wireless effects pedals

jefm

I don't know if anyone has had this cross their minds before...

There is wireless transmitters for the signal...what about wireless controllers for effects pedals...instead of having a mess of wires and pedals you could flick switches or knobs to activate and adjust pedals...

it'd probably take a lot of knobs to do any tinkering...but if you were able to have stored presets and a switch to activate them...you could store a few you use during a show and use a swich to move between them and maybe a knob to adjust the mix of the effects...it'd allow more complicated and precise mid song transitions...you'd still have to keep some things like wah's out but most this could likely help out...

on another somewhat related note...gibson has a guitar that outputs in digital...imagine a wi-fi or bluetooth guitar

Just dreaming I guess...I can't begin to imagine all the minor pain in the but problems that'd solve...likely not worth the cost but probably not far away

one of the thingsthat i have been thinking about which is partially along the same lines. imagine if you had a guitar with a wireless transmitter built into it. so there was no output jack. imho ithink it would be pretty cool. only problem i can see with it is that you would have to keep loads of spare batteries in order to play it lol since i think that wireless units eat them

Hahaha....cb's

I had a friends guitar that'd do that... it'd crack me up...she'd be playing and all of a sudden you'd hear people talking...and then she'd turn a different direction and it'd stop...

it'd pick up the electric fence too...that was a pain

A high speed digital format like bluetooth or 802.11 would give less interference...

they already have wireless transmitters for guitars...I don't know how much interference they pick up or how they'd work with multiple guitars using it...a digital protocol could sort that out...maybe have a guitar router???

I'd be interested to hear more about the wireless effects switching though...I think that sounds like exactly what I mean...just mounted on the guitar maybe on the side or up near where they keep the PU switch on a LP...or under the pick guard jimmy page style

I guess technically you could do it with a regular wireless, but youd have to be wired to your pedals, and run the transmitter at the end of the pedals. BUt that's probably not what you are thinking of.

As for units...Rocktron made the Patchmate which is like a midi-ized patchbay. You could plug in all or a lot of your pedals and have the midi switch the loop for that particular pedal. They also had a corresponding pedal called the all access that would work off phantom power thru the midi cable. So you'd still have a midi cable, but no power plug in. Digital Music/Voodoo Labs makes a comparable one, but you have to use their pedal. I bought a Rocktron used on ebay and it works well, and also channel switches my Mesa Recto solo and 3 regular channels.

i could see that happening in a while. Wi-fi is out on a rampage. The new G is just incredible. gret distance plus a pretty fast connection. and wi fi is getting cheap and widely used. But the RF signals used to transfer small amounts of information and radio waves have different propierties. very short wavelength small frequency on those RF's but on the wi-fi its REALLY high wavelength and really high frequency. I think it'd probably explode any analog componants for the effects.

Yeah the built in effects could be a compromise...but for complicated stuff it'd be too big and heavy to have in the guitar

The midi stuff sounds promising but not quite what I was aiming for...

I was thinking something like maybe one of those amps like the cybertwin or some of line6's stuff where it has presets...but instead of an amp maybe a bay with modular pedals that you can plug in and set presets on...which would unfortunately mean proprietary pedals...I don't know a simple way that you could interface with existing ones without modifiying much since they're basically all mechanical...

but with a system like that you could buy the effects you need and adjust them and set up presets and on your guitar have something unobtrusive like a second 5 way switch to select the presets and another knob for the wet dry ratio...

thinking about it actually it wouldn't be much data to transfer so you could probably use a system like in an RC car and piggyback it onto an existing wireless out jack

of course 802.11 and bluetooth would be nice if you wanted to make a more complicated setup or maybe have a midi converter in your guitar and transmit that wirelessly...it would also enable error checking for the cleanest cleans...range doesn't matter much....shorter would actually probably be better to avoid interference...

getting rid of the patchbays and snakes and the mess of pedals and such would be wonderful though...it'd be cool to network all the equipment on a lan...it'd be weird and maybe overcomplicating things...but then youd be able to position the equipment wherever to get a more optimum arrangement of stage space and sound quality...but then you'd have to get an IT guy as a roadie :-)

the wireless stuff I mentioned is probably overkill but I'd imagine you could get a better signal than a regular wireless RF transmitter...

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I came across the epiphone professional in a book...it's actually exactly what I mean...except done more as a retrofit than a manufactured guitar...

there's a bit of info on this page...just search to professional

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#pro

kind of a neat guitar...

there's also the godwin guitar organ....kind of overkill though...

What a crazy weird guitar

http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/italiane...isc/godwin.html

Neal Schon (is that how you spell it?) used to have his wireless transmitters embedded in his guitars. He had a PRS fitted with one that I can't seem to find on the web anymore. I think he's endorsing one of the Ethernet systems now instead of wireless. That's for the guitar though - not effects.

having a wireless system embedded inside the guitar would be damn cool, only thing is that if i had electronics inside the guitar id prefer not to have the batteries inside it and to use a stereo cable and jack to get power to the guitar. course then you need a lead and there's no point having the wireless inside, then there's no point hacing the power etc etc etc

Steve Vai once said he wanted a box that had all his fx in it on top of his amp and he could change the sounds by thinking. i designed and prototyped a midi device that worked in conjunction with a wireless transmitter and a few other nifty little things that could fit in a beltpack next to your wireless guitar transmitter to control it with body movement.

well anyway he turned me down, so i sold it for a couple of hundred bucks to a guy in atlanta. who still uses it to this day.

