Lp Done The Hard Way(with Mittens On)

COUCH038.jpg

Been a while since I have posted anything but have had a rough go lately

This is an LP that I built while I was going through chemotherapy.People react differently to the drugs they give you and unfortunately it really affected my hands.My fingers were very sensitive and had to work with cotton gloves on when I built this guitar.

Any way enough of the excuses

The back is beautiful 20 year old mahogany given to me by a good friend and the top is curly maple donated to me by the same good friend.

The picture I have shown is from about 4 months ago and the guitar has progressed nicely.

The frets are now set and have strung it up and plays very well.This was the first neck that I have made.

Specs are as follows

Grover tuners

Late 70's Dimarzios(haven't heard them yet)

Gotoh bridge and tailpiece

Gibson jumbo frets

Real mother of pearl fret markers

Standard LP switching

All gold hardware

This guitar was a number of firsts for me.First neck;first archtop;first fret inlay;and first bound.

The colour is a trans Gold that shows the figuring very nicely and the back and neck were left natural and all done in nitro.

I am at 6 coats so far and is looking quite nice.

Will post pics soon of it's current condition

No longer have to wear gloves and life is good

Rich

looks great, whats the plan for the colour... i almost think it should be like a custom (black or white) because of the purfling but obviously you dont want to cover that wood with a solid finish. the carve looks really good!!

lespaul001.jpgThis is a picture of the way it sits now

Also showing off my new guitar rotisserie that I use for spraying this peticular guitar.With this I can spray flat and can lay on a nice wet coat with no runs.

lespaul016.jpg

Thanks for all the replies

This is a better picture of the top

Needless to say that this is going to be a back breaker.I thought about chambering this but decided to suffer the weight.I hope it is worth it.

6 more coats and it's done

The threaded rod at the body was ground down to the same as the pilot hole for strap button and the one is ground down to fit inside the truss rod nut.The thing going into the imput jack holds it from spinning.

It holds the guitar very solidly and this is an extremely heavy guitar

I love the gold top...just beautiful...if fact, it look so precious I'd be keeping the mittens on just to touch the thing :D the rotisserie is such a good idea, I'm very impressed!

Seriously though, glad your better and the hand sensitivity clears so that you can play the thing!

pete