Avia Hh-1000 #001 Build

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup it's to gauge exact depth, might sound ghetto but I wrap a piece of bright clean tape around the exact depth that I want and carefully drill each hole in an exact distance from the CENTER not the sides since there will still be final side width sanding. I just got back from camp so I haven't had a chance to work on it but I PROMISE you I will have updates within the couple hours to couple days depending on how much time I can find.

PS: Theres a decent amount of people asking me to build/prices for models like this current build, and for reference the price will START at around $2000 up to about $2700 (depending on hardware/wood choice) just for the first 10 builds, after that the prices should float around $3500. Take Care Guys, - Josh

Yup it's to gauge exact depth, might sound ghetto but I wrap a piece of bright clean tape around the exact depth that I want...

Then I guess we're both Boyz In Da Hood, because that's what I do too. I figure to eventually get some real depth guages eventually. For now, the tape works fine. I think I read that tip in a book, actually.

PS: Theres a decent amount of people asking me to build/prices for models like this current build, and for reference the price will START at around $2000 up to about $2700 (depending on hardware/wood choice) just for the first 10 builds, after that the prices should float around $3500. Take Care Guys, - Josh

i would be carefull about taking on orders for that kind of money untill you have built more than 1 guitar. obviously its your business and your choice and the work does look great so far.. but be carefull about staking your name and reputation on those 'first' guitars :D

WezV, I totally agree! I wouldn't think of starting to take orders until a better foundation is built, but it has to be built somehow and I obviously can't afford to build and give away guitars there has to be at least breaking flat in profit, invovled.

I mean I've played for a long time, and I've played every popular brand out there including some custom guitars. I know fairly accurate the difference between a custom shop guitar and an inexperienced woodworking project. If I felt that anything I made wasn't up to the standards of some of the best guitars made I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it ya know?

And it is the first concept that I've created and made myself minus the initial neck, but again you have to remember I've been stripping/refinishing guitars for years and I've done alot of work repairing just as a side/hobby job over my playing lifetime.

I guess my question to you is how would one start out a guitar building business if he didn't start out by making and selling guitars? I would obviously offer a 100% return as well to make sure whoever might be skeptical would have a chance to have it in their hands. I'm not taking offence to anything you've said don't get me wrong i'm just wondering what you're view point is on how one should approach this business if not by making and selling guitars.

Vinny, i have no clue what yer talking about =] I had to remake the neck angle because of the underbridge ebony base I made even tho it was only 1/8" thick I like things being mathematically pleasing, it'd bother me to no end if it wasn't.

i'm not really the person to ask since i am not really doing this as my full time job yet... for me it is something i do mainly because i enjoy it so my first guitars were done purely for fun and for the experience and i still try to keep it mainly for fun. Personally i am too slow to make a living doing this at the moment so i am not going to go into business making guitars as my full time job just yet

I think you should build the guitars and develop your repair and refinishing business - but i wouldnt decide on a price for the guitars just yet..

so far your work looks excellent and its obvious you have put a lot of time and research into this even if you havnt built a guitar yet, so i am not trying to be patronising.. its obvious you will be able to make guitars for the values you say.... but i do think there will be a learning curve... your 2nd guitar will be substantially better than your 1st and this will carry on with every guitar you make. So if you price your 1st and 10th at $2000 maybe the 10th customer is getting a great deal and the 1st is paying over the odds.

my point is simply this... dont focus on how much money you will get making guitars untill you have made a guitar or two and have developed your skills enough to make guitars at a speed where you are getting a decent hourly rate... and dont forget you also have to develop a name for yourself to ask higher prices -that may take more than 10 guitars

out of my my first ten guitars 7 were not commisions and i never sold, 3 were. the people that had those 3 had them at cost - my view is that those people shouldnt pay for my learning. Its not actually till my 18th guitar when i started to sell at what i would call a reasonable price... and it was still below what the market value would be for a custom made guitar of that spec.. but thats me not pushing them hard i suppose and most of my customers do tell me i undercharge.

Its worth saying that you are already way ahead of the point where i started.. my first guitar wasnt great but yours looks like it will be

I just looked over your website, nice instruments! I'm really impressed. Ya know it makes alot of sense the way you said it, I should probably charge cost until i have a foundation laid. At this point even though it's my first build I'm doing it just because I think it's awesome and fun to do! Could I ask what you charge for some different models and how many instruments you build per year roughly? To be honest at this point I don't have near the time to make anything even close to fulltime building; a couple per year would be adequate initially.

Thanks for your comments as well! I appreciate them

Im really liking your work pied, i am aspiring to start my own business in the future, i am only 16 so im getting all my practice ones done now:P im on my third build now, and i have to agree with Wez every instrument is leaps and bounds ahead of the other in quality. There are also lots of different learning curves for building say Extended range instruments, to neck through and all of that sort, but i wish you luck!

Bass-man43

i am currently making about 5-6 a year and the average price is around £1000 ($2000) for commisions but that creeping up slowly at the moment. i do about 2-3 commisions, the rest of the guitars i build are things i really want to do so i try and make them a bit different each time - i usually end up selling these off cheaper than the comissions.. mainly because finding the right buyer is harder

i am not a good business man :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my take (and believe me, I've thought a lot about this topic): WezV is right. Get to 10, and by then your business should start developing naturally. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a plan now, and to aim for it. Think about this: would you pony up 2-3k for a guitar, even if it looked really nice, if you knew the guy had only built that ONE? I'd certainly have reservations, no matter how sweet the work was.

And as many have said in here before, it doesn't make sense to have an idea that you can make a lot of money doing this. Of course you COOOUUULD, but that isn't what you should be aiming at right now.

a 10" Hitachi tilt head from lowes hehe it was only $180 but I tested it last night and I could thickness saw a 7X5X.5 piece of maple, cutting a 1/16 layer off the top and it worked absolutely beautiful so it should be fine for cutting most things! Only thing I can't do is like guitar tops and billets. I dont have the money to buy a bandsaw that can cut something that high I think you're looking at $1000 + for ones of that stature. =]