Undecided Body

i recently picked up a pretty nice wood and tool score so i decided it was time to start building again

i got a 6" band saw 4" belt /disk sander and a 10" table saw

i got 2 pieces of mahagony and 2 pieces of low grade birds eye maple, enough for 2 bodies with tops for about $80

im not sure on the body shape i want to use. either a lp or sg/ esp viper

6 inline headstock

floyd rose tremelo

24.75 scale

rosewood fretboard

maple neck

bolt on neck

abolone dot inlays with a head stock logo

body and neck binding

0515091823a.jpg

0515091823.jpg

Edited by Davis guitars

why can't you use 6"?

I don't see why not

Have you ever used a 9" for guitar building?Do you have pics of these 6" bandsaws?Because running a quick search on yahoo I don't find anything smaller than a 9"

I build all of my stuff with 9" bandsaws...and I have to get pretty inventive to make THAT work....

I would like to see a picture of these 6" bandsaws so I can see how the throat clearance will allow a body to be cut.

That's really nice, guys. Ride him into the ground without getting clarification on what he was meaning. Very classy. :D

I'll go out on a limb and guess that he meant it has a 6" height, not a 6" depth of cut. Really... it doesn't take a genius to make that connection considering that even the lowest grade bandsaws have a 9" throat.

Edited by avengers63

That's really nice, guys. Ride him into the ground without getting clarification on what he was meaning. Very classy.

What the hell are you talking about?All I or anyone else was doing was trying to figure out what was meant...

You need to step away from the computer or something.You are all wrong about this.I think you are carrying around a grudge...

..I thought it would be a very tiny blade with a total circumference of 6", meaning it would probably have less than a 1" throat

Honestly that is what I thought as well...at 4:45 AM on my way to work...nobody should assume that people mean anything they did not say...I think some guys just look for reasons to be upset. :D

its a 6" height ill provide pics later i only use it to rough cut then use a router to finialize every thing it works for what i do with it and picking it up at $75 doesnt hurt :D i thought the size of a band saw was the height had no clue about the throat

Edited by Davis guitars

They make a 6" bandsaw? What could that possibly be useful for?

I dont think a 6 inline headstock would work with any of those bodies...

why dont you think it would work with those bodies? looks or structerly(sp) its some kinda original i love lp and sg shapes but im not big of a fan of 3 and 3, all the guitars i have now are 3l 3r i want something differnt

Yes Cam, The measurement of a bandsaw is always the depth sideways ( the "C" Shape)

THats why I brought it up, and mentioned that I had never heard of a 6" bandsaw.

I was under the impression that a bandsaw's size is classified by the size of the wheels? The throat depth can be different depending on the type of frame even for a given classification of saw, as can the cutting height.

6" cutting height is good...very good...wish I had one that big...

That probably makes it a 14" or 16"..

Not necessarily. Mine is a 12" and has a 7" cut height. I've seen plenty of 12" with a 6" height. 6" height is typical of most bandsaws. You usually need riser blocks to get it to 12". I've seen a few with 8", but not many.

I was under the impression that a bandsaw's size is classified by the size of the wheels?

Correct.

They make a 6" bandsaw? What could that possibly be useful for?

I dont think a 6 inline headstock would work with any of those bodies...

why dont you think it would work with those bodies? looks or structerly(sp) its some kinda original i love lp and sg shapes but im not big of a fan of 3 and 3, all the guitars i have now are 3l 3r i want something differnt

... check out the other replies.... We thought it was the throat. If it was the throat, it would be not very useful. But we now know that it is not.

OH, Your right. Sorry about that. I had just got done with reading all the other posts about it, guess i skimmed thru the post.

I just dont think they would look good at all with a 6 inline headstock. Those are all fairly symmetrical shapes, which would be thrown off by the headstock.

i got a 6" band saw 4" belt /disk sander and a 10" table saw

It does say a 6" bandsaw, which has never been made So I goggled 6" band saw and look what I found

http://petersons-tools.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=15823

I don't think its worth anythingunless you are making minatre models, a 12" is the smallest useful bandsaw size I have tried. Anything smaller and Its just a crime that they are even manufactured,, LOL :D:D

It does say a 6" bandsaw, which has never been made So I goggled 6" band saw and look what I found

http://petersons-tools.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=15823

I don't think its worth anythingunless you are making minatre models, a 12" is the smallest useful bandsaw size I have tried. Anything smaller and Its just a crime that they are even manufactured,, LOL :D:D

Figures. B)

My first was/is a 10" Ryobi with a 4" height. For just cutting out the body, as well as many other functions, it worked great. I got the bigger one because I outgrew it as a woodworker. In and of itself though, it worked great and still does.

Not necessarily. Mine is a 12" and has a 7" cut height. I've seen plenty of 12" with a 6" height. 6" height is typical of most bandsaws. You usually need riser blocks to get it to 12". I've seen a few with 8", but not many.

cool..well,cutting height is very important,and 6" is great...You can do everything with that except resawing tops.

That's one of the major reasons I got the one I did. I wanted to resaw tops and other items, but I didn't want to drop an extra $100+ on the riser blocks and them install them. This came in on sale with an additional discount for ordering it on-line and picking it up at $360. Another $40 for the fence upgrade made it $400 with tax.