Chris/myka Dragonfly

So for the past week (and this coming week) I've been hanging out in David Myka's guitar shop here on the west coast. I made the journey over from SC... it's been a trip several years in the making now! Either way, I've spent the time hanging out, drink... oh and a little guitar building got in there too; a Dragonfly to be exact.

So specs:

Carved and braced spruce top veneered with quilted maple to be dyed blue.

Black Limba body (1-piece) and neck.

Snakewood binding (with b/w/b top and side purfs), headplate, tail-piece veneer, bridge, and FRETBOARD (bound in ebony though)!!!

Pics speak more than words though. Here's what was done as of this morning... I've since also done the neck taper and bound the fretboard.

DSCN1323.jpg

That discoloration on the top is just from a little water, that's not the maple.

Here's a closer... yet blurrier photo of the binding scheme:

Binding

And for those wondering about the veneeredness and the bracing:

Veneering Bracing

Needs the bracing because of this:

Hollowed Body

I'd like to thank David as well, he's one heck of a guy!

Chris

Edited by verhoevenc

Hatting....ho ho ho ho....

Interesting plan of action - veneering figured maple on top of a soft face. I like it very much! Is the instrument on the table for one of David's clients, or is it one for yourself Rich? I presume that it is in fact for yourself (part of the trip?). The scarf flip makes the alternating dark/light edges look kind of crazy....other than the headplate, is the scarf join going to be hidden beneath a backstrap?

How does snakewood bend? I don't know if I've ever heard much on this and was curious, especially with you binding the body and doing a backplate which I'd assume will bend over a volute. I've checked out logs of the stuff and small stock, but never used it, though I wish to at some point. Very attractive wood. You should turn some snakewood knobs with any left over scrap!LOL. Very nice work Chris, seriously looks amazing. Of course, although it doesn't even need to be said, as with the others I'm fully jealous of where you are working and with whom. Keep those pics coming. J

The snakewood bends fine... although my binding is only a mere .065" so it's not that thick. On acoustics I like .075" but the 65 just worked here IMO. At that thin anything bends well. However, I had a scrap of snakewood to test with first and bent the cutaway just fine on that. In all honesty, I had a tougher time keeping the side purflings attached to the binding while bending than the bend itself! Also, the backstrap won't be snakewood it'll be ebony... which right now seems like a strange choice... but when you see the finished headstock you'll understand.

And now for viewing pleasure:

DSCN1329.jpg

Chris