Second Build - "the Wol"

Love the fretboard; body is spooky though. I seem to remember a post from the past where you mentioned a friend that shared your unique sense of humor. I'm guessing that is who this is for. Should be entertaining to see the "mystery" cleared up later on.

SR

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the fretboard; body is spooky though. I seem to remember a post from the past where you mentioned a friend that shared your unique sense of humor. I'm guessing that is who this is for. Should be entertaining to see the "mystery" cleared up later on.

SR

yup, this is his 30th birthday present. if i get it finished in time for his visit.

as far as I know - I don't remember having seen it elsewhere. Tho there's never anything new in guitar design, right?

I think I saw it here on PG somewhere... anyways I was thinking about using them too :D

here... http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=457462 ???

Aaaaahm :D

would you mind if those appeared on my fingerboard too? B)

not in the slightest. Until I make it big as a guitar maker, at which point I'll sue.

the grain runs parallel to the neck. the figure is perpendicular to the neck.

I think.

EDIT: on closer inspection, I have actually managed to get the grain in the maple piece running perpendicular to the length of the neck.

sooo.... how fatal a problem is that? is it going to fall apart as soon as there's string tension? or is it just more liable to break if dropped?

so is this an "oh ****!!!" moment?

Oh yeah, that qualifies for sure!

Buuut... it's maple and you could leave the fretboard a little thick. Probably would be ok but I wouldn't expect it to survive much abuse. While checking out the pics looking for the grain I did notice one thing though...

38348_417570367166_560627166_5090229_4887676_n.jpg

If you look close you can see it right there above the volute in your pic. It appears it may even be pluggd in, which would be a really good thing right about now :D

best idea i reckon! if you want a learning experience you can try to take it apart as carefully as possible. obviously you can save the truss rod but you may also get the fretboard off in a usable condition. at that stage you could probably slice out the bad splice and save most of what you have.... good experience for repairing severe neck breaks

best idea i reckon! if you want a learning experience you can try to take it apart as carefully as possible. obviously you can save the truss rod but you may also get the fretboard off in a usable condition. at that stage you could probably slice out the bad splice and save most of what you have.... good experience for repairing severe neck breaks

i think i'll just start from scratch.

the TR route wasn't as clean as I would have liked anyway, nor the fret markers. I'll def pull the TR out and reuse it at least.

good opportunity to do over, take my time, do everything more carefully and aim to make the build a lot cleaner and more professional.

might try a laminate neck as well - thinking maple, paduak and bubinga for some nice color variation - unless there's some reason those combos wouldn't work (I'm VERY paranoid now!!)

PS thanks to Wez for spotting this and pointing it out before I got any further in the build.

Stuff like that which is obvious to more experienced hands, and completely NOT obvious to noobs like me is precisely why I post on these forums, and precisely why they're so useful. i'm even finding I now have some advice to contribute to others at the very noob stages, and I think it's great that people can pass on their knowledge like this.

Thanks Wez!

might try a laminate neck as well - thinking maple, paduak and bubinga for some nice color variation - unless there's some reason those combos wouldn't work (I'm VERY paranoid now!!)

Seriously tho, any reason I shouldn't use those woods together?

They are fine. Don't be paranoid. Experience is a tough teacher but you don't forget the lessons. Especially woodworking 101 lessons like grain orientation.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about the types of wood and focus on the wood working :D

You can build guitars out of about anything when your woodworking skills are good enough.

yeah, those woods all make nice necks

you may as well test that join to beaking point now - just to convince yourself of the importance of grain direction. and because i want to see if i guessed its breaking point right (3rd fret marker) :D