How Much Do You Sell Your Guitars For

I am one of those that really admire and look up to Perry. He is doing exactly what I dream to one day. In the course of the last year I have to started to take steps to try and position myself to get there one day. While I have my head in the clouds about building guitars for a living one day I have kept my feet on the ground knowing how hard it can be to reach that status. But I will be more than happy if I only ever do it as a hobby. If I can make enough money to maintain and occasionally upgrade my tools, and to build a few guitars for myself I will be very happy. It is all about the enjoyment of building still.

As for price, I do not consider myself a pro by any means, but I know how much it is going to cost in parts and time so I start base packages at $800 with upgrades available. I do not list prices for upgrades, simply because there are too many and market prices vary. I won’t rip anyone off, but there are just too many variables. I start full custom at $1200, but that price usually climbs very quickly.

My current build is over double that price, but I am making very little money on it. I have $1000 into the electronics alone, and about $800 into the inlays, so my profit margin is very slim. But I am willing to do this build at such a low price because it is going to be an eye catcher and the type of work that I can really promote myself with. Some things go farther than money, and good publicity is one of them.

My current build is over double that price, but I am making very little money on it. I have $1000 into the electronics alone, and about $800 into the inlays, so my profit margin is very slim. But I am willing to do this build at such a low price because it is going to be an eye catcher and the type of work that I can really promote myself with. Some things go farther than money, and good publicity is one of them.

Thanks! Go for it mate. The guitars that people STILL talk about are the WOMD, Shark, and the white Mulitscale. You just have to have a guitar that speaks to people, and they will remember your name for a long time. Im lucky that Ive had a few guitars that people seem to be "fanatical" about, or at least very very fond of. I try and push every client's order in that direction, but it's hard. Most of the time the most popular guitars Ive built are the ones where I have no client "holding me back"...

But, it's going to be sooo much harder these days to achieve that. What with cnc inlays etc, the art of a handmade guitar is being lost. When I say that, I mean its much easier to design and execute an impressive "wow" type guitar on a computer, than it is to spend the man hours making it by hand. With ease comes more quantity. Wow factor is lost when you are competing against hundreds of other makers who can now build because of an automatic tool.

Thanks! Go for it mate. The guitars that people STILL talk about are the WOMD, Shark, and the white Mulitscale. You just have to have a guitar that speaks to people, and they will remember your name for a long time. Im lucky that Ive had a few guitars that people seem to be "fanatical" about, or at least very very fond of. I try and push every client's order in that direction, but it's hard. Most of the time the most popular guitars Ive built are the ones where I have no client "holding me back"...

But, it's going to be sooo much harder these days to achieve that. What with cnc inlays etc, the art of a handmade guitar is being lost. When I say that, I mean its much easier to design and execute an impressive "wow" type guitar on a computer, than it is to spend the man hours making it by hand. With ease comes more quantity. Wow factor is lost when you are competing against hundreds of other makers who can now build because of an automatic tool.

I agree %100.

This industry of boutique guitars is only recently starting to really grow and it's growing fast. If you want to stand out, you need to do much more than just make good guitars. As customers' options multiply, they have less and less reason to buy from you unless you're doing something they desperately want and can't get elsewhere.

yes no all of the above

its simply when someone is paying you to build them a guitar. they can supply the parts or have you source them they can be heavly involved in the design but sometimes they will just say something like "build me a lp" but basicaly you have a commission build and a spec build a spec build is a guitar you plan to sell but dont have a buyer for a commission build has a buyer form the begining.

yes no all of the above

its simply when someone is paying you to build them a guitar. they can supply the parts or have you source them they can be heavly involved in the design but sometimes they will just say something like "build me a lp" but basicaly you have a commission build and a spec build a spec build is a guitar you plan to sell but dont have a buyer for a commission build has a buyer form the begining.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you!!!!

Quoted from Perry:

"Most of the time the most popular guitars Ive built are the ones where I have no client "holding me back"...

I came into this guitar building thing with a background of being an Artist for most of my life. And like my art, my guitars are very personal. Its because of this I don't see myself doing a commission. When the customer likes a combination of elements that I disagree with, I cant see putting my all into it.

That being said, I plan to build what I think looks good and appeals to me, and hang in the home shop of course. If a friend stops by and likes what he sees then thats cool. A commission to me would take all the fun out of it and put pressure on me that I don't need.

PRESSURE = NO FUN

-Vinny

Quoted from Perry:

"Most of the time the most popular guitars Ive built are the ones where I have no client "holding me back"...

I came into this guitar building thing with a background of being an Artist for most of my life. And like my art, my guitars are very personal. Its because of this I don't see myself doing a commission. When the customer likes a combination of elements that I disagree with, I cant see putting my all into it. I do that in my 9-5 job solely for the paycheck it brings home.

That being said, I plan to build what I think looks good to hang in the home shop, If a friend stops by and likes what he sees then thats cool. A commission to me would take all the fun out of it and put pressure on me that I don't need.

PRESSURE = NO FUN

Well, I do my best work under pressure. That impossible deadline. The parts wont arrive until a day before the big gig. The pesky client that is extremely picky.

