How many people here build guitars...

Lex Luthier

How many people here build guitars...  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I pieced together a Tele from parts. I'm finishing up piecing together a PRS-ish style from parts. I just got a nice alder blank that I'll be scratch building a custom designed body with a Warmoth neck that I already had. Once I'm done with that one I intend to try a few necks, maybe replacing the neck on the Tele with a scratch built as a first try.

Haven't done the "from scratch" yet but that is my goal eventually. Currently I build my custom "hot rods"--mostly Fenderesques...I have a Strat, Tele, and Jazz Bass. I had a Charvel Star but sold it.

Strat: Stew mac 3 sunburst trem body, All parts 70's maple/rosewood neck, white Duncan Classic stacks, sperzel locking tuners, gold hardware, black pickguard, white knobs. Looks like SRV with a 70's headstock. Has on off for bridge to get a neck/bridge tele sound.

Jazz: All parts(?) Alder body tung oiled, Mighty Mite maple/maple neck, EMG J/J set with Vol/pan/tone on jazz control plate, chrome hardware.

Tele (IN PROGRESS): Stew mac 3 sunburst body, Mighty Mite birdseye maple neck, chrome hardware, diamond plate pickguard, Duncan JB, chrome flame humbucker bridge. Still need to get Sperzels and Tele neck (Duncan probably) pickup. Maybe later GraphTech piezo saddle pickup system.

I bought fretboards at first, everything else scratch. Now I do some of each on the fretboards (made and bought). And the pickup building will come along one of these days.

I doubt I'll ever make my own PUP's. I've made fretboards, but it would just be so much easier to get them cut. LMI slots their boards, in a number of scales, for about $7 each, and $5 on orders of 5 or more, or something like that. I think I may start getting my fretboards, slotted, from them. I've been slotting them by hand, and it's just so much work, ESPECIALLY Ebony. Any "custom" boards, like some cool looking piece of Ebony or Pau Ferro I find myself, I'll still slot.

well, i voted from scratch even though the only guitar i've built so far was a bass using a neck i already had lying around. but in my defense that was the first one, and i didn't want to go to all the trouble of building a neck if the thing didn't work. my next one and all subsequent ones are going to have neck-through bodies made entirely by myself.

IMO and experience necks are a PITA. I have made one but it didn't seem worth the time it took to make it. I have started considering my time involved and like to make money off of that besides the materials plus mark up. I can't see selling any more guitars/basses with $400 in materials for $500 when it takes 20 hours or so to make them. For five bucks an hour I can flip burgers which takes a lot less skill than building a guitar.

I do ask the customer if they care if the neck is purchased (or parts to make neck) and none have seemed to mind so far. Saves me a ton of time too.

• 2 weeks later...