New 2/3 Scale Guitar

Thanks. The fretboard came from member Erikbojerik, along with a bocote and a couple of bloodwood boards. Great looking stuff from Erik!

One thing I noticed about the fretboard last night is that the nut slot is slightly too wide to fit a regular fender nut snugly. So, either I'll have to shim it or cut a new nut out of a wider piece of stock.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So, it's been ages. With a 15 month old running around as well as other life responsibilities, I haven't had much time to work on guitars. Finally got back to this build a little bit and made a little bit of progress.

The carve is about half way done, and the neck has been fretted.

KensleyGuitar5-2-111.jpg

Edited by mattharris75

Yeah, it really is an amazing fretboard.

A little more progress tonight, got the neck rough carved. Wenge is a bear to carve compared to the maple/walnut/mahogany type stuff I've done in the past. A bass neck out of this stuff would make your arms sore for days!

I'll probably stall out again here, as I have spring football (I'm a coach) for the next few weeks starting tomorrow...

IMG_4490.jpg

I'm glad to see some more progress on this Matt. This has always been one of my favorite builds. You've got some time yet though, 15 months is still a bit early to start playing. On the other hand, I'm betting that 15 months went by in the blink of an eye.

SR

• 1 year later...

Well, my daughter turns 3 tomorrow. Time flies! And I suppose it's about time for me to make my 'annual progress' on this build.

Actually, over the course of this year we've moved (had to build out and set my shop back up), had several surgeries, and had all sorts of 'real life' get in the way...

But now that the shop is set up and I have a little free time, I've gotten back to it.

I've worked on cleaning up and deepening the top carve, and done a little bit of carving to the back, as well as cutting the control cavity and control cavity cover. I found a piece of wood that was a pretty close match for the cover, but it's not quite perfect.

Really there's not a whole lot of wood working left. At this point it's just massaging a few things in the carves, adding the cavity for the jack, the tuner holes, and doing final sanding. Maybe I'll actually have it ready to spray some finish this spring! Fingers crossed!

IMG_8726_zpsf7fe8dd9.jpg

• Like 1

Matt, I was hoping this was going to make another appearance soon. I love the back carve too. That is a very close match for the cover. It is hard to get that close from a different piece...or different location in the same piece of wood. Your stuff is always worth waiting for.

THREE! Good lord!

SR

Thanks guys!

We had a little jam session last night, the 3 year old on drums and vocals and me on guitar. I berlieve we've got a hit on our hands with "The Monkey Jump Jam", she's got quite a talent for songwriting! So I think she's really going to enjoy this thing once it's finished. :)

Been doing more work. I decided to go with a strat style jack on the back like my bass builds, so I cut the jack hole on the back of the guitar. The problem is that the body is not as thick as the basses, so I've cut out a flamed maple plate to go under the jack plate which will be both decorative and give me a little more depth to work with.

The big thing is that I did my first finish test. And I learned quite a bit! :)

For one thing, it's extremely important to be consistent with sanding back the black when using lighter colors on top. I kind of haphazardly threw this together, and my surface prep and sanding back were marginal, and the result suffered for it. But of course, I learned a lot of what to do and what not to do when dying the top, so it was quite helpful!

This is black/scarlet red/yellow. The black was sanded back quite a bit, the red slightly less, and the yellow is full strength. I'm thinking I might get some dark brown to replace the black, and sand down both it and the red a bit less on the next attempt. I like the variation between the colors, and the overall orange tone, but I think it can be richer and more consistent if I make those changes.

finishtest1b_zpsd19d9e47.jpg

If red is going to be your midtone color, try adding red to your black or dark brown for your dark sand back color. You will be aiming for a super dark red instead of black or dark brown. This will make your dark to mid to light color transitions smoother and still provide plenty of contrast.

SR

That's ridiculous. I have never seen a tiger's eyeball that looked like figured maple. Oh, I guess the next one will be turtle-shell green. Deez guys...

On another note, the color is beautiful, and with all color mixing in art, the accidents are usually just a fantastically pigmented journey.

Turtle shell green.... Good idea, maybe if our next kid is a boy I'll do that for his. :)

Here is the maple jack plate spacer that I made, and how it sits on the guitar. It's 6mm deep and is 5mm wider than the jack plate all around. I think it's going to look pretty cool once it's finished and part of the guitar. Just one more little contrasting element.

Lousy cell phone pic...

jackplatespacer1_zps44cd5ec9.jpg

That's ridiculous. I have never seen a tiger's eyeball that looked like figured maple. Oh, I guess the next one will be turtle-shell green. Deez guys...

I know you are joking, but its the stone not animal and refers to a PRS colour for guitars

guitar finish:

p1_uihfsgayb_so.jpg

Stone:

gold_tigers_eye_tumblestone.jpg

animal:

bengal-tiger-eye-512765-sw.jpg

Yeah, I love the look of PRS's Tiger Eye finish. But honestly, I think it translates better to quilt than flame.

There's more black in my test piece than is evident in the image that I posted, but it's still not as dramatic as theirs.

And, honestly, after looking at the guitar and how dramatic the cocobolo fretboard is, I'm now questining whether or not to do a dyed finish, other than perhaps some sort of simple light brown to enhance the grain. It really looks prety awesome as is, lots of contrast.

What do you guys think?

Here is the maple jack plate spacer that I made, and how it sits on the guitar. It's 6mm deep and is 5mm wider than the jack plate all around. I think it's going to look pretty cool once it's finished and part of the guitar. Just one more little contrasting element.

That was nicely done.

Your light enhancement idea would look nice and tastefull......but I'd have a hard time not popping that figure. It's just too much fun. A burst would help separate it from the cocobolo.

SR

A burst would be another new process for me. The dyes I'm using are alcohol based. From what I've seen it looks like doing a rubbed on burst would be pretty easy with water based dyes. Not that I couldn't switch over and go that route...

I watched a video on youtube of Big D guitars doing a 'nuclear' burst that I really liked. But his example is on a burl guitar, which certainly gives a different effect. And again, I'm not sure it wouldn't be too 'matchy matchy' with the cocobolo.

This is going to take some thought. :blink: