Ormsby Guitars - Derek's Customshop Ss

I like the middle section to stay flat, but i do give it a decent round over between the carved and flat sections....

like this:

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

For fun, i calculated the neck joint surface area, and compared it to the stew mac '59 les paul plans. This one has 70% more surface area, and without a stupid recessed tenon, and end grain to end grain joints, is much easier to do.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So perry do you ever use kahler Trems? I really think these supper strats would look great with that trem

Actually, I think the Kahlers are ugly. I do like the feel that they have though.

Part one, staining...

IMG_3471.jpg

After staining, i scrape back the binding so its nice and white again.

part two, candy...

IMG_3482.jpg

Study the photos. Im not going to explain them, but you can learn a lot about colouring a top to achieve nicer finishes by studying everything about the two photos. Do the work and you'll learn something :D

you can mask, but scraping looks cleaner in the end. I use a blade of some sort, mostly an exacto knife, but a chisel if its there and handy.

Candy can be stain/dye + lacquer, or actual candy paints. It just needs to be suspended over lacquer, and not touching the wood itself. There is a clear coat over the light blue, although I didnt get a photo. If you know what Im talking about with my method, and you use it on your own builds, credit me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Perry,

I have no idea what your method is, but I have been planning to order some pearl from this site: http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm

They describe a multi layer method in their tips sections which seem interesting, and if I'm feeling very brave I may try it. No idea if it's similar to your technique.

My question, however, isn't about that, I'm just wondering what size pearl additive you'd use? They list 4 sizes: http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm I was leaning to the actual pearl, as opposed to the satin or shimmer.

Thanks,

Todd

Hey Perry,

Great looking build....just for a change! Derek has obviously said, top of the range everything please, hence the Brazilian Mahogany body and neck etc....which is totally appropriate for a family/tribute build. As this (BM) is known as the holy grail of guitar timbers and from what I gather, you are one of the only people left in OZ that has any, how does it stack up against currently available alternatives? eg. Sapele, African Mahogany, Makore etc....I mention these as they are in plentiful supply over here on the east coast.

I have used OZ timbers such as Blackwood and QLD Maple almost exclusively and have little to no experience with such exotics. I am very interested in YOUR opinion in this regard.

I am now searching PG for info in this blue stain process.......do you reckon a QLD Maple top COULD be stained blue given the orangey/golden base colour of the timber?....or is this kind of finish best left for US Rock Maple such as the tops I bought from you last year?

Cheers :D

Brazilian is definately very easy to work with, but i prefer the tone of other timbers myself. I dislike QLD Maple, but that may be because Ive always had bad experiences with the merchants.

To get a nice light blue, you need nice light coloured timber. I'll probably post up a thread for the blue guitar soon, but otherwise just go to my website and view it in the diary. You'll see the maple is VERY white. The get a blue over a non white surface, you'll need to tint the clear.

Hey Perry,

I have no idea what your method is, but I have been planning to order some pearl from this site: http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm

They describe a multi layer method in their tips sections which seem interesting, and if I'm feeling very brave I may try it. No idea if it's similar to your technique.

My question, however, isn't about that, I'm just wondering what size pearl additive you'd use? They list 4 sizes: http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm I was leaning to the actual pearl, as opposed to the satin or shimmer.

Thanks,

Todd

Ive not used any pearl on this guitar. I used platinum pearl on Saxon's white Multiscale guitar, but other than that, i dont recall using pearl this year. Pearls """kinda""" like metallics. They are very small pieces suspended in clear (or colour like metallics).

Here is that guitar, in plain white.

IMG_3947.jpg

Here it is five minutes later, with a coat of platinum pearl over the top.

IMG_3948.jpg]

Then clear, etc etc

Pearls can be mixed, eg: blue pearl over white base looks like white, with blue metallic mixed in. You might prefer orange pearl over a red base, or blue pearl over a blue base.

Pearls can be suspended in the clear, which tends to have colour changing effects, or mixed with the base colour paint, for a different style of metallic look.

Here is a large pearl blue, mixed with straight blue. Looks like metallic, but instead of metal coloured 'dust', its actually blue coloured.

120-2075_IMG.jpg