[drool emoticon]...

I guess he (the builder of the purple-burst) bought the wood from Larry (Gallery Hardwoods), but the guy who built that guitar has it posted over on the MIMF under the 'Proud of My Work' section (where all the finished guitars from all the builders who hang out/post there go, got one or two there meeself!)

But Larry's picture of it is wayy bigger and bolder! He's a super-nice guy too, and his prices are great in comparison to what I see on the 'bay most of the time.

If anyone here hasn't already taken a look at the mimf it definately worth a visit - great resource for builders of all levels of experience.

That's true but it is a very heavily moderated forum. They are very, very strict. Don't even think about posting a question without doing a thorough search of their archives first. It's a good idea but it can be difficult when you have to read through dozens of threads just to find out none of them answer your question.

I've also had members of their staff reply with one word answers (I've seen them do this to others also) when the question asks for a bit more than that.

On the other hand, the members do seem very sharp and can be quite helpful if you get the right people to respond. There's lots of good stuff in the archives.

That's where I got the idea that you should not directly stain/dye figured maple - only after applying some sort of oil/shelac... - an idea that no one here seemed to agree with. I'm done ranting about mimf now.

That's true but it is a very heavily moderated forum. They are very, very strict. Don't even think about posting a question without doing a thorough search of their archives first. It's a good idea but it can be difficult when you have to read through dozens of threads just to find out none of them answer your question.

I've also had members of their staff reply with one word answers (I've seen them do this to others also) when the question asks for a bit more than that.

On the other hand, the members do seem very sharp and can be quite helpful if you get the right people to respond. There's lots of good stuff in the archives.

That's where I got the idea that you should not directly stain/dye figured maple - only after applying some sort of oil/shelac... - an idea that no one here seemed to agree with. I'm done ranting about mimf now.

They can seem strict, but that is the strength of the site. The library is Huuu-uuGE and does contain most of the answers you'll need, if you look hard enough. Initially I thought they were too disciplinarian and kind of uptight, but after a while you come to appreciate the fact that BS is not tolerated - if anyone posts anything which is misleading, dangerous or downright stupid, there is always someone experienced who will call them on it. As a result the information there is very good, and the forum is very focussed. If you stick to the rules (which are all pretty reasonable) then you will find the place very rewarding.

However - if you are a noob, who loves to idly speculate about possibilities you've never tried, likes to post heresay as fact, and generally perpetuate all the myths and misconceptions guitars players & manufacturers create, then stay the hell away... you will not enjoy your stay! :D