Ormsby Guitars - Toby's Explorer

I didn't have a client for this one when I started, but pretty much as soon as it was finished Toby came through and purchased it.

Body: Tasmanian Blackwood

Neck: Tasmanian Blackwood

Fretboard: Ebony

Electronics: Ormsby Handwound Nunchucka Humbucker, and Old School pickups, splittable

Hardware: Gotoh

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

Im really geting in to these guitars!! I just got templates for the explorer style body and Im really looking forward to building them,

This and That 8 string you just posted are some of my favs man, Good stuff :D

Actually, some of these guitars are from early this year. I just decided they should be out there a bit more :D

I have started three and finished two guitars in the last 4 weeks, one will be done within a week or so, and started another yesterday which will be ready in less than a month. A bass was already started, but that should be done within a couple weeks. Ive got three flying v's that just need one more coat of lacquer. Its funny, i dont have my 'apprentice' any more, but im getting so much more work done. By the end of the year, I should meet my dream target which is 25 guitars, in fact, i might even exceed that by a couple. This year has definately been the busiest, and in the last two months some amazing opportunities have opened up.... not to mention Ive had my guitars in the hands of George Lynch, Opeth, Dragonforce and Meshugah... plus some opportunities have presented themselves to take my business to a much higher level... but, more on that later when Im allowed to discuss it :D

I went and read through the threads on MIMF where nearly everyone says they are struggling to survive even after 20 years in the business, just for a reality check. Id love to reply to some of those threads, but they banned me B)

I ended up finishing this one with chrome hardware, and then Toby asked me for black. This was Toby's second Ormsby, although he has two more now, and another three on order. Great loyal client B) I actually got him into the workshop last week to help me out with some stuff, so he could say he had a hand in building his own guitar.

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

I might have used a photo of it in reply to the "win an Ormsby dream guitar" entry, but I dont remember.

Here is Opeth, with two Ormsby's

opeth-ormsbya.jpg

I took some guitars down to show them a month or two ago. Unfortunately, both guitars were already sold, and I had to borrow them off the owner to at least have some work to 'demo'. In the end, a small bidding war started over the Explorer, with Toby refusing to sell. Perfect :D

They ended up starting to write a song whilst doing soundcheck. THAT was amazing. The speed at which the two guitarists could follow each others complex chord riffs when improvising new ideas was mind blowing.

This photo was the day after it was finished. Since then Toby had me replace the duncans with some of my handwound pickups, which werent ready at the time. HERE is the review.

IMG_4333.jpg

Michael A. playing an Ormsby. That's truly a good day.

How does the blackwood rate on the tonal scale? It's certainly beautiful. Are the pickups still tappable? push/pull pot, I assume.

Crappy camera mic, but you get the idea. Its very similar to Mahogany, without the mud.

Pickups are splittable, its no harder to make them with that feature.

Wow, I'm proud of ya man, great job, and glad to see your still building those killer guitars!! Just had to check in to see how everyone is doing.

WOW Matt is alive!!!

Sweet sounding guitar Perry, no wonder Opeth wanted to acquire it! Perfect for their sound and style!

hahaha.. Yeah I'm still alive, just been playing guitar is all, I've done work on guitars for people, like refretting a 1961 Telecaster, etc... but other than that, just playing in the band, and writing songs. How's life for ya bro? Good to hear from you again!!