Ugly Spalted Sg

while i wait for my 5 string to cure, i started to slap this ugly ba$turd together;

IMG_0576.jpg

thats what its gonna look like together;

and this is what the assembly looks like

IMG_0578.jpg

alot to do before any more gluing happens, but i liked how this one is turning out;

its for the g-spot tornado, and im nervous about the spalt body, so i am driving home the 'no guarentees' clause

and will be using alot of epoxy for everything; neck set ;pickgaurd; sealer; and the few punky spots have gotten a stinky slobbering of water thin ca glue;

its a learning experience dealing with solid body of spalt (the back where the join is going to be is mostly clear w/ a bit of staining, so it shouldnt have any problems there) im mostly concerned about the hollowed cavity caving in; and how much glue and epoxy will get sucked in, but i really cant wait to not have to look at it anymore.

haha;

ya it aint 'pretty'

it 'll look good when its done; not if you dont like supa spalt;

it is scraps technically , i had this huge block of maple, that buddy was insisting on;

so after a while of telling him its not big enough , i jokingly grabbed some maple and paduak scraps; and said there ,now its big enough; then he suprised the hell out o me by saying thats exactly what he wants; one mans trash is anothers treasure; so i had to be nice and give him a complimentary B&W board;

and what do you mean "why so big pickguard"? its an SG, thats the pete townsend style; the only one ive ever liked!

its made from curly myrtle;

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

a couple of racing stripes brrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I actually like the spalt and all that, I know, I have horrible taste lol

+1 I don't think this is a horrendous guitar. I'm not sure I really like the maple/padauk on the edges, but the spalt actually looks pretty cool. It's good to see something a little out of the ordinary once in a while. Also, I think that fingerboard is awesome (although I would prefer some contrast with the body). Keep up the work, and don't be afraid to show us it when it's finished. :D

thanx;

i agree with the padauk comment; i wish we would have thought it out a lil more

but when life gives you s#!t ,you make s#!+ salad.

and i thought that board would be the only one (besides an acrylised spalted board) that would seem to fit

the grand scheme of things;

well thanx for the kind words

IMG_0577.jpg

+1 for conviction.

I think a nice dark grain filler and a little darkening on the paduck and the color would flow with the spalt.

not sure about the flame myrtle pickgaurd. I would just do black.... but still it is gonna be one of a kind. Nice racing stripe - adds class to the whole thing.

props \m/

its butt ugly man

i dont think you can do anything to pretty that up

the flame maple guard adds to its "unappeal" so keep it

may as well go all out and go for the ugliest build on the forum

its in the class of that tele on tdpri made out of composite flooring

ugliest guitar evvverrrr.

thank you;

darkening up the grain on the padauk is a good idea, for a suttle deadening of the colour; but as far as sunbursts go;

im not gonna make that desicion for someone else, if its something he wants to go for; he'll have to pay for it, and someone else will have to do it; when we were recently talking about it, he was really excited about how it looked like something we pulled from the trash; he asked me if i could break off the lower horn , but i wasnt into that;

i told him he could do it when we were done; and i could spray some laquer on the exposed wood for sealing;

i hope he changes his mind; but i couldnt really care after im paid (and he dosent do someting that he asks me to fix later!)

made the join today; heel is set w/ 'pickguard' cover to enclose the tenon;

smoothed out the router work on the body before attaching and had most of the neck roughed out; i plan on carving the neck profile in as far as the fb; and then begin the transition; hence the long tenon;

the spalt is staying together rather well for all the tools ive been throwing at it, and so far no chunks being glued back into place; (knock on wood**) the 'pickguard' is a little sloppy around some of the edges i had to gouge out by hand, theyre noticable around the bright white maple, not at all on anything spalty, but i got some tricks to take care of that to the point of satisfaction.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

i like the suggestions about the bursts and others, but the words came down from the top to leave everything natural and glossy, so thats where its goin.

grant

I've been following this build for a couple weeks I guess, and I just wanted to give some thoughts-

Occasionally you see a build that's a really original idea, but it just looks awful.

Sometimes others will underestimate how good their work is and put it down unjustifiedly.

Neither is the case here--

You admitted up front that this is ugly... cause it is.... but that just gives it more mojo.

This guitar is like a tough guy who turned out tough because he's actually named Sue.

I look forward to seeing how this comes out! I love this guitar.

Edited by IWishICouldShred

oh and the guts have been decided (if you were just thinking theyre isnt alot of holes in the front)

3way toggle neck/full/bridge

master tone

input

so basically the idea is, full on volume (controlled by amp) with only pup selection and tone tweaking;

when i was first asked about this ,i thuoght it was stupid to not put a volume, even one master one; but the more we discussed it, the more on board i am ,and the more im tinking of having this as ar egular featured setup;

really what do you need the volume for; but a on-off/killswitchwould be handy; not happening here though.

oh and the guts have been decided (if you were just thinking theyre isnt alot of holes in the front)

3way toggle neck/full/bridge

master tone

input

so basically the idea is, full on volume (controlled by amp) with only pup selection and tone tweaking;

when i was first asked about this ,i thuoght it was stupid to not put a volume, even one master one; but the more we discussed it, the more on board i am ,and the more im tinking of having this as ar egular featured setup;

really what do you need the volume for; but a on-off/killswitchwould be handy; not happening here though.

I had an old Global SG knockoff and rather than a 3 way switch, it had 2 on/off switches for the pickups. I don't mean flip-able switches... they were sliding switches.

It's incredibly cheesy but it was a really cool feature, and it might fit this guitar well. 2 on/off switches and a tone knob.