Neck through V

Sean

I am contemplating building a neck through V (in the Jackson King V style). I will use a Carvin neck through, but my question regards the body wings. I think I read (the guitar building bible is on the way, just not here yet) on here that you cut the body halves then glue them to the neck through. My question is how would you clamp the wing while the glue dries?

Would I just do it as I would with a standard body?

My question is how would you clamp the wing while the glue dries?

I'd recommend a pair (or even three) of Jorgenson-style bar clamps. Leave your wing pieces squared so they will be parallel to the neck blank for clamping. It's easier to jigsaw or route the extra off after everythings dried properly and evenly.

I would take some extra time to make sure the body halves are the -exact- same thickness as the neck blank, and I would clamp both halves onto the neck blank at the same time, and clamp them on a -very flat- tabletop.

Once you clamp them on, use a wet towel to wipe off the glue squeezout, check that all surfaces are very even and level, as if they're not, you're in for a LOT of sanding to level everything out, it's just much easier if you take the extra time to make sure it's all level to begin with. I mean Dead-level, not even as much as 1/16" rise from one piece to the next one. Keep a hammer with you, if one is a bit higher, lay a small piece of scrap wood on top of the high one a rap it down with the hammer until it's level with the one next to it. You might have to slightly loosen up one or more clamps to re-level everything...

Once you've clamped everything together, take a long level piece of wood and lay it across all pieces at once, checking that everything is level and flat. If you tighten up the clamps too much, sometimes they will 'pull up' the outer edges of the wings, laying a piece of wood across everything will be your check against that happening.

here is what i did on my neck thru v with a carvin neck :D

i cut and completely finish sanded my wings first,then glued them on.i usedone bar clamp right in the middle of the body.i took 2 bottle caps(the big ones)and taped them with masking tape onto the wings where i wanted to clamp.then i put the clamps on the bottle caps.it worked well because the joint was very flat so i had no need for much clamping pressure

Hey,

I'm having the same type of dilema. I'm making a Rhoads V, not a neck through though. I have the two body halves cut out and was thinking of something like this as far as a clamping surface.

Lay out a 2X4 or whatever at a right angle to the center line and mark two lines on the 2X4 where the body ends giving a board that would look something like this:

---------------------------

| / \ |

| / \ |

---------------------------

Then I would just cut along the lines and use the 2 outer pieces for clamping. Either that or if the two oustide edges of the body were close to the same angle from center (which I they should be), you could just make one mark and then flip the other piece over and the angles shoule work out to give you something like this:

||

||

/ \

__/ \__

|_/ \_|

/ \

I know the drawings are kinda really shitty but you get the idea.