Ormsby Guitars - Multiscale Custom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a practical reason to scallop all the way across when your fingers arent strong enough to fret a string hard enough on the bass side to warrant having scallops?

How thin are your fingers that they can reach in between the frets from 19th onwards, and hit the fretboard?

Grain match on the headstock. Pretty obvious to see how i cut it out.

IMG_3817.jpg

Here is the YouTube video

Is there a practical reason to scallop all the way across when your fingers arent strong enough to fret a string hard enough on the bass side to warrant having scallops?

How thin are your fingers that they can reach in between the frets from 19th onwards, and hit the fretboard?

i wasnt having a go i was just wondering

And neither was I. People are quick to 'accept' certain ways of doing things, without question. Look at Steve Vai's Ibanez model, the Jem's. Why are they only scallopped on the last three or four frets? The ONLY place on the entire fretboard that scallops ARE USELESS!! Why cut away timber (sustain, tone, stability) when its not needed?

I interviewed a bunch of guitarists, and this is why i did it like this. I dont do anything without thinking it through first, and you guys should do the same. Just because someone else (me included?) has done something some way for years, doesnt mean its the best way.

Watch everyone else copy it now (its already started... hasnt even been a month yet).

IMG_3861.jpg

Watch everyone else copy it now (its already started... hasnt even been a month yet).

That makes you an innovator. Take pride in that. When you see a bunch of partially scalloped necks like you've done here, you can say "I made that happen."

Seriously - we're all really standing on the shoulders of giants. In a greater sense, we're all copying from someone else. Now, someone will stand on your shoulders. That's really saying something.

Stand tall, Perry, stand tall.

im intrigued - why the scalloping on just that area? is there a practical reason for it? or any advantage to it? im just wondering

Spoken like a rhythm guitar player :D <jk>

Perry, how do you like those ABM bridges? I don't suppose you have a width measurement on them...???

That makes you an innovator. Take pride in that. When you see a bunch of partially scalloped necks like you've done here, you can say "I made that happen."

Seriously - we're all really standing on the shoulders of giants. In a greater sense, we're all copying from someone else. Now, someone will stand on your shoulders. That's really saying something.

Stand tall, Perry, stand tall.

Thats one way of looking at it. Another is that these clowns are stealing my ideas, from threads just like this, and running to other forums and posting about how great this new idea they have is. Of course, they avoid posting in my threads, like its the black plague, or giving credit where its due. Furthermore, IF they ask me a question about a process i do, a supplier, a technique, etc, and i choose not to answer, all hell breaks loose and they cry about not helping others. :D

Dont worry, Ive already got something coming up for those clowns that will sort them out :D Funny thing is, i reckon im the most helpful guy out there (in the real world, not online), but, not if im disrespected. Some of these guys think they can tie you up on the phone for an hour or two to pick your brains, then sell your idea to their own "clients". Nice!

IMG_3862.jpg

im intrigued - why the scalloping on just that area? is there a practical reason for it? or any advantage to it? im just wondering

Spoken like a rhythm guitar player :D <jk>

Perry, how do you like those ABM bridges? I don't suppose you have a width measurement on them...???

From memory, the string spacing at the bridge would go as narrow as 49mm. This guitar was 54 or 55mm

IMG_3869.jpg

...these clowns are stealing my ideas, from threads just like this, and running to other forums and posting about how great this new idea they have is... avoiding... giving credit where its due.

Some of these guys think they can... sell your idea to their own "clients". Nice!

I certainly can't argue with that. I totally get it from both a business and principle perspective. In that light, you certainly have every right to be torked about it.

Is there anything you can do to copyright the process or protect your intellectual property?

...these clowns are stealing my ideas, from threads just like this, and running to other forums and posting about how great this new idea they have is... avoiding... giving credit where its due.

Some of these guys think they can... sell your idea to their own "clients". Nice!

I certainly can't argue with that. I totally get it from both a business and principle perspective. In that light, you certainly have every right to be torked about it.

Is there anything you can do to copyright the process or protect your intellectual property?

Copyright and trademarks are either in force, or pending. Id rather not say any more on the subject. :D

IMG_3871.jpg

I went through and watched all the videos of this build not too long ago.

Some seriously tight work, resulting in a beautiful instrument! Love it.

Thank you sir.

Bit hard to see, but this top is carved

IMG_3872.jpg

And neither was I. People are quick to 'accept' certain ways of doing things, without question. Look at Steve Vai's Ibanez model, the Jem's. Why are they only scallopped on the last three or four frets? The ONLY place on the entire fretboard that scallops ARE USELESS!! Why cut away timber (sustain, tone, stability) when its not needed?

I interviewed a bunch of guitarists, and this is why i did it like this. I dont do anything without thinking it through first, and you guys should do the same. Just because someone else (me included?) has done something some way for years, doesnt mean its the best way.

thats why i was questioning hehe. i've never played a scalloped guitar before and dont really understand it hence the questions. and now i know!

i watched all the vids when someone prematurely posted a thread about it. was a good watch. this isnt really my cup of tea style wise but theres still bits i really like, and of course i can appreciate the quality of it. which is good. i'd say keep up the good work, but then why would you suddenly start doing crap hehe

There have been guitars that haven't been scalloped treble to bass side, but not a one of them has done it as beautifully as here.

Actually, the main example I'm thinking of isn't even a guitar, but is rather a bass-- the old Yamaha Billy Sheehan model.

I suppose that I have to say - dampen down guys - yes, great instrument but hell - can we be a bit more objective here? It's awesome - no doubt. Get off your knees guys! Perry - no disrespect, but you make guitars along solid designs. This is proof of such. Watch the videos on YT and get a grasp of how easy it really is, learners.

Oh hell. This is a rant, no disrespect to you Perry. It something special you cam jump on your workmate and rasp/ss out your neck, so good on you fella.

<edit: i drank helloads of "perry" tongitht so sorry baut paoeeling>

Edited by Prostheta

is good that prostheta is drunk.... so am i!!!! friday night and all that

i really like perrys work... the overall product may not always (but somtimes does) come over as groundbreakingly unique but i am always impressed by the craftsmanship. I really like the scallops on this build but i am still not 100% sure on the reason for them.... i do regularly play a multiscale as one of the guitas i am keeping for myself... and for me personally that scalloping would work well - but i dont think it would suit everyone... at the end of the day - it really doesnt have to!!!!

i have been designing my next multiscale for a while and had problems with the end of the fretboard... i cant deny that seeing perrys work completed has confirmed that an idea i had would work well

This is my rough design

th_scaledesign2.jpg

i like it but its clear the end of the fretboard needs work - perrys solution would work well for me