Just noticed something about bassists

The Nordic Gawd

Whatever happened to the whole Charles Mingus theory that bassists can be a lead instrument. That should definately be brought back in mainstream music. The bass is a beautiful sounding instrument with many organic great sounds. My personal favorite demonstration of the "charles mingus theory" is primus. Man oh man you guys should check them out. their head bassist is POSITIVLY amazing. Les can do anything with that bass. He combines heavy music with funk style slap. and hillbilly-esque stylings. i love every second if it. its just so true. In my band and our first CD "wet puppy" laugh if you must. is a jazz/funk cd that features me on guitar my friend luke on bass steven lowenthal a kid who knows his theory on piano and a shmuck named danny parrella who can be cool sometimes but we have him with us because we really dig him as a drummer. I play rythym sometimes and let luke do the lead work sometimes. And we essentially switch, I feel that bassists are not just someone to keep the beat and the melody. I think they are a valuable member of a band. Not just to the guitarist. remember that when your watching some of the instrumental players. It seems as though they're only worried about their guitar sounding great. WHAT ABOUT THE BASSISTS! there are bassists out there that could probably school vai. PEOPLE COME ON! WHERES THE LOVE FOR THE BASSES!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad, my all-time favorite bass players are dead. Gary Thain of Uriah Heep dead at 27 yrs (damn drugs) back in 1975, John "The Ox" Entwistle aka "Thunder Fingers" died last year at 58 yrs. But hey, Jack Bruce (Cream) is still alive but don't know if hes still making music. All those guys were unique and worked very intricate fills into the bands music.

If interested check out:

Uriah Heep's "Magician's Birthday", kickass wahwah solo in the title song by Mick Box too.

The Who "Live at Leeds"

and of course, "Crossroads" by Cream

I still can't figure out why the good ones have such a short lifespan.

Gary Thain was a great bass player. My first Rock and Roll album as a kid was Uriah Heep Live. Still one of my favorites. If you really want to hear some cool bass work, check out the old Keef Hartley Band stuff. Battle of the NorthWest Six is a great one. Thain really hits it on this album. (I think the other one he really nails is "Halfbreed")

The best part of "Live at Leeds" IMHO is the second CD with the playing ot "Tommy" Entwistle is all over this one. Moon is drumming on the very edge of magic and madness. and Entwistle hangs in somehow, and makes it all fit together. Scary stuff to listen to even by today's standards. Moon's drumming on that album still puts my blood pressure up into the "Not safe for an old guy" zone.

Tony Levin is a bad-ass.

And I like Flea too, among others.

On a lesser note, Les Claypool auditioned and got turned down for the Metallica bass spot opening.

B) BWAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!!!!! :D

i heard that one too...i don't know how true it is...i heard they didn't want such a stand out bassist...might walk on james' ego

Tony Levin is a bad-ass.

On a lesser note, Les Claypool auditioned and got turned down for the Metallica bass spot opening.

:D BWAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!!!!! B)

i heard that one too...i don't know how true it is...i heard they didn't want such a stand out bassist...might walk on james' ego

It was mentioned in a few interviews with Les, so it's definately true. There are some bootleg versions of Master of Puppets (covered by Primus) out there.

Thain, Geddy Lee, Flea, yep all great!

Don't forget Leon Wilkeson from Skynyrd. I never realized how much he carried the music for Skynyrd until I started playing bass. The guitars just seem to follow him and add some wild stuff in between his wild stuff. A great unsung bass player IMO. Master of the blues bass - check out "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" for one of his best bass lines.

Tony Levin is a bad-ass.

:D BWAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!!!!! B)

It was mentioned in a few interviews with Les, so it's definately true. There are some bootleg versions of Master of Puppets (covered by Primus) out there.

It was also mentioned in a few Metallica interviews with James Hetfield regarding Cliff Burton's replacement. I guess Kirk Hammett was buddies with Les so he got the audition that way, but style-wise Les and James didn't click.

But Primus actually does a cover of The Thing that Should Not Be.

The bassist in Spacehog holds his own too. Their hit "In the Meantime" has a cool bassline and the bassist is also singing while playing. Spacehog is another great band I recommend if you want something a little less Tenacious D and more rock.