Black Limba Js

andyt

Nice to see somebody else doin a JS. :D

I have a nice piece of Limba set aside for one for myself, all one piece hopefully. Neck, body & headstock all cut & shaped from a single block. only glue joint is the fret board.

But as usual I never seem to have the time to do any work on it :D

This one should come out sweet. the grain should look realy good with the carve.

Padauk is fine for a fretboard, Ive played a few factory guitars withh Paddy FB's. I would guess the sapwood would be ok structurally, but I have not used any yet myself. I have tried finishing some sapwood and it does get a dirty kind of tint in the finish. You may want to do a test on some scrap if you have some.

I've always heard Black Limba was a PITA as a fretboard due to its brittle/chippy nature. You seem to have proven otherwise. How would you rate your fretting experience with Black Limba, and how would you rate it as a fretboard?

The board is paduak, though i could see how you'd get it confused. The light part is the same color pretty much.

Looks really nice. I love limba so much.

• 1 month later...
I've always heard Black Limba was a PITA as a fretboard due to its brittle/chippy nature. You seem to have proven otherwise. How would you rate your fretting experience with Black Limba, and how would you rate it as a fretboard?

The 'it's Padauk' angle has been answered, but let's get back to the 'brittle chippy nature' of limba (white or black)- not any of the stuff I've got. It cuts and planes like butter (like a good south american mahogany, only more so), easy to smooth, easy to carve, beautiful to look at and work with. One of my favourite woods. Too soft for a fingerboard, but a fantastic wood for necks, bodies, backs and sides.

• 2 months later...

this has been sitting around doing not a lot. Redid the fretboard as the first finishing attempt using oil left massive black dirty marks under the frets, tried sanding the board down but got too thin so replaced it. Coated it in CA this time, tru oil on the rest of the neck & body, still got a few coats to go but strung it up the other day.

limbajs26.jpg

limbajs25.jpg

limbajs24.jpg

limbajs23.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finially got round to finishing this up.

frotsmalljs.jpg

Stuck a Sustainer in there for a laugh. Wasn't sure what to do on the headstock as the flame maple looked a bit out of place, so did some creative dyeing to try & match the board.

backsmalljs.jpg

Was going to make plastic covers but had some limba from a uke kit, so tried to make it match up a bit. The trem cover was as wide as the piece was hence the gap. Also made a little sight glass for the Sustainer LED from a toy watch.

frontsmalljs1.jpg

The body blank was slightly thinner than standard and right on the limit for a trem, but is very resonant