A New Neck-thru Quilt Top Dc

I mixed it up a bit this time. Decided to carve the top before attaching it.

A couple of people have asked me to elaborate about how I carve tops in the past:

I start with a relief cut around the perimeter to determine the depth:

IMG_2658Medium.jpg

A few passes with the angle grinder:

IMG_2659Medium.jpg

I sort of do it in three sections, the back, and then either side:

IMG_2660Medium.jpg

IMG_2662Medium.jpg

Same thing in the cutaways:

IMG_2664Medium.jpg

Then I go after it with a RO sander & 60 grit paper:

IMG_2665Medium.jpg

Here the shape is just about there (haven't hit the lower cutaway yet)

IMG_2666Medium.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the action shots, but they look somewhat artificial....where are the rest of the shavings in the one with the plane?!? Just kidding.

Fantastic work - I've never found it an easy or quick process to create the neck pocket within the top wood before glueup. An achievement milestone for most, that is.</yoda>

100_3267Medium.jpg

and this pic illustrates exactly how you deal with putting a neck pocket onto a top before joining it to the body.

its not a problem at all if you have a neck pickup.

Even if you dont have a neck pickup its no more difficult then having a template for the neck shape that matches the body.... just a different process with a through neck with a top across all off it

Indeed. My current two bass builds require the end of the neck the be sculpted to match the body's top including a small riser for the end of the fretboard so will be completely visible in the finished instrument. Complete PITA!

VM&P? Vodka Martini & Petrol? I'm sure the Martini will make the top greasy :-\

Nothing too terribly original, but I think this one is going to be pretty sweet.

5 piece neck - maple/mahogany/wenge/mahogany/maple

Mahogany body

Quilted maple carve top & headstock cap

Ebony fretboard

24 Stainless steel frets

Hipshot Hardtail bridge - chrome

Seymour Duncan P-Rail pickup set - cream

Sperzel locking tuners - chrome

Maple pickup rings

The reason I'm excited is the bright orange dye planned for the top / headstock. It's also getting a nitro finish.

I've snapped a few pics here and there over the last few weeks.

I'm actually building a pair of very similar ones at the moment:

100_3221Medium.jpg

Pausing for another action shot:

100_3228Medium.jpg

I'm thinking of building a neck-through myself, so just after a dimensional check. I presume you made the neck into a full-size rectangle, then you have cut away from under the neck, then cut away the section above where the body will be. Is this correct?

And roughly what were the dimensions of the laminated board you constructed, before cutting away these sections, (length x width x depth)? {excluding the wings for the peghead}

Thanks

I'm thinking of building a neck-through myself, so just after a dimensional check. I presume you made the neck into a full-size rectangle, then you have cut away from under the neck, then cut away the section above where the body will be. Is this correct?

And roughly what were the dimensions of the laminated board you constructed, before cutting away these sections, (length x width x depth)? {excluding the wings for the peghead}

Thanks

Yes, I started with a rectangle about 2 1/4" x 3" x 41", but that was dictated by my design. Different designs may require much different sizes.

The body end is cut away because there was a top to glue on which covered the neck.

Love the top on this one, but I've always wondered... why do you leave the heel like that on all your builds? There's nothing wrong with it now and it looks comfortable, but its a neck-thru so you shouldn't have any problems removing more from the heel and making it more comfortable, right?

A few people have asked me that.

I like easy access, but I just don't want to overkill it. I think some neck-thru guitars go way overboard with scooping out the heel area, removing a lot of wood that isn't necessary to remove, and then you start to affect the tone. (My opinion) I think of a single cut guitar versus a double cut, the single usually sounds fatter. I think that extra material has a lot to do with it, so while I'm not going to get the tone of a single cut, I still don't want to remove any more wood than I have to in order to get the heel out of the way and comfortable.

And my personal feeling is that it's more comfortable with something there. If it was my personal guitar I might even leave that heel larger.

Yeah I find the Jacksons with massively scooped out heels really uncomfortable. There is nothing for my hand to rest against when I have to rotate my wrist to hit the high frets, which tires my hand out really fast.

It's just like how thin necks don't nessecarily play better than fat necks, it's all about fitting an individual hand and playing style.