Project: Super-thin

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The brand-spanking-new pickups, along with the body, neck, and p/g blank. The pups are short blade HBs mounted in jazzmaster covers.

wip37.jpg

"I need to do some cutting and routing, but first I need a template" he said, turning towards his beloved scrollsaw. Minutes later....

wip38.jpg

And so here we have the pickguard template with pups & electronics in place.

wip39.jpg

And a view of the back.

wip40.jpg

i like the coloured potting and that pickup shape will add an individual look!

needs a better bridge though - really dont like those particular top loaders

+1 on both points.

Those bridges can be had for $8 and they're structurally sound enough, but for the same price these ones: http://cgi.ebay.com/HARDTAIL-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BRIDGE-CHROME-top-mount-/190502767699?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c5ad98c53 look much nicer.

I agree that, while this one is serviceable, the bridge could use an upgrade. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with this one, but a Gotoh would certainly be better.

I've bought hardware from Bezdez before; it's all low end junk. I still use them for bindings and the occasional inlay, but not for anything else anymore.

I don't comment much in the in progress section, although I watch a lot (I'm an in-progress-lurker). This looks great John! Classy, new and still with a classic vibe to it. The body shape goes extremely well with the head stock shape and the colors work really great together (turquoise body, white pg, chrome parts). Everything looks clean and well executed. My only reservation is that maybe white pups would have looked even better. And possible tele-style chromed dome knobs. Or maybe not. Just cut and shape that pg and let us see how it looks!

My absolute favorite top-loader is the ABM ABM Chrome Non-Tremolo

Serviceable replacement is the Schaller

If the guitar turns out as good as it looks like it is it would be worth the investment for the upgrade.

I think I can get those covers in white....but can't say that I agree on white over black.

Serviceable replacement is the Schaller

i like the schaller - but like kahlers they should really make it clearer that the saddles need to be raised a fair bit to get the most out of the bridge... i had one of those schaller's set relatively low (not bottomed out) and had some problems with the strings popping out of the roller - then having to reposition the roller to get string spacing correct again!! just not enough downward pressure on the saddle if its left in the lower 3rd of its adjustment range

If I was going to spend that much on a bridge, I'd get a Kahler.

Great idea. I like the Kahler fixed bridge over the Schaller... just forgot about it.

I can get a kahler fixed or a trem for you... just let me know when you are ready.

At the point I'm at in the "finish it up" stage, I can say conclusively that this would have worked MUCH better as a neck-through.

Why?

I can get new Kahler fixed bridges on eBay for around $95-$110. Is that the normal retail price?

Why is because of the way I did the neck pocket. It's 100% design and nothing else. I only have about 2" of glue space on the heel. Had I extended a small ledge from the body everything would have been fine. I suppose I COULD use some 1" wood screws and bolt it on with washers instead of ferrules. Thinking about it for a minute, I think that's what I'll do. Lemme think about it for a bit.

I can get new Kahler fixed bridges on eBay for around $95-$110. Is that the normal retail price?

Why is because of the way I did the neck pocket. It's 100% design and nothing else. I only have about 2" of glue space on the heel. Had I extended a small ledge from the body everything would have been fine. I suppose I COULD use some 1" wood screws and bolt it on with washers instead of ferrules. Thinking about it for a minute, I think that's what I'll do. Lemme think about it for a bit.

OK. that makes sense. As for the Kahlers that is a good price for them. But just email me on the Kahler fixed bridges :D.

So somehow I got involved in this project... honestly I love a good challenge. I was designing a new blade pickup anyway and I thought it could be used here. The hardest part of this was finding the covers. John graciously let me post to his build thread. This is a repost of how I did it.

New blade humbuckers. I am working on a low profile design and a regular sized cast design that will use the same coils. Current prototype is about 7/16" thick to the top of the bobbins. On the first one I stuck the blades up 1/16" but they could be cut flush with the top of the bobbin if necessary.

PC310003.jpg

PC310004.jpg

The base plate is just so I can test the design without casting it into epoxy. The possibilities are endless with this design. Uses a standard HB magnet so I can go any type I want.

PC310005.jpg

PC310006.jpg

Next project is finishing up the blade pickup prototypes. I used an EMG style housing and was planning on using casting epoxy. However the directions were very indepth with measurements and stiring and tranfering and ... well these are prototypes so I decided on an easy route. 5-min epoxy like so -

P2070330.jpg

P2070331.jpg

P2070332.jpg

P2070335.jpg

Getting ahead of myself here is a surface mount blade. I colored the epoxy this time blue. It felt like the color of a neck pickup...

P2080347.jpg

Starting on the bridge pickup. Here is the potted "core" of the pickup. I potted the coils with wax. I think on later models I am going to pot the whole core with wax. This will allow them to be taken apart as the epoxy will not adhere to the core.

P2080348.jpg

Lastly position the lead so it comes out straight (as possible) and let them cure. I didn't experience large amounts of heat from this process but I was not using a lot of epoxy. I have heard that when you use a lot of 5-min it gets pretty hot so most guys use 30-min for this stuff.

P2080364.jpg

P2080365.jpg

P2080366.jpg

And that is it for my contribution!