Another Reso Build

Well after the last one failed :D

Here's the new reso I'm working on. I roundneck with biscuit type cone. I'm using a bolt on, cantilever neck as well. Top wood is striped african mahogany. The back and sides are quilted birds eye maple with curly maple/black walnut bindings. The neck is a 5 piece lam of curly maple and black walnut, with malagasy rosewood fretboard. I have gotten the first clear coats on the body in the past few days.

So far this build has gone very well. ( let's hope that keeps up ) :D

resnk3.jpg

reso2bA.jpg

link

link

link

Thanks for looking!!!

Mike

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The pictures do not do the Birdseye justice this wood is stunning in real life:)

Chris,

The body is based off of a 000. The upper bout is about 1inch less as is the waist. The lower bout is approx 1- 1/2 inches less. the overall length is also 1-1/4 inch less. The body depth has been reduced to 3 1/2 inches.

Now the neck, It is basically a straight forward bolt on without a tenon. Very common on Resos. Only change was the addition of the cantilever extension. The pics I post will hopefully explain it. :D

My next neck will most likely incorporate the Doolin adjustable tenon as well.

neck9.jpg

neck10.jpg

Mike

i so need to do a wood bodies reso at some point... its high on my wish list and you are not helping :D

LOL,

Well Wez, what's keeping ya from doin it? :D

Just wait until the next evolutions of my resos?

Picture this. An archtop, with cantilever neck, TOM bridge, and the reso cone mounts from the rear. Add a fishman reso pickup and a neck pickup humbucker or single coil, with active electronics. Sounds kinda weird? But that's where I'm heading with this. B)

Mike

Mike,

That guitar is looking amazing. I am really impressed with it. I'm glad it is all working out this time around.

Thanks Weston,

As far as all going well :D In my haste I miss measured the tuner holes :D What was I thinking??? So I have since drilled and plugged the holes, added veneers. Then after looking at it ,(the headstock) just doesn't quite fit with the theme. So, now I'm redoing it again. B) Have added wings for more width and will be redoing the veneers again B)

I'm trying to remember to get pics of the process for those that want to see how I did it.

Mike

Sweet ... loving it ;)

Thanks Quarter!! Hopefully it will be done soon.

MK

Edited by MiKro

• 1 month later...
that covers going to look stunning

Thanks Wez,

It's only the 4th one i've made :D The others just didn't quite capture it. Now If I don't screw it up with the cutouts. Still working on the detail of that.

:D

Soon it will be done.

MK

BTW are there any Cites problems US to UK shipping that you are aware of?

mahoganys and stuff like braz RW in lumber form shouldnt be shipped. also stuff like toistoishell, i have some red bear plectrums being shipped to me at the moment that i am concerned will get stopped - they are not even real turtle but i doubt the customs guys will know the difference :D

i have not really ever had anything stopped

• 2 weeks later...