Long Term Project

This is a project that I first started design work on in early 2002 and is now finally getting towards the final finishing stages. Most of my work doesn't take quite this long, honest!, but this one was always intended to be a bit special. The guitar has a mahogany body, it has a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard, custom one off pickups by Aaron Armstrong, fixed bridge with Steinberger tuners and hopefully will sound something as good as I'm hoping it'll look.

Leverty%20Guardian.2.jpg

See what you you guys think - all feedback greatfully received.

Jim

Tha paintjob on that thing is amazing! You do it yourself?

Yes, I'm afraid I am responsible for the paintwork. Taken altogether too long to get to this stage, but nearly finished now, just the back to finish off and the neck and (keep wanting to say 'she'll' be done.......but 'she' doesn't seem to fit with this guitar!), he'll be done!

Jim

Thank you for all the comments on the guitar, they are greatly appreciated. :D

Just finished off the back this evening so it's now almost ready for the first finish lacquer coat tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing this one finally all put together!

Leverty%20Guardian.3.jpg

Jim :D

i actually prefer the back... but its clearly amazing work on both sides.

truly awesome and if the back was on the front you would be able to claim to be the guy with the 'shark guitar'... which i believe perry currently holds :D

Wow, seriously amazing artwork, I can't believe how nice it looks. This blue background is such a great color, it really sets off everything else in the picture, very cool. One thing I thought would have been cool would have been to have the gun tilted downward a bit more, then you could have done like a bullet hole inlay at the 12th fret or something, that would have been pretty neat and tied it all in, though with your imagination and ability, I'm sure you have a millions time better ideas. Excellent work, seriously, just amazing artwork. Man, I couldn't even draw a decent stick figure if I spent hours trying, stuff like this blows me away. The back is super sick, the ghost ship just barely visible is just incredible. Wow. J

Wow, that is really fantastic work! :D The front of the guitar is kind of graphic, but it is very detailed and expertly done. I personally prefer the back, but the whole guitar is awesome! I checked out your website and the other work is all great too. I especially liked the progress pictures to see how painted this step by step. Again, great work!

Really appreciate all the comments guys, it's the opinions of likeminded and knowledgeable people like yourselves that are the most telling. So thank you.

It's funny, but Wesv and Inisheer have said exactly the same about prefering the back to the front as a couple of people here, wifey included! Irony is that the back was only an afterthought, I was literally just experimenting on the back to see if Icould get the background effect for the front looking right, the shark and the wreck just grew from there - so it wasn't really intended at all.

I'll be lacquering the body today, then it'll be just the neck to finish off and I can pass the beastie onto Dick, the brains behind the build to get the whole thing together. Have to admit it's getting quite exciting at this stage though - never thought I'd ever get this one done!

Wow is all i can say! Just had a look on your website and went through the process of the reeper guitar and the detail is just amazing! Well done foggy! i love this pirate guitar by the way.

Thats the same one I checked out when I was going through the site. I just looked how well documented the process was. Usually, when projects are broken down well for me I find them to be much easier than I would have imagined, however in this case it was the exact opposite. The Reaper/Ouija board one had great detail and it blew me away how many steps and layers have to be done in order to get that look, just incredible, then I just took another look at this guitar and it blew me away even more, I'd imagine it took much longer and many more steps to get this one done right, so much details in every part and so well colored. Simply amazing! I cannot wait to see the next project, I don't care if it takes a year its well worth the wait to see such a great finished project. Again, well done! Keep us posted on all works you finish. Jason

You should get in contact with Craig Lavin, member Clavin here and do a project with him. Oh man I couldn't even imagine how killer the completed work would be with you guys doing the guitar and finish and Craig doing some crazy inlay scene on the neck. Especially the underwater scenes, both of you seem to do so well. Anyhow, it would definitely be a wild idea.

Edited by jmrentis

http://www.jimfogarty.co.uk/Higgs%20opening%20p450.jpg

This has to be probably the nerdiest guitar I've ever seen!

Your painting skills are awesome.

Did you check out the pencil sections?! Wow. All the sections are great to look at, I can't imagine having that kind of talent. The pencil stuff really blew me away, though I think the painting stuff was even more impressive especially after seeing what goes into it, plus in painting not only is the details difficult, but you have to get the colors right, which is a whole other skill set. I though the paint board setup was kinda cool, definitely much easier to work using that than learning over and trying to angle the gun and getting a sore neck. Cool stuff, the whole site is great. J

• 2 months later...

Well, we finally have the guitar together for a first fit and all wired up, it sounds awesome too even at this stage. Still a couple of mods to be done before the guitar is perfectly setup but couldn't resist taking some piccies, so thought I'd let you have a peek.

Eric.4.900.jpg