Your fav Tool?

renablistic

What is your favorite tool for guitar work?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nuthin' like a good handjobbed guitar. My favorite part of the building process is handsanding the body with a foam pad. I'd even consider doing a time-lapsed photog series while sanding mahogany. You can actually see the wood grain move around over time. Now that is art at its finest. The smell of freshly sanded wood and that rasping sound. I could spend hours doing that on my backyard tool bench on a nice summer day.

Yeah Maynard is great vocalist and Adam Jones is an underated guitarist. Danny Carey is a great drummer too. Tool is just a great band.

haha...back to the real topic...well being that I only have used my hands, a bandsaw, drill press, mill, and my dremel-esque RTX, I'd have to say the mill was rather cool to use because you could move precise distances. I am a bit of a clutz and super impatient, so doing things by hand (or RTX) usually got f'd up. But I have more fun with electronics so maybe my soldering gun...or my screwdrivers cuz I always liked piecing it together at the end to make the finished product.

took me a while to decide but i ended up going with hand, although inacurate and tedious, they're more "oops proof" and rewarding.... router was a close second, cause you can level, shape, straighten, deepen, clean up, and cut very nicely if you know what you want to do.

• 10 months later...

Of course , it would have to be ' neck-jig'. I'm currently working on a problem neck ( slooooowly working on a problem neck, because it needs a fret-wire size I don't have, and the fret-wire supplier is taking their good old time-- don't tell me just go to stew-mac, I'm trying to surpass that fret-wire).

Anyway, I was trying to determine where to set the t-rod and find out how much it controls the neck, and at what point does the t-rod stop being useful to the neck adjusting, even still having tension on it. Ok, this is all nice and boring and will help you get a good nights sleep (while sitting upright in front of the computer right now), but anyway, it's just cool to watch a dial indicator show me what the truss-rod adjustment is doing to the neck.

Edited by soapbarstrat