Doubleneck Finally Starting!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno. big roundovers make guitars look fat. Might be a bit much with a double neck. Mabe a very very shallow carve down to a small roundover ?

Just an opinion, But you know what they say about those :D

have faith man, if i am doing a big contour i usually end up hand carving till it looks right and i usually have it accenuating the shape by varying the size of the roundover in certain areas... rather than an even round over all the way round.

also, i reckon large roundovers dont have as much of a fattening effect on thin layered bodies like this - most alembics manage to pull it off

if i chamber this i will do it before glueing the top or back on, probably with channels rather than large chambers. but i may well forstener out some of the neck through, especially behind the bridge on the guitar and maybe some between the pickup and fretboard on the bass - just need to plan that carefully first

That's going to look good with all the laminates. What angle are you using to separate the necks?

dunno... just layed them out it looked right but i still want to change that once i have the actual necks further along and can feel it for real

• 1 month later...

necks are getting there

mock1-1.jpg

this isnt final layout by the way - the neck will be closer together and i still need to decide on an appropriate angle which is why i have the tuners on.

the body layers will be:

quilt maple top

wenge veneer

black limba centre

wenge veneer

Purpleheart back

This was the customers choice, i wasnt sure about the idea of a purpleheart back but i think it will work out nicely once sprayed with the (GOTM winning :D) blue, making the back of the wings quite dark overall... only one way to find out

necks are getting there

mock1-1.jpg

this isnt final layout by the way - the neck will be closer together and i still need to decide on an appropriate angle which is why i have the tuners on.

the body layers will be:

quilt maple top

wenge veneer

black limba centre

wenge veneer

Purpleheart back

This was the customers choice, i wasnt sure about the idea of a purpleheart back but i think it will work out nicely once sprayed with the (GOTM winning :D) blue, making the back of the wings quite dark overall... only one way to find out

Looking good, I like it.

It's funny that Matt said that. Out of all the things to like about the build so far, I was think that the 12 string neck has one crackin' headstock!

Look forward to more progress on this one.

Thanx for the help on the 12 string question, Wez. Your thoughts echo'd mine. 12 string bridge arrived about an hour ago so I can finally lay this thing out after going to London and doing battle with militant poofs.

Cheers

B

glad you like it, its taken me ages to get a headstock shape i am happy with

needed to be relatively compact but still functional with minimal string contact issues. obviously i have been looking at a lot of old alembics and early bc rich stuff for inspiration

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

slow moving on this one but its just come out of the clamps and is finally all one peice!

1piece.jpg

weight at this stage is 9 1/2 lbs. I still need to route the cetral control cavity and do a lot of carving so i think it will shave another pound off at least - if it comes in under 14 lbs i will be very happy - at the moment it looks like it will be more like 12 which is great!

• 3 months later...