Corvus Build-off

Komodo (you know you wanna)

I do really, but I'll be gone for a week and half on vaca. Maybe I'll do some sketchin and figurin and be back with more steam. I'm more interested in going to watch the shuttle launch with my two boys at this point. wOOt!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wez,

Was I the first to suggest that?

WarVus ? (Is still looks like a fantasy battle axe to me.)

If so, the name is all yours. When I thought of it, I googled Vus, but couldn't find out if it had some cool meaning to go with War. WaraVos didn't sound good, but would have meant "War to you" I think.

I did notice you left some headstock room, I'm thinking 0 fret and standard tuners at the base using a cheap $15 Wilkinson roller bridge.

May go with 1/2" maple top, 1" purple heart, and 1/4" maple back. That way when I router off the top where the tuners need to be sticking up to get the correct down angle and router the back to get it to the right thickness, the footstock(?) will be PH. It also means the "blade" will have a different color edge after I bevel it and makes doing the control routes and cavities easy.

Going with stock/cheap tuners, it's gonna be an uncomfortable wrist bend to tune, but I'm not seeing any Steinberger's on ebay, and given a few of us are probably looking right now, I won't bid without making sure I don't bid one of you guys up. Not sure I see an easy way around that.

Maybe it'll never go out of tune because it'll be too ugly to play.

yes, you can have credit for the name. still not sure what i am doing with the headstock end of things - going to have another draw before deciding and see what parts i have available for this... if i can do it without spending an extra penny other than finishing then i would be happy and may make a start on it

i like the sound of your plan, but if you see some steinberger tuners on ebay claim them as your own!

i can confirm i wont be doing a fanned fret corvus. it could work withthe angles in the body but i dont want to invest that much time and thought into it :D

Maybe in...it depends on a few things, mainly the possibility of the landlord thinking of selling the house...not time to start something like this!

I still think these rules are getting silly though. I like OrgMorgs reversalacovus corvax...it does look a bit better up side down. The headless thing is stretching things pretty far, but I'd be interested in doing something like this, but not sure the corvus is the thing...I am still trying to locate some hidden beauty in the thing, but I am fading fast....

But I have looked at this rear tuner thing for a long time...here's how one person mounts them...cause you can never have too many strings (what if one breaks!)...

td1.jpg

Problem is...is the corvus really the platform for such a thing?

I have had a lot of ideas floating around that I had been thinking of trying...if people too have ideas they want to prototype this kind of project may well be as good a thing as any to attempt them.

It seems strange that the "closer it is to the original" gets extra points where the real difficulty is in to try and make something of it which seems to imply that any corvus shaped bit of wood painted up with a neck bolted to it will win!

i would just like to see a more usable version of a rather lazy gibson design that to me does have some quirky appeal

This seems to fit closer to the 'ideal' to me (although WezV's sketch isn't working for me so far)...

So...are there going to be reverse tuner models?...cause I may be tempted to do something along those lines perhaps but I think the rear cut will need work to make it work and this might become a little less corvus-ish. The tuner thing does help things a bit though as it at least makes some "sense" to the rear cut out existing at all!

You know there's only one REAL way to explore the possibilities of that the Corvus could be, and it's not by talking (typing) about it. If the house situation pans out favorably (for a change, huh?), get yourself some construction-grade pine and get to making one!

Fair go...if i didn't type about it...who would there be to inspire misguided affections for it in the first place :D

Don't worry...I have my pencil and paper still...if all fails...there's still a chance of an origami corvus

Been a long time lurker here and somehow this corvus thing is growing on me. B) I\'ve had a multiscale 7 string in mind for quite a long time, already drawn it with all the parts so I took this as a basis to tweak the design of the body. I\'ve came up with 3 designs (sorry, no pencil drawing, computer only ;) )

One is the body shape unaltered, juste made a bit bigger to fit the 7 strings, with the tuners in the cutaway and a different pickguard and bevels. The problem I see with this setup is the string angle past the TOM on the treble strings and string trees are made for a narrower spacing... Would work with Steinberger tuners placed closer to the bridge though (done this on a headless I just finished)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9349/corvus1.jpg

Second one is the same body shape with the full fan on the frets and a real headstock. The shape of the bady has been tweaked a little, more meat on the armrest, but you can still recognize the corvus in it :D There is a steel rod through the body where the straplocks attach to somehow solve the balance issue (Saw this on this guitar by Damico, a french luthier

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/499/corvus4.jpg

On the last one, I came up with a upper horn in place of the steel rod. In this one, the bird is pointing upwards, this alone should be considered an improvement :D

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5826/corvus3.jpg

So far, I\'m liking the last one better. Might even consider building it, could be a practice for the real 7 string I planned, using the same parts on both. The price rule would be a little off since the bridges alone would almost blow it

Going to play with it a little more before deciding building it or not, but I thought i should share the sketches, in case it could give ideas (that wasn\'t already given B) )

Edited by Tranber

Great drawings...

corvus1.jpg

This kind of thing though perfectly illustrates the "problems" with the reversed tuner thing...how are you going to tune that low e string it's so tight...in fact the whole things will be tricky like that...but it looks kind of ok and makes more sense of the cut like I said...

Shows the benefit of thought, typing and drawing before taking saw to wood though :D

corvus4.jpg

This one is fun...shows how far out of whack the balancing point may be...of course, a helium ballon attached to the headstock might be a more aesthetically pleasing solution...with a long enough string, no one wuld notice it floating above you :D

corvus3.jpg

This one is sure to inspire some people...it's almost becomeing atrractive...a bit more girth and back end and its a super strat...opps...no, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a...opps...Yo know, I'm struggling to see the bird now, but I feel like there's a bird in their somewhere, perhaps an ibis...

pete

ps, links didn't work for me so pasted actual pics B)

That last pic is actually quite nice.

Yes...I thought so...except in judging under the most recent criteria we would have to take off marks for innovation and deviating from the design in form and function...not to mention fan fretting and the like...far to nice and practical...looks like something someone might play!

Yes...well...still having trouble seeing "the bird"...but what I do see in that last ne...if you put it upright on a guitar stand there's an oddly gumby like figure with it's right arm raised and waving....

Honestly, I don't really see it in the original corvus design either. But on my last one, take the upper horn as the head, with the beak and all, the bass horn and armrest as wings and the butt as a tail, from far away and in a thick mist, it looks like a bird. :D

Hey...now I don't see the pics in my own post...

Well, it took me a week to see the corvus...I kind of see it in yours and certainly a better design as you can see from the reponses, ell done, very impressive!

What do you use to draw them? Unfortunately, if I try to do that for speculative drawings it takes for ever, but a pencil and paper, especially tracing paper is a couple of minutes...hahaha

Still...it's inspiration that counts and yours were prtty darn good. I was surprised at orgmorgs version of a reversed corvus/corvax...looks better than the original even upside down! LINK

It seems to me a lot of people are coming up with the same ideas. Probably because the shape lends itself so well for it. This is one of the reasons I opened my building topic a couple of days back already, to make sure no one would state I ripped the idea from someone else.

@Tranber, those drawings look nice. I love the pickguard as opposed to the original one. I'm basically going with youre first drawing though I'll look into some design changes. Also I'll be having a headstock going with mine cause I hate the looks of a full headless.

I'm thinking of re-naming mine to: Varney (after sir Francis Varney the Vampyre, the great grandfather of dracula, actually the first full length fiction work on vampires). As I was planning on doing a horror inspired guitar.