A New Neck-thru Quilt Top Dc

Yeah, I think if I used anything darker it would have really taken away from the orange, and I wanted it bright. Like retina searing bright. Even in the end grain of the figuring I wanted it really bright, not with that extreme color contrast that you see in the examples Wez posted.

As it is, it retains a lot of that three dimensional effect too. You can still rotate it in the light and see all sorts of interesting shifts. With the black in there one look would just blow the whole load with nothing extra to see in there. But like Wez said, that would probably reveal more of the figuring for a photograph - but I don't really like that approach.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful as usual Metalhead!!! But i don't know if the comments about using black dye first killing the 3D affect are all true. Take this for instance

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=41949&st=0

And im sure ive seen Drak use black dye first on his finishes,it just depends on the type of finish you want and of course skill in creating what you setout to achieve.

Looking forward to see this beauty with some hardware mate.

Chad.

It's just a different look. More drastic, but IMO less chatoyance because you're SEEING less of that end grain change, the lows (since it's now black). Some call that killing the natural reflections and looking dead. Some call it highlighting the figure you DO see (the highs). It's just personal preference names for the same thing. That's my take on it.

Personally. I really like both for different looks. I tend to like black for the darker colors (red, blue, dark green, etc.) because it makes them more aggressive, dark, brooding, etc. to me. And then for the lighter colors I feel the black muddies things up a bit more than a COLORED sandback would have.

Chris

I guess it all depends on what you're going for. Black on endgrain can make things look pretty drastic. Sometimes it can be overkill. In person, the grain will still dance as long as you sand back enough. I made some pens in the "other woodworking" section of the forum, and i used only black dye on them, and sanded back some (probably could have sanded back a little more). The pictures are aweful and do the grain no justice, but the actual pens are pretty sweet in person!

I guess it all depends on what you're going for. Black on endgrain can make things look pretty drastic. Sometimes it can be overkill. In person, the grain will still dance as long as you sand back enough. I made some pens in the "other woodworking" section of the forum, and i used only black dye on them, and sanded back some (probably could have sanded back a little more). The pictures are aweful and do the grain no justice, but the actual pens are pretty sweet in person!

Yeah for sure. Im guessing you are all familiar with Jeff Miller, well here is a build which he used the same method as Metalhead, his, i thought used black dye first but going back through the photos he hasn't. So i proved myself wrong basically!haha Nice look though! :D

http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars10.htm

have you all noticed the common variable that makes a black sandback work out nicely.... wood quality plays a massive role here.

if you have massively figured wood you can afford to loose a little of the 3d effect and still have it look great.

My problem with the technique is when its used:

a) with strongly contrasting colours like yellow over black and

:D when its used to 'pop' figure on wood that isnt highly figured -it just doesnt work out as cleanly

• 2 weeks later...

looking really great man! Love your builds a lot! It seems like you work really quickly. You went from naked lumber to a finished instrument in like 20 days! And its not like you rush through everything either. Do you make a schedule for everything prior to starting the build?

looking really great man! Love your builds a lot! It seems like you work really quickly. You went from naked lumber to a finished instrument in like 20 days! And its not like you rush through everything either. Do you make a schedule for everything prior to starting the build?

Not really. And actually it was more like 3 months working on this one (among others)

Actually, if I could keep the interruptions down I could get through them a hell of a lot faster. I'm working on that at the moment.

Maybe I exaggerated with the 20 days, but you started this thread on Feb. 28th so its still been less than 2 months. And like you said, its not the only one youve been working on. Either way, super impressive work man! Good job man! Ill stop interrupting you now so you can get that thing done! :D

Quick question though, I recall seeing some ca work for a new flat top body design you were working some time ago. Any projects coming up that incorporate that body?