Butternut 8 String Bass

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Oh, Man! What an amazing looking guitar! Your wood choices are just impressive, they just suit each other so well. I can't stop looking at it, it flows perfectly, fretboard, body, neck, all of it. Very nice work and excellent wood choices! I still can't get over how great that cherry neck looks either, nice stuff. Keep the pics coming in! J

I'm doing an oil finish on the whole thing. Starting with danish oil ( Watco ) rubbing it in with 0000 steel wool, then it will get a few coats of tru-oil, followed by many coats of Minwax wipe-on poly.

Thanks again for all the compliments, I'm glad everyone is digging this as much as I am.

And Happy Birthday, Jason! :D

Hahaha, this rarely happens when I'm forum-mongering, but I literally said "oh s**t!" out loud just now :D

Is that a textured/marble pickguard, or is it just the reflection? Either way, it looks awesome!

Is the finish finished? And I'm interested to see how the bridge works out on this one. Also, any plans to follow up the black-on-yellow pattern up to the headstock?

:D

The pickguard is just plain black plastic. That's reflections you are seeing.

Still working on the finish.

I usually like to have a veneer on a headstock to match the body, but I didn't want to cover up the cherry with butternut. I think it will be busy enough looking with the figured cherry and 8 black tuners of two different sizes. I couldn't think of anything to add that wouldn't clutter it up too much.

Savin' the bridge for last. :D

Screwed it up pretty good yesterday. :D

I was drilling for the ground wire between the bridge and the control cavity, and went trhough the back. I had plotted it out pretty well on paper, so I'm guessing the drill bit flexed in the hole and took a turn downward.

I probably could have patched it, but I never would have been happy with it.

Thought about doing an inlay, but who inlays the back of a guitar?

People who screw up the back, that's who. :D

So what is something that is commonly seen on the back of a guitar?

A control cover

So I routed it for a battery compartment cover

There won't actually be a battery, or even a cavity, so it is just a dummy cover, but it is much more appropriate than an inlay.

Why, you ask?

Have a look under the cover:

Dummy Cover

B)

And who knows, maybe someday I will want to install a preamp.

Anyhoo.. I also got more work done on the bridge:

8str8.jpg

bottom

It is basically two pieces of wood. The first ( top pic ) is the main body which holds the saddles, and in which the strings are anchored.

The second ( link ) is a cap that covers the heads of the allen bolts, thus holding them captive, eliminating the need for springs.

The four big holes along the bottom of the cap are just for the screws that hold it to the main body.

The eight holes above them are for inserting an allen key to adjust the saddles. ( intonation )

Above that, recessed into the main body, are the holes for the strings. Next step is to put a thin copper plate in there with a ground wire soldered to it, which will go down thru a hole in the bottom of the bridge, into the hole I srewed up earlier.

The whole unit is height adjustable via 4 bolts, here is a cross section , front to back, showing how this works:

detail

The bridge is height adjustable, as a whole unit, basically suspended between the two pairs of bolts in stepped holes. The ones in the back hold it down, while the ones in the front hold it up, as the strings attempt to torque the whole thing forward. The tapered backs of the flathead bolds and the round tops of the roundhead bolts engaged in the ledge created by the stepped holes allow it to pivot.

In addition the front of the bridge bears against the wall of the cavity in the body it is recessed into.

Edit: changed extra pics to links

Edited by orgmorg

Let me be the first to congratulate you on that bridge! That is one fine piece of work, and must have taken a lot of trial and error to get right. Here's my comment sheet:

-Nice work on the battery box cover :D Oh, Sanford and Son

-What types of wood are the pieces made out of?

-What is the range of height adjustability?

-Is there enough space between string holes so that the ball-end of the strings aren't bumping into each other?

--Or shouldn't each string hole be directly above the corresponding intonation screw?

-Are there inserts in the body where the mounting screws will attach to? Should there be?

--My main concern with that is - god forbid - the tension from 8 strings is enough to strip the screws out of the holes, gouging up the wood pretty badly.

-Will the intonation screws wear out the wood they're drilled through?

--I suppose because all the parts are removable, you could always make another bridge if need be

---Hell, why not have interchangeable bridge parts made of different woods that you can switch out for ultimate tonal variety? :D

-With no guide or secondary bolt to keep the saddles straight, is there the possibility for them to fall over if two adjacent saddles are so far apart that the brass pieces are no longer touching?

--They seem to be sitting flush right on the bridge piece, and the tension from the strings will put pressure on them. So maybe not.

So that's it! Let me tell you again how impressive that setup is B) Congrats!

Yes, quite a bit of trial and error, part of which became the cutaway view above. :D

What types of wood are the pieces made out of?

They are persimmon, like the fretboard.

What is the range of height adjustability?

About 1/4" I doubt I will even have to go half that, though.

Is there enough space between string holes so that the ball-end of the strings aren't bumping into each other?

Yes, the recess has a round bottom, and the ball ends nest in it side by side.

--Or shouldn't each string hole be directly above the corresponding intonation screw?

Remember, the strings are paired- a fundamental and an octave per course, so each string actually sits near the edge of it's saddle

-

Are there inserts in the body where the mounting screws will attach to? Should there be?

Yes, and yes. Threaded brass inserts

--My main concern with that is - god forbid - the tension from 8 strings is enough to strip the screws out of the holes, gouging up the wood pretty badly

Yes, hence the inserts.

Will the intonation screws wear out the wood they're drilled through?

No, the only movement of the screws is to set the intonation, and that will probably only be done once. Also, the persimmon is very dense and hard.

--I suppose because all the parts are removable, you could always make another bridge if need be

---Hell, why not have interchangeable bridge parts made of different woods that you can switch out for ultimate tonal variety?

Because I am not that ambitious ( or superstitious B) )

With no guide or secondary bolt to keep the saddles straight, is there the possibility for them to fall over if two adjacent saddles are so far apart that the brass pieces are no longer touching?

We shall see. That is a valid concern, especially with the strings on the edges of the saddles. If it becomes a problem, I can swap saddles around so that the top bevels alternate. That way, each pair will be aligned so that they hold each other up.

Edit: No, actually I would have to make four new saddles to do that.

FWIW Doug Irwin did inlays on the back.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who screws up like this. :D

Edited by orgmorg

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! It looks great and it's cool how much you did yourself (using local woods, making bridge and pickguard, etc.). You should be proud! :D

Thanks! :D

No worries on the saddles, the're all fully threaded on the screws.

How does one post a sound clip?

What sort of file/format is required, and how would I get it into that form?

I've seen a lot of folks throw them up on Youtube. It seems to be the easiest method, especially for people who don't have their own server to host.

Rapidshare or another file service is doable too. An mp3 or wav format always works, although the file compression on a wav file is laughable :D

If it's too much trouble to get into, by all means don't do it on my account. Just curious, that's all, I've never heard a double-coursed bass before.