New Projects - - Wood Dilema!

WezV

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think the gecko looks too bad - infact the original plan was for something very similar... only more stylish. i am going to cut oneout f maple and decide then
No, I love the gecko - (it was my first ever build and a really great bass), but you have to find a way to differentiate it enough from the warmoth design or it will look too much like a copied idea.

• 3 weeks later...
...you don't want it ending up looking like a warmoth gecko...

gecko_5string.jpg

Use that gecko and on the back in pearl letters put, "I just saved a bunch of money on my guitar insurance!"

Anyhow, I like it a lot, very cool idea. Personally, I love ziricote and would probably vote on a tad smaller silhouette just to show more of that beautiful fretboard off, though I think it'll be great either way. You picked an excellent piece of spalt, it really works well with both the shape and fretboard wood choice. Really turning out well and I can't wait to see it! Nice work. J

right, i am still considering the best way to approach the lizard inlay so i got the body done whilst i am figuring it out

Still a few holes to drill then its onto smoothing and sanding the whole thing

<snip>

th_s3-1.jpg

I hope you don't get chippings and dust in your cat litter trays, Wez....!

I love the pinstripe accents between the top and bottom....very nice touch in the thicknesses! Is it too late to suggest gloss black? :-D

Edited by Prostheta

actually i am considering a slight black tint to the top just to make it a little less pink.... maybe a very subtle black burst... we will see.

At the moment i am taking all my pics in my new kitchen on the nice wenge effect worktops that cost me so much money.... i am also wondering why i didnt design the kitchen with more space for concealed litter trays!!! :D

Got the neck carve done, well maybe there will be a little more work on the transistions but the bulk of its done

s5.jpg

At the moment i have left the headstock quite thick with recesses for the tuners. I will remove a bit more wood but the idea is for a stiffer headstock to prevent flapping. My headstocks are generally thicker than standard anyway and i do feel it helps so i am seeing if even thicker is better. Obviosuly weight is an issue but i am confident the guitar will still balance properly. the other issue is how much string post fits past the headstock. well at the moment not much does, but since they are locking tuners i dont need room for windings.... still going to knock it down a bit thinner though because it is a bit extreme as it is

th_s7.jpgth_s6.jpg

also been working on inlay ideas a bit more. decided to have a go with the original idea of a recon malachite lizard between 12th fret and the end of the board. Its only roughly cut out at mo but if the client like it i will proceed with the rest

th_inlay3.jpgth_inlay2.jpg

nah - no binding on this one, customer doesnt want it. I thought it would look better with it but i actually like it a lot now.. Of course i still have the issue of the side dots in the sapwood to sort out.. I dont really want to do different coloured dots on the sappy bit so i need something that shows up well in both wood colours

Agreed, love the new inlay! I'm glad you ended up downsizing the inlay a bit, I think it fits perfect as you did it and looks amazing. As for the side dots, I'm on the other side of the fence and think that a ying yang style mix would be cool. What I mean is black dots in sap wood and white dots in darker spots. I think it would look fairly cool, but the green idea doesn't sound too bad at all. Beautiful work and keep the pic coming, love that entire neck, just magnifico! J

• 1 month later...

progress is a bit slow at the moment but i have loads to finish off in the next few months

today i have been working on the John Birch inspired SG, got all the orugh carving work done but i still need to decide on a headstock shape i like for it

pk2.jpg

th_pk6.jpgth_pk5.jpgth_pk4.jpgth_pk3.jpg

here is the neck transition on a real john birch guitar that i am trying to emulate on this SG

th_DSCN2894.jpg

yeah, its a bit close aint it... on my own designs the pickup and controls are much closer together :D

i'm happy with the contouring around the horns but may deepen the bevels a bit more to give them more definition, i just wanted to get most of it done so i could look at it, feel it a bit, and see what needs to change