First Body From Scratch

andyt

Was looking through ebay the last week & found a mahogany blank for 17 quid, so I though it was about time to try a body from scratch, as all my previous builds had been cut & shut jobs.

th_blank.jpg

Made some templates from another body, but had a bit of an accident when the router depth guide slipped on the neck pocket so had to glue a shim in. Freehanded the body outline, then sanded & finished the depth with a follow bit

th_halfcut.jpg

Bought a sanding disk for the angle grinder, that saves so much time.

th_sandedback.jpg

Getting there

th_sandedfront.jpg

Tried some tru oil a a sealer, not grain filled as I want that to show on the next bit

th_sealer1.jpg

th_sealer2.jpg

Woah woah woah woah.... hold up a sec. You didn't just paint over that mahogany. "I keel you!"

Jeff Dunham fans? Yes? No? Moving on.

Let's get a full frontal (and back-al and side-al) for this paint job! It looks like an amazing swirl, great color choice! It looks like a big hunk of rock. Methods/tips/tuts?

yeh, sorry about the mahogany, but if god wanted natural finish guitars he wouldn't have invented the 80's.

After the tru oil sealing applied vareigated gold leaf - not real gold but I think its copper or brass thats heated to give the colouration. Then a couple of coates of clear or it oxidizes, then a swirl in black & clear - standard platicote enamel 'little pots' - the only thing I've ever tried. No borax just pour into a storage box full of water & dip, then some more clear, just auto spray cans from halfords (UK)

Woah woah woah woah.... hold up a sec. You didn't just paint over that mahogany. "I keel you!"

Jeff Dunham fans? Yes? No? Moving on.

huge fan of jeff dunham here!

"sa na ta ana hey, sa na ta ana hey" :D

"...Is it a nice facility?"

"It used to be"

"What happened?"

"New guuy! The idiot tried to practice!"

Awesome finish! Get more pics A.S.A.P!

• 2 weeks later...

im going to have to be honest with you

its terrible, and you should throw it away

but before you do, tell me where you live and where your going to throw it away :D

i LOVE the swirl, if you could elaborate on how you did it, and with what materials, i would love to know

thats psycodelic

:D

Kenny