Korina/maple 5 String Bass

Simo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got the 1st coat of lacquer on today...

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

Very nice build! The body shape is simple and nice.

Can you share the opinion about Korina (=Limba?)? Nether worked with it and i'm interested about it sound properties and ease of machining.

I tend to use the Idigbo variety as it's easier to get over here, Limba and Idigbo do differ ever so slightly but are both sold under the USA wood importer trade name of Korina. It's great to work with, sands very easily, routes well, it's quite light and the tone is great. The only real problem I have with it, is that it's prone to woodworm, so look out for worm holes when you pick a piece out, or if you're buying rough sawn then expect some wastage.

Looks like I've exceeded my bandwidth on my imagecave account, I'll upload the photo's somewhere else when I get chance.

I agree, that is a fantastic top under lacquer, though I would have LOVED to see even a hint of amber dye over it just to give it a tiny bit of pop. Just me, though, very creamy and very nice.

Is that a hole I see on the back, between two of the pocket screw holes? Maybe it's camera magic...

Nope, that's a small knot.

What grain filler ya use?

Chris

I don't use sealer or filler, I just apply the RPC straight on to the bare wood.

• 2 weeks later...
All done... apart from wiring that is! :D which should be done tomorrow if I get chance. I'll take some better pictures in the daylight tomorrow.

Yesyesyes, less time Christmasing, more time guitar building! I myself am constrained by glue-drying times, which may have worked out fortuitously for tomorrow by not allowing me to shun the family and lock myself down the basement.

But I digress. Bedtime it is for me, with lots of relatives tomorrow morning.

Merry/Happy Christmas, Simo, and everyone else! :D

The skateboard truck bolts, neck ferrules and brass inserts work a treat don't they Jon? :-D

That is some fantastic work there, and I can't wait to see what your next one off the table is going to be like.

RPC crew, represent!!!

Cheers mate :D The next couple of builds will probably be guitars, I've got 2 friends that have asked me to build something for them, I've also got ideas for another bass, so it should be a busy start to 2009. I think I'll give the RPC a miss next time though, the fumes have been a nightmare (the workshop still smells of the stuff), so I'll go with oil/wax for the next one, or pay someone to lacquer it for me.

Simo, I've got a couple of necks that I'll be carving in the next month or so, and your build inspired me to buy a Shinto Saw Rasp as a Christmas present to myself. B)

I'm almost certain you'll like it, if not you can send it to me, call it a late Christmas present :D