Fanned Fret Five String

A new project is brewing. I want to put together a fanned-fret 5-string, low E to high C, 34.5" scale for the low E up to 32.5" scale for the C. 46mm nut, some wood left over from previous builds include some nice sawn and planed maple for a bolt-on neck, and a mahogany-zebrano sandwich body.

Here's first plan sketch - everything else is up for grabs.

plan-1.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 34.5" is such a long scale length for a bass, its a good compromise and only half an inch longer than standard Fender precision or jazz. My standard fretted B to G 5 string has a 35" scale. The rule of thumb for fanned frets seems to be that the scale length steps 3/4" per string in order to optimise the frequency resonse and tension benefits this type of construction gives.

Regarding pickups and pre-amps, i have still to decide. Too much choice - any suggestions and recommedations gratefully received.

:D You've been working a lot lately! I can't wait to see this one come along, since your other stuff looks so great. I really like the body design...it looks slightly familiar, where did you get the inspiration from?

The body shape is basically a slightly tweaked Warmoth Gecko profile with a little more waist and the heel cut in, apparently very like a Digwall - although I drew this out before being directed to the Dingwall site and realising the similarity - honest!

The plan started off with me drawing round the outline of my Gecko 5-string then making the waist a bit more pronounced. Glad you like it :D

The fret markers are not keepers, it looks like a load of dominos.

I agree on the fret markers. They have to go. Otherwise, it's a really nice looking drawing. Are you going to extend the neck heel to the front pickup, and go for a heel-less bolt on?

I haven't had an opportunity to play on a fanned fret bass, but I must say the concept is intriguing and I am pretty curious about it. Too bad I don't know anywhere to go to try one out.

This should be a cool build. I saw the last project you worked on and was very impressed! Now stop reading and start cutting!! :D

Edited by Bassisgreat

Started work on the fanned 5 body this morning. Here's the shape copied onto Simo's Sapele, I sandwiched a thin veneer of white wood into the join, which adds a nice centre-line mark and also helps to hide any of my bad jointing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/al_heeley/body1.jpg

Here's the basic body shape jigsawed out, sanded smooth and some countouring started.

body2-1.jpg

Progress started on the neck. Sorry, not a very exciting picture. Maple blocks glued together with a thin light wood veneer centre stripe to match the body.

Here the truss rod channel has been routed, truss rod installed and the wood fillet inserted over the top and and planed flat.

On previous builds I have really struggled to get a nice neat trim fillet after mucking about with planes and sanders.

This time I used a rasp and surform and got it flush and smooth in about 30 seconds. Marvellous! Never neglect those little hand tools, these silly little jobs can be a real pain with the big power tools and a small surform stands far less chance of taking nasty chunks out of your neck.

f5neck1.jpg

Hey Al, it looks like you've routed the truss rod channel all the way through the top of the headstock. :D Is the route that long by design? Could you explain the reasoning for this? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I thought the route should end shortly after the adjustment nut (just enough space for adjustment tool access).

Thanks!

And the bass is looking phenomenal!

You are on the ball, Prostheta - there's about a 10 degree angle on the headstock so once thats planed off the truss rod channel pokes out nicely so you can access for adjustment. I'll have a bit of a volute underneath to make up for the lack of wood and strengthen the area back up. If all else fails, I'll have an extra long trc screwed on to hide the channel!

Looks like it's going to be a one-piece angled headstock - the tilt (if there's enough drop in there) should end the recess halfway through the headstock? I gotta say, it looks a bit touch and go with that depth Al. Hope you've got that one under control.

Agreed, that makes me wary. That's how I did it on my neck for my current build, and is one of the reasons why I put a veneer on the headstock.

I just rechecked the dimensions. The channel rout is 12mm deep, this means it will run through just over half (maybe 9/16ths) the length of the headstock before the angle breaks into flat wood, if you get my meaning. If this looks bad, I may think about filling the channel with a piece of rosewood or wenge left over from trimming my last fingerboard down. Only then I would need to run it the entire length of the headstock. Hmm, I'll reassess this once the angle is planed.