Kramer Refinish

Here's a guitar refinish I've been working on for a while after it's first coat of finish. Really pleased with how this one has come out so far as there's been a lot of experimenting involved. The finish is a bit rough at this stage, but by the time she's completely finished, polished up and the hardware refitted I reckon it'll be one of my best yet..........

As you can probably tell I'm quite pleased with this one!! lol

Kramer%20Dragon.85.850.jpg

Jim :D

and the back jim!! B)

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I have to admit I really do kinda like this guitar myself (and that's not always the case!)

WezV, haven't taken a decent picture of the back since it's had the Kanji lettering applied and after the first finish coat, this was taken after the sealer coat was applied over the Samurai figure and rubbed down with 1000 grade wet and dry (so it looks flat). I'll whack a piccy of the back up once I've taken some pictures after clear coating and with the backplates back in place again B)

Kramer%20Dragon.56.550.jpg

Frazer, the white looking circle is the moon, it reflects back a little like a camera flash because it's silver leaf with a transparent white painted over the top, the idea was to give a kinda luminous effect so....... Whooo Hoo...............must be working!

ae3, Yes, been going on a while this one :D , it's a combination of airbrushing, painting with a brush, gilding, lots of tinted lacquers and very much a case of keeping everything crossed through most of the stages :D One day I'll hopefully actually know what I'm doing and maybe then the old nerves will get some respite!

Jim

How does the placement of the dragon go once you have the pickup rings in place? It looks like you'll lose some of the claws and neck?

looks like the pickups are direct mounted, look at the screw holes under the pickups feet area

Wow. Quite a work of art. I've never seen one of these Kramers before. Any info on the original?

IPA or death, here's a link to Kramers specifications page for this guitar.

Kramer 'Kramertorium' Specs

The guitar is very light and the neck is very slim, though the overall finish on this particular guitar was actually pretty poor (straight from the makers). That may possibly have been because they knew I was going to be refinishing it anyway.......... at least, I'd like to think that's the case and that they're not all like this one was. The guitar is so light weight, and the wood used for the body that soft and so easily 'dinged' that it almost feels like balsa wood, again though, this might just due to the guitars shape, very soft basswood not really ideal with those prominent pointy tips!

Other than that it's actually a nice shaped guitar that does grow on you.

Dadovfor, As WezV rightly say's the pickups are directly mounted. That was really the reason the dragon ended up being laid up that way in the design, as you say, with pickup rings it wouldn't have worked out so well.

Edited by Foggy

Dadovfor, As WezV rightly say's the pickups are directly mounted. That was really the reason the dragon ended up being laid up that way in the design, as you say, with pickup rings it wouldn't have worked out so well.

I've just learnt something (once again).

Very nice!

I've never seen one of these Kramers before.

Well, as you've probably seen in the link, it's because it's not a Kramer.

It's a Gary Kramer guitar. Different brand...

RAI6, Yup, I stand corrected, this is indeed a 'Gary Kramer' guitar and not a 'Kramer', as in a Gibson, Epiphone factory produced Kramer B)

I'll just toddle off now and hang my head in shame :D

Edited by Foggy

That is amazing Jim and its nice to see fellow UK members work, it just goes to show you haven't gotta cross the pond to get killer work done! looks like I might have a paintjob to do for me Jim when funds permit.

Thanks Kammo and brcck :D

Just let me know Kammo and I'll see what I can do B)

Kramer%20Dragon.85.850.jpg

It is beautiful...I was not familiar with this guitar...it's what a corvus could have been...

needless to say the artwork is superb and it needed a guitar like this to make it so effective...well done, and don't forget to post picks with the hardware and stuff when you're done...

pete