Third Project, A Paula.

Holy Mother Of Pearl! That is one beautiful looking carve!!! Looking excellent especially for a mock up, can't wait to see it finished. Very well done and great choices on everything.

Yeah if I were you I would find some quality picture of fire and tell the customer your shop burnt down along with their guitar and you will be starting a fresh one for them, that way you can keep this one, seriously!

Thanks for the encouragement !!

You're idea has some merit, but I don't think it's going to fly...

Firstly, my "shop" is in the attic... if it had really burnt down I wouldn't probably be able to even explain all this to the customer.

Secondly, the customer is my 17 years old only son. I've done done my fair share in complicating his life already...

Thirdly.... I have plans for my own: It's going to have a rosewood neck (I love RW necks...) and it will be hollow, carved on the top AND the back.... But I'm likely to clone this carving, I like it a lot.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! I don't like the recess on the toggle, takes away from the flow of the carve (IMO) but like you say about the heel, it is a matter of taste. On mine, I didn't bleach the top. Here is a link to my thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=27786&hl=

This maple was a little yellower than yours, I started doing some test pieces of stain and tinted coats, and I can tell you that the best finished pieces that I got were done with a hybrid approach. Staining the curls, sanding it back to the depth of color you want, sealing that with a few clear coats and shooting tinted clear on top. Somehow it made the grain look deeper.

Overall I like your build a lot!

Yeah I know what you mean about rosewood necks, I have the same idea for my next neck. Rosewood w/ziricote fretboard with curly maple binding :D

What a great gift for your son, that is very neat. I'm sure he'll treasure it. I hope you know I was joking btw, I realize now I should have added a smiley or left off the seriously, though that guitar might temp me to throw ethics out the window, lol. Anyhow, very nice work. Looking back I read you mention a dilemma I went through about belly carve or not. I really needed one due to my design just wouldn't have been comfortable, but it was tricky with the heavy chambering. I ended up doing this rolling belly carve (tough to explain) and honestly it is even more comfortable than any standard belly carve that I have felt and I have no idea why. Glad I did it, but it was a gamble for sure. Again, nice work. Jason

Wow !!! Thanks so much for the kind words !!! :D

The carving is intended to be the single-cut version of this one. Which in turn I borrowed (rather shamelessly) from PRS, obviously. The idea was to create a sort of a hybrid between the PRS single-cut (of which I don't like the outline) and a Les Paul (which could use a more dramatic carve, IMO). I decided to get rid of the big scoop in the cutaway for two reasons: it really adds very little to upper fret access, it's more psychological than anything, and because it makes it look a little too PRS. I think I got a good balance between both designs.

It is intended as a new year AND birthday gift to my son. As he'll be 18 in March but I don't think I'll be able to be there. I could have bought him a Les Paul, but thought that something handmade by me would mean a little more in years to come if not right now. (And maybe one day owning a Blackdog with a low serial number like #003 will be worth some money, who knows... :D )

@Maiden69: Amazing blue quilt you got there. Somehow I had missed your build thread. Interesting that you got such a nice deep blue with that yellower top. I tried the blue thing on my previous build, but the growth rings on the maple persisted in popping up yellow giving the whole thing a greenish tint...

At the time I can only work with stains and clear coating, as I do not have any spraying equipment. I still work with rattle cans...

@jmrentis: Of course I knew you were joking. Now that description you make about the belly carve sounds interesting, but can't seem to picture t in my head. Got any pictures of that ??

@Maiden69: Amazing blue quilt you got there. Somehow I had missed your build thread. Interesting that you got such a nice deep blue with that yellower top. I tried the blue thing on my previous build, but the growth rings on the maple persisted in popping up yellow giving the whole thing a greenish tint...

At the time I can only work with stains and clear coating, as I do not have any spraying equipment. I still work with rattle cans...

That guitar was painted with a Preval can, the finish is so much better than any rattle can I have used! (I have not used the colortone from Stew so I can't comment on those) It is still cheaper than to buy a lot of good cans from Stew.

Now I used a small compressor I bought, I think that if I had bought the compressor to begin with, I would had saved a couple of hundreds on cans.

@jmrentis: Of course I knew you were joking. Now that description you make about the belly carve sounds interesting, but can't seem to picture t in my head. Got any pictures of that ??

I don't have any decent ones, but I will get some maybe tonigh and get you one here soon, just as an idea. Its too difficult to explain well, but as I said, I really found it very comfortable, more so than a standard belly cut. How it looks and and how difficult it will be to finish remains to be seen, but shouldn't be bad I don't think. Again, great looking build, those pics definitely display your skills. Get you a pic soon hopefully. Jason

Progress report.

Too late for a Bigsby or a wraparound... (I have to admit that the second would have been my personal choice)

Got the bridge, so now it is installed, together with the tailpiece.

IMG_0400.jpg

A mandatory fit-check to verify that the hardware aligns well.

IMG_0402.jpg

The high E string can barely be seen in the picture, but I can tell you that it all aligns perfectly.

I still need to drill for the strap hold buttons, level the frets and inlay the logo on the headstock. Then disassemble everything to start the finishing phase.

We're getting closer....

Beautiful and clean work blackdog. my only question is, did you put a smaller template on top then routed the sides to achieve that binding look? I know it

may be a stupid question but I'm trying to learn. Keep up the good work. Checking out your guitar is now a guilty pleasure. It distracts me from doing my

term papers! Happy Building!

Beautiful and clean work blackdog. my only question is, did you put a smaller template on top then routed the sides to achieve that binding look? I know it

may be a stupid question but I'm trying to learn. Keep up the good work. Checking out your guitar is now a guilty pleasure. It distracts me from doing my

term papers! Happy Building!

Thanks a lot, I'm really happy with how this build is coming out.

I understand that the "binding effect" you are referring to is the effect of the "lip" and recurve routings. I don't know if there are better english names for these. But this are two steps i do well before the carving, while the top is still flat.

It is done with an edge follower adapter on the router, using a normal template-follower and a round-nose bit. I made a smaller version of the one that came with the router to be able to follow the close curves of the waists. Note that for this use the ball-bearing on the router bit is not used. This device:

DSC01422.jpg

I do it in two steps. Firstly I route the lip, then the recurve.

Only after these two things are done, I cut the angle(s) to the top. And then, of course, the carving itself.

I hope this is more or less clear, let me know if not.

Cheers.

A…A...Paula…

I want to make it with you…

A...A...Paula…

I love your sexy carve too…

I ain’t seen nothing like you

I don’t think I can explain…

It’s more than just shape of your top…

It’s more than simply your grain…

A…A…Paula…

So, who’s the lucky chap

A…A…Paula

I wish I could sit you into my lap

I long to play your highest frets

Your heel looks comfortable, true…

I wish that I could call you mine…

And carve my name in your headstock too…

• 3 weeks later...

Update time.

The top has been stained. Like on the previous one we went for a double staining. This is the first staining, and after sanding it off:

th_IMG_0403.jpgth_IMG_0405.jpg

And the final staining with a hint of a sunburst:

IMG_0409.jpg

I also inlaid the logo on the headstock:

th_IMG_0410.jpg

It's actually meant to be the initials of my son's name: MA

IMG_0411.jpg

Next (messy) steps are the pore filling and sanding, and the application of the sanding sealer before gluing the neck to the body.

How do you like it so far ?

I think is coming along very well.