how much?

ultraman

I've owned that almost that exact same amp except mine was in head form. I personally don't like any of the "Valvestate" stuff any companies are putting out. Especially these earlier Marshall ones. The new ones like the AVT are getting closer but none of them sound at all like a real valve Marshall. 550$ is pretty high also, I doubt it sould for much more than that new. I bought the head new when it came out for about 600$. They also don't use Celestions, they use "Marshall Heritage" speakers which aren't terrible but are not as great as Marshall talks them up to be. You can easily find pretty decent valve Marshalls in used stores and ebay for less than that. I just got a 50W JCM 900 2x12 combo in really good shape for 450$ Look for the slightly older models for the best deals. The JCM 800's, 900's or even the DSL versions of the 2000's. If you've listened to Marshalls on your favorite recordings it probably came from those amps.

I own a similar amp but has two speakers (stereo). It does have the celestions and sounds great. The distortion is better than any I have heard (pedals and amps). My only issue is the effects loop. It's a serial loop and I really would benefit from having a parallel loop for my gear.

It looks like it has taken a real beating though. I wouldn't go over $250 if it were me. Make sure the speaker really is a Celestion. I heard they stopped putting those in somewhere in the 90's. Mine was an early 90's model and does have them.

Yeah, Dave's right about the speakers I guess they did put Celestions in some of those. Definately check though. If theres one on sale close, check it out. Play the crap out of it with a few different guitars and anything and everything you would normally play. In the end it's only your opinion of it that really matters.

I had the 2-12 version. It didn't have enough gain IMO. I'm not a super huge gain head, but it sounded like it was on 6 when it was on 10.

What is the 2-12 version? Do you mean two 12" speakers like the one I was talking about? We may not have had the same model but mine has two distortion options - the first is for that 70's raspy sound and the second is a high gain smooth, rich distortion. I have tried many pedals and rack units to try to improve on the distortion but I keep comming back to what is on-board the amp. I don't remember the model number of mine - something like 8240 or something like that? Anyway, the distortion channel is one of the biggest reasons why I really like my amp and have not gotten rid of it over the years. I have tried others but for some reason, it still out-does everything I have tried as far as a rich distortion sound goes.

The only reason I mention this is that determining amp quality is similar to pickups. If you look on harmony central, you will see a huge swing in opinions on just about every pickup listed. Some people love them, and others will say they are terrible. It's so hard to know without trying it yourself.

The real Celestion helps but it doesn't justify 550$. You should really go play one before commiting. If your looking for the classic Marshall sound I don't think you'll be satifsfied with it, but thats just my 2 cents. BTW is this an additional amp or replacing your main amp, or maybe your first amp. Just something to consider, weigh it's sound and price versus what you already have and against what your looking for. Through the years I never got the exact amp I wanted. I would get one that I liked enough and play it for a year or two or until I had money to upgrade to something I liked better. Maybe eventually I'll make it up to that Mesa Road King in Red Snakeskin tolex that I've been drooling over. :D

this is gonna be my main amp if i get it

yeah im going to try it tommorow

im gonna try to get it for at least 50 bucks less.

besides the distortion not being that great is it pretty good?

i dont really use the distortion on the amp since i spent so much on my multi effects.i can pretty much do anything possible with it

and theres also a new line 6 spider II amp for sale

its the one 12 inch speaker 75 watts model

its like 550 canadian $ i think.

anyone tried it?

Hmm.... Are things that much more expensive in Canada? Musicians' Friend has the Spider II 112 Combo for $299 US with free shipping in US (don't know about Canada.)

Hmm.... Are things that much more expensive in Canada? Musicians' Friend has the Spider II 112 Combo for $299 US with free shipping in US (don't know about Canada.)

they are!

everytime i wanna buy something, i have to pay canadian prices cus

musiciansfriend doesnt ship to canada!!!

argh

but has anyone tried it? hows it like?

FWIW, Bluebook value (retail) on the 8080 Valvestate is $200CDN (average) to $325CDN (excellent), amd Prepal lists $295CDN as average Ebay price. Around here, you're lucky to get $200USD (ca.$262CDN) for one in excellent condition. I'd either offer a much lower price, or look elsewhere. The Line 6 Spider is one you'll either love or hate. Don't buy one without playing it extensively. Some people make 'em sound really good, but lots of folks don't <ahttp://www.projectguitar.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png' alt=':D'> The Line 6 Dealer List covers dealers all over Canada - you might want to make a few calls.

What is the 2-12 version? Do you mean two 12" speakers like the one I was talking about? We may not have had the same model but mine has two distortion options - the first is for that 70's raspy sound and the second is a high gain smooth, rich distortion.

Yeah 2x12" speakers. The 8060 or some weird number, I can't remember. Mine was the same, 2 distortions. The "OD2" just didn't have enough kick. I even replaced the tube to see if that was it.

I played it with guitars from everything from EMG 81s, Gibson 500Ts, Duncan JBs and distortion pickups. It just didn't thicken up. It didn't have enough "umpf" for me. It didn't sound like a Marshall.

Like most others have said, the only way to know is to go and play through it yourself.

what amp are you talking about?

Mine is an 8240. 2 - 12" Celestion spkrs. When I bought it, I didn't plan on buying any particular brand. I was looking around in the store and someone else was checking it out. It sounded awesome to me and I had to have it. Not that there is anything wrong with the clean channel, but the main reason I bought it was for the distortion channel. I do have two EQ's and a multi-effects unit (G Major) if that helps you understand my setup.

Also, I have come to understand lately that it is farily common for people to use distortion and overdrive pedals in conjunction with the distortion channel of the amp. I have been out of the loop for a long time when it comes to effects, and amp setups. The last time I played around with this was back in college and it sounded like crap when I tried doing that. The thing I never tried was turning down the gain on the pedals. So anyway, if you're still not happy with the distortion on it (I personally like it a lot) - you have options.

Check it out - maybe the price is too high (I don't know) but you can at least find out if you like the Valvestate amps.

Dave