That sounds cool...

Did it convert the guitar to midi first or was the midi control for the effects only

do toy have any pics or schematics or anything....that sounds really great

no the midi signal was strickly for the fx switching only.. the actual changing of it was based on the position of the crystal necklace that had a mercury based switch system in it. i canablized an old rc car that had a headband for a controller and headback was reverse head forward was forward etc etc.. i dont' have a pic anymore i dont' think i can look and see but i will have to dig throug a couple dozen floppy disks.

i might be able to dig up a schematic on it, but it would be partial at best. one of these days i will re do it. but right now i am having too much fun desining my own effects.. i am doing a limited production of my hatemachine pedal.

Hehehe...you just joined and have more posts than me almost...

You're going to give yourself carpal tunnel if you devour the electronics board the way you have been...

Anyway...Welcome

Was it actually midi or was it a adaptation from RC stuff...

thinking about it it'd be easier to do it that way anyway...I was probably over complicating things....Taking care of things digitally would likely be the realm for manufacturers...having guitars networked and routed to whatever amp and being able to switch on the fly and a perfect clean signal to start from...dreams I guess...

But...Something I could do if i get the time is an RC controlled mechanical switch...probably a two way momentary on switch and a stepper motor to move from one effect to the next...like a sequential tranny in a car...with a little planning some complicated effects switching cold be done...a little like an input switcher for a tv...Hmmmm...that actually wouldn't be hard at all....and it could be really small...maybe I should get some of those knock off mini-rc cars :-)

I was kind of thinking about this anyway....but something in your post sparked something

Anyway...not trying to hijack my own topic...but good job on the guitar mod tutorials...they're a little hard to follow but I'll give them a shot when I'm not tired

You should maybe do an explanation on why some of them work...dissect them per se...The clipper is neat....not the kind of distortion I like but can't complain I guess...Why would it have to be those diodes and not normal silicon???

Hehehe...you just joined and have more posts than me almost...

You're going to give yourself carpal tunnel if you devour the electronics board the way you have been...

Anyway...Welcome

Was it actually midi or was it a adaptation from RC stuff...

thinking about it it'd be easier to do it that way anyway...I was probably over complicating things....Taking care of things digitally would likely be the realm for manufacturers...having guitars networked and routed to whatever amp and being able to switch on the fly and a perfect clean signal to start from...dreams I guess...

But...Something I could do if i get the time is an RC controlled mechanical switch...probably a two way momentary on switch and a stepper motor to move from one effect to the next...like a sequential tranny in a car...with a little planning some complicated effects switching cold be done...a little like an input switcher for a tv...Hmmmm...that actually wouldn't be hard at all....and it could be really small...maybe I should get some of those knock off mini-rc cars :-)

I was kind of thinking about this anyway....but something in your post sparked something

Anyway...not trying to hijack my own topic...but good job on the guitar mod tutorials...they're a little hard to follow but I'll give them a shot when I'm not tired

You should maybe do an explanation on why some of them work...dissect them per se...The clipper is neat....not the kind of distortion I like but can't complain I guess...Why would it have to be those diodes and not normal silicon???

cool i will try to check back here more often i have insomnia so i am online at weird sporadic times. i am also the no. one poster at another site, and two more until they closed down.. so this gives me somthing to read now.. check this out.;

1 Ansil chattanooga TN 18 Aug 2003 1357

2 petemoore 07 Sep 2003 1177

3 Peter Snowberg Marin County, California 17 Aug 2003 1107

4 smoguzbenjamin Leiden, The Netherlands 30 Oct 2003 991

5 aron Hawaii 15 Aug 2003 908

6 anonymousexperimentalist 28 Aug 2003 880

7 Mark Hammer 19 Aug 2003 752

8 Paul Perry (Frostwave) Melbourne, Australia 17 Aug 2003 615

9 Marcos - Munky Brazil 17 Aug 2003 608

10 gez London 17 Aug 2003 558

this is from arons

www.diystompboxes.com

this is the new forum i had the no. 1 slot for sometime at the older one before this one became so big.. lol even funnier we have 999 peopel registered there and i still have the no.1 space. lol i guess those years in engineering school payed off.

it was an analog singal controling a midi controler via a 4016 if i am not mistaking.. its been a while like over 10 years

Matt Bellamy of Muse has guitars with built-in effects, that is sortof along the same lines innit?

Matt uses a Rocktron All-Access pedalboard for controling most of his effects, and then he has some analog effects in his guitars (Z-Vex Fuzz factory, Wah Probe, and MXR Phase 90). Two of his guitars also have a midi strip controller on them that he can assign to any midi effect parameter (normally Digitech Whammy) on the fly (no forums). See here for more info.

Matt Bellamy of Muse has guitars with built-in effects, that is sortof along the same lines innit?

Are you from Leicester by any chance innit?

Lightbulbjim - you've just described my brother down to the last letter.

Ansil - what's your story then, you seem to be a bit of an electronics guru?

20+ years takings stuff apart and buidign with it.

14years+ wiring guitars and such

14+ years doing bobbrahshaw type wiring for fx routing

5+years of pedal making.

3 years engineering in robotics, and computers. top 5% of class. 3.7gpa

jobless lol :D

20+ years takings stuff apart and buidign with it.

14years+ wiring guitars and such

14+ years doing bobbrahshaw type wiring for fx routing

5+years of pedal making.

3 years engineering in robotics, and computers. top 5% of class. 3.7gpa

jobless lol B)

Jobless and brainy - lucky man :D