Guitar Smell

I have a Guild acoustic that is 15 years old. I don't play it much so it stays in its case.

The guitar still has a wonderful strong woody smell.

I have a Gibson 335 that is 10 years old. It stays in the case, too. Though I do play it a good bit.

It still has a woody smell, but only if you press your nose to the f-hole.

I am looking into having a custom hollow tele built and I want it to have and keep a real strong woody smell.

It may be a dumb question, but is there any way to encourage or preserve the smell of the guitar?

Thanks.

I have a Guild acoustic that is 15 years old. I don't play it much so it stays in its case.

I have a Gibson 335 that is 10 years old. It stays in the case, too. Though I do play it a good bit.

I am looking into having a custom hollow tele built and I want it to have and keep a real strong woody smell.

It may be a dumb question, but is there any way to encourage or preserve the smell of the guitar?

Thanks.

Just place some fresh wood shavings in occasionally, that should do it. :D

just kidding :D I have no clue what will happen with age on any given wood over time so, if smell is what you are looking for Do what you have done with those that please you so far and hopefully it will be the same result.

BTW welcome to PG and sorry for the gig at you, I just couldn't resist. B)

MK

My guess is that it's wood dependent. My cedar topped Taylor (w. cocobolo) smells FANTASTIC, especially if it's been sitting in the case a while. Granted it's only 6 years old, but by comparison my es-135 (maple ply) is completely scentless.

- Dave

spray a light coat of clear on it when the smell fades scratch off a little bit and inhale! scratch and sniff guitar!

OR even better design a retro fit scratch and sniff pick guard you could have different flavours yum.

Ever since the neighbor's (female) cat has decided she likes my office/studio better than her own home, I get regular visits from the local tomcats

My cat pissed on my stereo it was still warm it was not nice.

Edited by joshvegas

Just place some fresh wood shavings in occasionally, that should do it. :D

just kidding :D

You are joking but I was seriously considering something like this. Make a little sachet of wood shavings and some other things and drop it in through the f-hole. Or maybe just drop one in the case. Couldn't hurt, right?

It may seem a little obsessive but I want a guitar that hits as many senses as possible. While I don't plan on tasting it I think it can have impact on all the others.

Edited by ThirtyOne

Don't finish the guitar. Leave it bare wood, you don't want anything covering over the woody smell! Don't take it out of the case too often, else it'll pick up the smells of the surrounding area.

The above is all sarcasm. Your guild smells more because it gets played less I'll bet. Every time you're playing your ES-335 for a while, take the guild out of its case. When you're done, put them both back. Bet the smell will fade soon.

Edited by Supernova9

i reckon the guild smells more because it has unfinished spruce inside, spruce does smell quite nice. The 335 will be maple laminates, i just dont think that smells as much as spruce.

as mentioned above cedar also has a nice smell but out of the hardwoods my favorite has to be imbuya (AKA brazilian walnut, Pheobe Porosa) - wonderfull and peppery and will easily fill a room if you have a body blank in it

My advice would be to pick woods known for a nice smell (avoid zebrano!!!) and leave the wood raw inside with some scent (sound) holes. obivously the smell will diminish with age

i reckon the guild smells more because it has unfinished spruce inside, spruce does smell quite nice. The 335 will be maple laminates, i just dont think that smells as much as spruce.

as mentioned above cedar also has a nice smell but out of the hardwoods my favorite has to be imbuya (AKA brazilian walnut, Pheobe Porosa) - wonderfull and peppery and will easily fill a room if you have a body blank in it

My advice would be to pick woods known for a nice smell (avoid zebrano!!!) and leave the wood raw inside with some scent (sound) holes. obivously the smell will diminish with age

HEY its getting kind girly in here! :D :D

HEY its getting kind girly in here! :D :D

Yeah just poor a bottle of jack on it once in a while! or beer! and these were my two least gross suggestions B)

You know in all seriousness A "sacraficial" scratchplate made out of an unfinished fragrant wood would work wouldn't it and any damage on it would just release more fragrance!

Does zebrano smell of turd or something?

Edited by joshvegas

some of the zebrano i have had has smelled just like day old vomit... apparently not all of it smells though - i guess it depends where the tree grew

..although i must say, i thought the girliest suggestion in this thread was a sachet of wood chippings... might as well wrap it up in gingham, tie it up with a bit of pink ribbon and be done with it. Actually i suppose the ribbon would help with retrieval of the sachet :D

every piece of zebrawood I've had the dubious honor to deal with has smelled like cow crap to me. Depending on how dry it is, the smell might change but I've noticed that the more moisture, the less smell. I cut my wood at 6-10% moisture and it always smells.

Cocobolo always ends up smelling like fish oil once it drys.

Spanish Cedar kerfed linings adds a nice scent. Spruce also has a nice scent.Some rosewoods have a nice scent (brazilian, Honduran come to mind). Western Red Cedar has a nice scent. If you want the smell you are recognizing as woody I suspect using these types of woods are your best option. I suppose you could place a couple bits of freshly cut wood in the case to give you a strong first hit, and fill a room with that scent.

Maybe someone makes a bottle of "new guitar" air freshener you could use to bring it back as it fades(or maybe there is a market for little packets of saw dust, I keep having to pack out of my shop, hmmmm....). I would be willing to let anyone who wants to clean my dust collector inhale all the scent they can handle :D:D

Peace,Rich

>snip< hmmmm....). I would be willing to let anyone who wants to clean my dust collector inhale all the scent they can handle :D:D

Peace,Rich

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I've got some nice maple dust , mixed with camphor burl for a nice accented after scent, and i believe it may have a small touch of ash for that hint of rain B)

MK

>snip< hmmmm....). I would be willing to let anyone who wants to clean my dust collector inhale all the scent they can handle :D:D

Peace,Rich

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I've got some nice maple dust , mixed with camphor burl for a nice accented after scent, and i believe it may have a small touch of ash for that hint of rain B)

MK

Technically speaking (and I'll ask the wife when she wakes up, as she'll definately know), I think if you encourage the smell then you're doing the opposite of preserving it. The stronger the smell, then the more the material is degrading.

ToneMonkey - answers so pedantic, you could mistake him for a bank manager :D

• 1 month later...

old guitar smell beats "old person's house" smell.

There's no smell like the smell of an old person's house... provided they've lived in it for a few years AS old people.

The only thing that might come close is mothballs.

Do NOT put mothballs in your guitar, or your guitar case-- it will smell like an old person's house inside your guitar or guitar case.

Thanks.

hahahah I'm sorry but this is possibly the most rediculous post ever....this is why I don't check PGF much anymore.

hahahah I'm sorry but this is possibly the most rediculous post ever....this is why I don't check PGF much anymore.

And you are.... who exactly? I don't recall you ever contributing rediculous(sic) amounts of wisdom to the forum... or any amounts of wisdom at all.

For what it is worth, I saw this question posted over at the OLF about a week before I saw it here. I would bet it has been posed on other forums also. As odd as the question sounds, there are people who like the smell of certain woods. Not really notable on solid bodies that are sealed up pretty well, but in the acoustic world many time the wood remains exposed on the interior.

Sorry to hear PG is a little below your level of knowledge, or maturity, or whatever it is that offends you. You have to find a forum that is a good fit for you.

Peace,Rich