First Body From Scratch

andyt

yeh, sorry about the mahogany, but if god wanted natural finish guitars he wouldn't have invented the 80's.

After the tru oil sealing applied vareigated gold leaf - not real gold but I think its copper or brass thats heated to give the colouration. Then a couple of coates of clear or it oxidizes, then a swirl in black & clear - standard platicote enamel 'little pots' - the only thing I've ever tried. No borax just pour into a storage box full of water & dip, then some more clear, just auto spray cans from halfords (UK)

This is a description of what he used I believe from the earlier in the thread. As with everyone else, this guitar just blew me away, the finish is just unreal and I think the shape is actually an important factor, the smooth flowing shape makes that finish look way better than it would have with sharp edges I think. Just unbelievable. When I saw this thread I couldn't believe that I hadn't really seen guitars much like it. The idea of a clear and black swirl blew me away and gave me loads of ideas. Ideas I'll probably never do because I don't like paint much, but if I ever do some paint, this will be the influence. Truly an amazing finish! Can't wait to see what else you'll create in the future. Glad to have you as apart of this forum. J

Once again thanks for your comments guys. I do admit to feeling a bit guilty about the mahogany once I saw it with a couple of coats of oil on it. I thought for a couple of minutes, shall I leave it as is, but then the only reason it was mahogany in the first place was the dirt cheap blank I found on the bay, so next paint job I'll look for some cheap basswood

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished, neck came in from US ebay, original 1988 r540s wizard. Need to reshape the heal from strat style to aanj. Wired up, sounds good, maybe a pound heavier than my donnie copy JS.

1.jpg

2.jpg

and for some mahogany justice, bought a ibanez s320 last week, so stripped the paint off that & oiling it up

...but then the only reason it was mahogany in the first place was the dirt cheap blank I found on the bay, so next paint job I'll look for some cheap basswood

Please don't do that. Use good tonewood always. With a great finish like that you should use great wood. Otherwise what's the point?

Really nice job! I love the mutli-level finish. I've got some gold and copper leaf I am experimenting with currently. I can't wait to get started now that I've seen this. Thanks for the inspiration!

~David

yeh, sorry about the mahogany, but if god wanted natural finish guitars he wouldn't have invented the 80's.

:D I love the finish! But it may be because I leave the house every morning in 2 kilos of shiny black leather :D

Wish my first ended up this good. Top job!

QUOTE (andyt @ Sep 29 2008, 09:12 AM)

...but then the only reason it was mahogany in the first place was the dirt cheap blank I found on the bay, so next paint job I'll look for some cheap basswood

Please don't do that. Use good tonewood always. With a great finish like that you should use great wood. Otherwise what's the point?

Really nice job! I love the mutli-level finish. I've got some gold and copper leaf I am experimenting with currently. I can't wait to get started now that I've seen this. Thanks for the inspiration!

~David

David thanks, I checked your website....wow... I can't wait to see what you can do with some gold leaf. About the basswood, I meant the plain look rather than the tone, I've got several basswood guitars.

'plain mahogany is like the beige of tonewood IMO other than some ribbon and quilted sapele, theres so much better out there'

'Wood brown guitars...uggh'

And as I've never had a guitar that wasn't painted, I'm quite into the brown guitar I just stripped

close2.jpg

frontbottom.jpg

still you can bet the next will be painted. :D

now if someone can tell me how the quotes work

• 4 weeks later...

After the tru oil sealing applied vareigated gold leaf - not real gold but I think its copper or brass thats heated to give the colouration. Then a couple of coates of clear or it oxidizes, then a swirl in black & clear - standard platicote enamel 'little pots' - the only thing I've ever tried. No borax just pour into a storage box full of water & dip, then some more clear, just auto spray cans from halfords (UK)

Simply stunning work and finish! Absolutely love it! Can't believe I hadn't been following the build before - I came across it in GOTM.

When you say you "swirl in black and clear", is there anything other than black paint on the water? I mean, is the "clear" simply the gaps between the black patterns, or is there a clear substance used as well?

Thanks,

DJ

thanks DJ

I wanted to leave room in the swirl to show the patterns on the gold leaf so used black & clear plasticote enamel (little pots from B&Q) You can get gaps using just black on water, but it can thin in places leaving grey patches, so adding the clear paint keeps the black 'concentrated'

Andy

• 4 months later...