Project Typhon

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, they are already glued. I know it is a dangerous situation but I only use a grinder with flap disk to rough out the back half of the carve, so it never gets anywhere near the neck. The rest is done with a rasp and scrapers, and the rasp never gets near the fret board. So even though it is a little tougher work, I try to minimize the risk. Plus I feel this method gives me a lot greater control of the contour.

The first few carved tops I did, was with the neck already glued in, so this is just the method that I got comfortable with. I am still trying new techniques every time, but I only try those on guitars for myself or to sell locally on consignment. So while this way is a little higher risk, I feel the risk for me is still lower than trying something new and messing things up worse.

But the day I do it this way and mess up the neck, I’ll be eating those words.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After a few more weeks of goofing off mixed with random hours of sanding and test painting she is finally ready for paint. Nothing fancy in this photo, but this is the last time you'll see natural colored wood. This is wetted with naptha. Tomorrow night I'll break out the dye and the paint.

db_DSC006411.jpg

The chatoyance on that top is outstanding, can't wait to see it finished.

I never thought I would need a dictionary to read posts on here, but I guess I was wrong. But at least I learned something new today. Anyway thanks for the compliment. I ran a few color tests on some off cuts, and the finished product should look very nice.

For now the colors will remain a secret. Got to keep people on edge a little.

For now the colors will remain a secret. Got to keep people on edge a little.

this is the last time you'll see natural colored wood....Tomorrow night I'll break out the dye and the paint.

The use of the word paint in reference to that top has certainly got me on edge. :D

SR

I should expect colors like that from you Jon. While fuscia isn't quite my thing, I think this would actually look pretty damed sweet in a transparent lime green.

Unfortunately neither of those two colors will be used.

I'll keep you a little less on edge Scott, it is going to be all transparent colors I'm using. I think I would get banned from the board if I used opaques over quilted maple.

Here is a little color work I got done this weekend. Dyed the top with a very lite grey, sanded back and then a lite amber mix and then sealed with poly. I will start with the candy colors tonight.

The back looks worse than it really is. The finish exagerates the pores. For this one I am just going to build the finish to fill the pores of the mahogany, so for the first two coats it's still pretty rough. But it looks like once it's sanded back, it'll take one more coat and then it should be level.

db_DSC006511.jpg

db_DSC006571.jpg

db_DSC006611.jpg

• 10 months later...

I am finally getting around to posting pictures of this. I actually finished it up before Christmas, it just took forever until I got pictures sorted and uploaded. So here is the final result. The customer wanted a paint job that looked kind of like a nebula, so this is what we agreed on. This is a light amber center out to a candy green out to a transparent midnight blue which carries around to the back. The inlay work on the back was done in house and the inlay work on the neck was done by Cliff at Shark Inlay. I ended up taking pictures and decided after I did to move the Ghost Saddle wires under the bridge, so even though they are shown here they were moved, but that was a last minute deal that was done in the final hours before it shipped and I never got to take pictures of it.

db_Front_13.jpg

db_Art_front_33.jpg

db_Art_front_63.jpg

db_Art_Front_14.jpg

db_Back_13.jpg

db_Cover_13.jpg

db_Head_13.jpg

Custom Typhon Gallery

I was just thinking about this build a week or so ago and wondered what happened to it. I must say...

WOW! I did not see that coming. Awesome finish! I especially like the headstock treatment. The masked areas creating the plasma rays or whatever you are calling them turned out very well. I can't say I like the way it looks better than the double fade you did on the headstock, but I love the way it was executed. I did not foresee a black back either. It really makes the inlays pop. In fact I did not expect any of the black in this but I'm sure glad it's there! Tremendous look. Were the back inlays tough, or maybe I should ask was it tough painting around them and cleaning the edges and whatever it took to make them come out this nice?

Is that a P-rail in the bridge? How's it sound?

SR

Edited by ScottR

Yes it is a P-Rail. I can't remember exactly how it sounded anymore, but I can say I will be putting one of those in one of my personal guitars in the future. Not overly powerfull as a humbucker, closer to a SD Jazz, it gets nice a gritty, but cleans up nicely as well. Split it gets a pretty good P-90 sound and the rail is nice and glassy.

The painting wasn't actually that hard around the inlays, just time consuming. I used frisket paper over the inlays and trimmed to the shape. Once the paint once on I gave it enough time to set up that I could pull the frisket before it started to actually dry. After that it was only a little touch up here and there with a broken exacto blade as a scraper.

I will agree that the headstock got a nicer fade than the body. I've been working on sunbursts more since then and most of them are getting nicer than this one.

:O WOWWWWWWWWWW!

I didn't see this coming either. Definitely made my morning coffee and forum browse a little more interesting :D

Fit and finish look great, how does she play?

ps. Pretty slick logo aswell :D

Edited by ae3