Electric Mandocello

Here's something ya don't see everyday:

mcello1.jpg

I mentioned this project briefly in another post regarding string gauges, and a couple people expressed interest in it, so here is what I have so far.

A mandocello, for those who don't know, is a member of the mandolin family in the range of a cello, with 8 strings grouped in pairs, like a mandolin.

My version is a bit different, with octave strings instead of unison pairs, ( kinda like the lower strings of a 12 string guitar ) and a slightly longer scale length ( 26.25" ) And, as you can see, it is electric. :D

It will be tuned in fifths, Cc-Gg-Dd-Aa

The body is 1 piece of Kentucky Coffetree, hollowed out in the middle, and the neck is hard maple, with a scarf jointed headstock, and Mesquite fingerboard. The pickguard is padauk.

Here's a pic without the pickguard:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/orgmorg/mcello3.jpg

And a closer one with it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/orgmorg/mcello2.jpg

The bridge will be made of mesquite, with 8 movable brass saddles.

Thanks.

Ya, I think this one will be a lot of fun, both to build and to play.

We do a lot of celtic-influenced stuff in our group, and this will fit in quite nicely with that.

It also gives me something to do with this pickup, which is a Dearmond turbo jet bass pickup. I got it, and a few others a while back, and later realised the pole piece spacing was too narrow for a standard bass. I don't know what they were made for, probably something like the old Hagstrom basses, but the string spacing works out just right for this.

The neck will be set, with the fretboard ending just past the top edge of the pickguard ( which will be cut to fit it later ) and the neck shaft extending underneath the guard, ending just before the hollowed out area. There are 24 fret slots now, but I am going to trim it back to 22.

Very cool. I really like the entire concept of the build, but more than that, I truly love that design. I would love to see a slightly tweaked version for a solid body with a cool carved top. I really look forward to seeing this build progress, please keep posting and snappin' pics, great stuff. Best of luck. J

I have those bass pup's on a build - I love 'em. I've heard some folks have redone them fender style, with magnet pole pieces instead of steel slugs and the magnet below and like them even more.

This is cool - I'm really looking foward to seeing the finished build.

• 2 weeks later...

That is the most 'evil' looking mandocello I've seen. I dig it. :D

Having that low C tuned as an octave pair might be a very good idea. Those low Cs can get awfully loose when tuned in unison. I'll be really interested in hearing this thing when finished. I don't think I've ever heard a mandocello tuned in octave pairs. Is it possible for you to post sound files?

Great project!

Thanks! I have no idea how to even begin to post a sound file, but if I can figure out how, I certainly will.

I have a Tascam digital 8 track recorder, and I will be recording stuff with this instrument anyway, when I get it done, so I guess that is something to work with.

I am anxious to hear this thing as well. :D

• 2 weeks later...

More progress:

Neck is done, and attached to body. The pocket ended up a hair too wide, so I had to set the neck 1/8" forward to get a good fit, hence the gap at the heel. It will get covered by the pickguard, but I'm wondering if I ought to fill it anyway.

Here it is with several coats of tru-oil, and 2 coats of wipe-on poly:

mcello8.jpg

back view

Edit: changed pic to link

Edited by orgmorg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, glad you like 'em! On both instruments the 3 lower courses are tuned in octaves, the 8 was 24.75 scale length, the 10 was 25.5". On the 10 as well I built it with humbuckers and a transducer in the bridge, with stereo outputs. It sounded HUGE!! I was sad to see it go, but I've got more insanity in the works. Currently working on an 8 string electric classical, and a fanned fret 9 string electric!

• 4 months later...

Orgmorg, this looks like a cool project and I can't wait to see it finished. :D Not sure if it will be a mandocello, but at some point I would like to build some small scale type of instrument.

Weezer2112, cool projects too. And that first one is AMAZING!

Cool, thanks for bumping this back up again, I really need to get back on tis project one of these days.

Got so much other stuff going on at the moment, though.

Trying to get at least 4 guitars done in the next month for a show I have coming up, so it will be a while before I can finish this one up.