Set Neck Desiree

This will be my first set neck Desiree, and indeed my first proper desiree after the fuss that was kicked up about the last one, which i now diplomatically call my prototype hehe. this will be the first set neck iv done since the first two guitars i made, so about seven years since the last one (im so old!). my last four have all been bolt ons, and all maple necks, so this one will be a nice (i hope) change.

i havent got the neck blank yet, but its a one piece wenge blank. dont know what fingerboard im going for yet, so any suggestions are welcome.

the body is 32mm thick, two piece south american mahogany.

here's the body blank with the chambering done:

pic

the top is bookmatched 1" thick flamed maple, making the guitar amost 2 1/2" thick. which is quite chunky, as you can see here:

pic

as im doing a set neck, i thought id do a prs type body angle so the top is parallel with the strings. again, something iv never done before. i made a surfacing router jig, but added some extra bolts so i could put angles onto it too.

pic

pic 2

there are some nice little bits of spalt (i think - correct me if im wrong) in the maple which i didnt know were there till i cut it (by hand!!???) for bookmatching. some of them are gone after carving but ah well

pic

after that i started carving. i thought id try doing it all by hand this time, as opposed to an angle grinder like before.

this was after the first day. well, a couple of hours, but thats all i did that day:

pic

i quicly realised id be there till christmas if i was to keep going with my chisels, so i took the bulk of it off with the angle grinder, leaving enough for me to do by hand so i dont feel like iv cheated too much. this is after day two of carving:

pic

pic 2

day three:

pic

pic 2

pic 3

and today. obviously my router bit isnt so sharp. hence the annoying burn marks (that refuse to move!!)in the little contol areas:

th_20102007187.jpgth_20102007186.jpgth_20102007185.jpg

20102007184.jpg

obviously i havent done the cutaways yet. just waiting till iv routed for the neck, so theres no chance of messing it up. for the colour im thinking of a dark abalone type colour. i have it in myhead, just hope i can do it on the wood

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent really planned anything yet. i shall see what the colour comes out like and then see what colour hardware will go with it. im going for a fixed bridge again though, and a humbucker sized p90 in neck i think.

iv been browsing through gilmerwood the last few days actually, having a peek. i shall have to have a good think. and also wait till i get the neck to see what would go well with it

Damn, hoogle! I feel like I keep commenting on your builds in the same way, nothing substantial to say, no criticisms, just plain ol' good job :D You gotta be doing something right!

How thick is the guitar now, since you've carved/angled the body? I'd never see myself playing a 2+ inch thick guitar, hahaa

That's gone right up my flagpole mate, it's luuuurvely.

Just a thought, what is it going to be like finishing? Where you've got the change in levels at the top (behind the bridge), if you stain it, will the vertical bit drink more or less stain than the rest and give you a darker/lighter colour. I'm a complete finishing numpty so don't know myself, but it was the first thing that jumped out at me.

But like I said, that's gorgeous. I'd be tempted to leave it fairly natural, maybe just oil it. Not all figured wood has to be blue :D

and it makes my nose bleed. which isnt good. but i shall soldier on.

Damn, wear a mask!!!! Wenge dust is pretty hard on the respiratory system. It's not about being 'a soldier'.. You already lost.

Nice neck by the way. What kind of finish will be used for the fingerboard top? Wenge has all these little streaks, and it splinters very easily.

Edited by MescaBug

• 4 weeks later...