As for artistic satisfaction. Absolutely. I knock back at least a 1/3 of the commissions I get asked to do. I could sell a Polka Dot V every week. No doubt about it. Havent accepted an order for one for years. You'll notice Ive never done the same guitar twice (well, PDV excluded).

Not a single guitar goes out the door with any less than the majority of it my ideas, or input. Even if that means I have to throw a few freebies at the customer because they cant afford it. But Im not going to knock back a guitar order because I personally think the colour is a shade too dark.

There is certainly something to be said for being more open to repeating the same work, ramping up production, having less (or none) direct end user interaction, streamlining by way of easing the manufacturing process.... and sitting back counting the money on the third floor balcony of your river front mansion. I was very sceptical about retailing the pickups we do, and held off for a long time. I liked the idea that they would be real hard to get. Limited supply. In the end, we HAD to start selling them. Do I worry any more that I never got to meet one of the guys who purchased the 50 pickups we made last month? Nope. Does it feel nice to know we got a job done with zero client interaction, sales pitch, answering the same question a hundred times to thirty people, or any other crap like that? Yup. Does it feel even better to know those 50 pickups

Ive achieved way more than I thought I would, and Im only a short way into a long career. What next? Stability. I want to settle down and create a family. I want that house of the riverfront. Success, providing for my future, and leaving behind a legacy behind when Im gone is just as important to me as being artistic.

When its all said and done, i'd rather do what I do, than anything else in the world. Who wants to work an office job?

I recently took a commission I didn't like because I needed the money. Bad move. It took forever to finish because I was never satisfied with it and I'm still not. It was just all around unpleasant.

And I totally agree with you again, Perry (you are Perry, right?). I'm about to start selling pickups and I had the same issues as you about it. I find myself needing to put aside my wants sometimes and just doing what needs done. I might be a trained artist, but I still need to run this business like a business. I'd love to someday just make what I want and nothing else, but I'm definitely not there yet. That could just be a pipe dream too, but that's not going to keep me from working towards a goal like that.

BTW, after I got into this business I got noticeable tattoos on my arms just to burn my bridges in case I wanted to go the easy route and get a office type job. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. This way, they won't have anything to do with me... and the feeling is mutual.

A hand tat is coming next. Shirt sleeves are holding me back :D

Edited by NotYou

haha, i hear you about the tatts, same here.

For the record, Im buying a CNC this year, to ramp things up a bit (to start selling through shops finally). To counteract that, Im also starting a new series that will be ultra limited, totally handmade (as usual for me really), mega artsy, and high dollar. Maybe its a bit of yin and yang... go more arty and pricey, but also more "easily accessable" with some more standard stuff that is more affordable.

i got the visable tatt's - and i am a teacher. in this day and age there are less jobs blocked by them than there used to be.

I would have liked to push the guitar thing further but with a new wife and planning a family i really have to persue getting my teaching qualifications sorted. Been teaching 5 years as an unqualified and i love the job, and know i am good at it. I also know i am good at making guitars, but the way the custom guitar market is in the uk at the moment i am happy to not be reliant on it.

I want that house of the riverfront.

I'm going to call this "grass is always greener on the other side syndrome". A guy living right next to the beach and Ocean *dreams* of one day living on a river. :D

Earlier today, I took my dog for a walk with the biggest river in North America within view, but didn't feel like I was walking near anyone's dream location. Give me the Ocean beach, anyday.

I'll take the river that feeds into the ocean. Shade and good fishing, but still have the beach and the surf fishing. I don't need the mansion though, just lots of acreage for horses. Says the man who lives in the mountains.

I am all for the hand built work and would find it tough to do anything else. But if I get enough orders at a time and build up the funds to, I would invest in a laser to do inlays with. I find inlays the most time consuming, and generating them on the computer will allow me to do more intricate designs. Plus setting them into the wood would be faster and easier as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Im here because i love using my hands and building things.:D Building guitars lets me use my finer skills that i don't get to use everyday as a carpenter.So, if i get commisioned for a build it would be to cover parts and timber as everyone has already stated.

Ive been asked by a few friends to build for them but they are always down the pub instead of saving cash for a guitar. Lately been commissioned to build custom stompboxes for a couple local musicians, mainly channel switching and A/B/Y pedals etc. I make the housings out of timber and they're alot of fun. The guy liked it so much he payed me twice as much as what i asked,I just wanted to cover costs but he was rapt.

Perry, its awesome to see someone living their dream, You were nice enough to have helped me out with advice and parts before, so congrats mate.

The full time & professional builders i know vary between starting prices of £1200 up to £2500, again going much higher depending on spec

Also really depends on the luthier.

Not really necessary since it's about acoustics,

but i would like to make some jaws drop right now for those that didn't came across him so far:

Ervin Somogiy is at the moment not going to work for less than 26.000$ (USD),

tax and shipping not included as far as i know, you do the math.

But a stroll through the options list can raise the price quite considerably,

Tapered body - 1000$

Fanned frets - 1200$

French polish - 400$ per side

Now imagine how many hours you could spend and what amazing wood you could use for 26.000$

and still have a little bit left to live from.

I would be more than pleased if i ever would arrive at a point on which i could charge 2000$ for a instrument. :D

Edited by Xaromir