Pictures of the next bass

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?????????????????????? ***!!!! really??? where can i get one? and tell me they are under 100!

Look here :D. Search for optical.

yes i'm positive i saw a different system, it looks like a hardtail with saddles, but you can see the lasers, its really cool.

much beter aesthetically i think too.

but i'd have to play one to be convinced this is better than conventional magnetic pickups..... to me, all this stuff is taking the soul out of the guitar sound... the search for 'perfect clean sound' will just lead to the point where we're gonna have sterile computer generated tones.... not good.

but anyway.....

shoudl be interesting how this bass turns out to say the least!

(subtlely "un-hijacking" thread...) Hey, Basey, what kind of optical pickup? Enquiring minds want to know - and how much, from whom, what's it sound like, etc. Really classy body shape BTW, how does it balance out? My experience with singlecuts is that most are neck-heavy, but I sure do like the look. I've always wanted a fretless singlecut, you might just have shamed me into making one :D

hi, I've been busy around the house today.

Lovecraft: The optical system I'm planning on is the lightwave 5string setup.

Its about $450US dollars. I know it sounds like alot, but when you figure in everything that it replaces, it's really not that much....bridge, preamp, pickups, not to mention jacks and knobs. He**, a good 5string bridge will cost well over $100 alone. I've played one bass with the lighwave system on it and it sounded amazing! A lot lower and higher bass response. I've got a 1980's spector with a bartolini p and j setup and 18v preamp, and it sounds almost passive compared to the lightwave bass. The only problem I can see happening is the new bass not turning out to be worthy of that kind of investment. but, (nock on wood) things seem to be working out so far. :D

BTW I think I've come up with a idea for the stain. One of our cats, Tigger , has past away over to weekend from something called FIP. I think I'm going to stain the top orangish-brown, like him, as a tribute. "The Tigger-burst". I know thats a little corny but WTH, he was a very cool cat.

Then I can just concentrate the carriburst after this bass.

kinda like this one but with a black stain to bring out the figuring.

roman.JPG

Here a few for progress pics.

the first ones a picture of the front with the neck rough cut and top wing clamped on while the glue dries.

topwingon.jpg

this next on is a picture of the back. I cut back the throughneck and laminated it with walnut to match the wings.

topwingonback.jpg

I dont know if you can tell by the picture but the wing is angled towards the back.

This should make the body curve around the players body after shaping. (I hope)

:D

More progress :D

I found a sanding flapper disk for my grinder and it made quick work of the body.

The first pic is a picture of the bass before I put on the flame top.

full3.jpg

the second is a picture of the end of the body, from the top.

I love how the laminated neck shows at the end.

full1.jpg

And the third is of the end of the body back.

full2.jpg

Hopefully I will get the templates for the bridge soon.

Thanks for all the nice comments :D

I've made a little more progress today.

the top is on and I've shaped the back a little

The first pic a of the front edge of the bass.

fullwithtop.jpg

this on is of the side profile of the body.

fullwithtopside.jpg

the last one is of the back edge of the bass

fullwithtopback.jpg

I've got a 1/16th inch seam next to the fretboard on the top.

I was wondering if anybody knows how to fill it and still be able to stain the wood?

OMFG! that's is so beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...