Aeroplane Inspired Build

aidlook

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It looks like from that picture that you have a little bit of finish buildup on the lower left corner in the neck pocket. Make sure you don't have buildup or it won't fit right in the neck pocket. FWIW I always tape off the neck pocket area on the guitar and neck so I can use wood glue (or is this a bolt on? haven't really been following the thread).

Either way, it's looking nice. :D :D

BTW is that your shop? Looks very spacious and clean, very nice indeed.

sweet build! I'll be watching this one. :D

Yeah, I'd sand the heel of the neck down some to make sure it's flat and smooth. It will be somewhat protected from the elements by the neck pocket itself, and the grain has already been sealed, so it's all good.

I love seeing the creative and out of the ordinary projects on this site! Gets the brain moving in a positive way. Thanks! :D Hope this one turns out as well as it's gone so far.

Thanks for all the nice comments. The "buildup" in the picture is probably an optical illusion, nevertheless the heel will be sanded flat before sending. I will do the sides in aluminium as well, once the body is finished. I'm away at the moment and when I get back I'll only have a couple of days before I go away again. I'm going to America in april and I'm thinking of picking up some nice wood on my trip to use for the body. Anyone have any reccomendations on suppliers in LA, or Hawaii? I will also go to Canada but I want to avoid the hassle of bringing wood through customs in the US (don't know how picky they are).

That is not my private shop (I wish I could afford that kind of equipment) but a shop at school. It's got everything I need for both metal and woodworking, and I'm pretty much the only guy using the woodworking section regularily, so I'm happy (doesn't cost me either and I can use it after 5pm on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays :D).

• 4 months later...

Well..school, then I spent time building a car for a roll-over contest, me and a friend built a hovercraft from scratch (also came up with the design as we went), then I started building those effectspedals...then work. Didn't have any wood for the body and were always busy doing other stuff. Also I was teaching two friends how to build guitars, and they're not here for the summer and it's not as much fun building on your own.

Edited by aidlook

Fun? Screw that! It's RELAXING to build a guitar on your own!

That's my favorite time, man. No interruptions, no delays, no nagging girlfriends, just peace, quiet, and sawdust.

That's been me for the past 5 days. The house is a mess, the kitchen needs a good scrubbing, and I really should stop eating takeout because I'm too lazy to cook, but I've made good progress: two acoustics and one electric ready to spray, one electric almost ready to oil, two other electrics waiting for a pore fill and a finish, another waiting for a finish sanding, stain job, pore fill, inlay and finish, but they're all veeerrry close to the finish line..

Except it's not 'quiet' when I'm using the router. I likes my power tools.

I'm guessing the neighbors must hate me now....

That's my favorite time, man. No interruptions, no delays, no nagging girlfriends, just peace, quiet, and sawdust.

+1

Lock me in the basement with my wood, tools, and my mp3 player and leave me alone and I'm a dang happy guy.

That's the one thing I don't do, listen to music. Well, rarely anyway. While I'm translating, sure. Cycling, definitely. In the car, of course, but while I'm building I'm too focused on the work at hand. It's sort of a Zen meditative state of its very own, no need to add additional sound. Besides, when making acoustics I like to hear the wood, feel and listen to how it responds to a rub, a tap, a stroke...

That's the one thing I don't do, listen to music. Well, rarely anyway. While I'm translating, sure. Cycling, definitely. In the car, of course, but while I'm building I'm too focused on the work at hand. It's sort of a Zen meditative state of its very own, no need to add additional sound. Besides, when making acoustics I like to hear the wood, feel and listen to how it responds to a rub, a tap, a stroke...

i'm with you on this...i was planing some mahogany by hand earlier and just the sound of the antique wooden jack plane against the wood was really pleasing... gonna be a great guitar if it sounds good just levelling the blank

anyway, the aluminium on this guitar looks cool - looking forward to seeing it done

+1

Lock me in the basement with my wood, tools, and my mp3 player and leave me alone and I'm a dang happy guy.

+1 to both of you. My first build was an acoustic kit. I'd disappear for 2 hours a night while I french polished it. that time went real quick. My bass kit wasn't so relaxing though. I refinished it 3 times. oh well.

Oh and awesome idea with the aluminum. can't wait to see it done