Yes Its Buggered... But Its A F**cking John Birch!

WezV

i may be crazy for bidding on this but i know i can fix the issues it has

B51PplBmkKGrHqEOKjsEyLopRozzBMvJRpjfOg_12.jpg

B533JgEGkKGrHqIOKiQEy3Pw5UMiBMvTWB4u_12.jpg

B51QPswBmkKGrHqEOKjcEyZzwOdoBMvJSyQQ_12.jpg

B51QiEWkKGrHqUOKj0EyQjzoP2hBMvJTqB62_12.jpg

B51P9SWkKGrHqMOKiEEyVLYHZuBMvJSWM2LQ_12.jpg

B53qgWkKGrHqUOKkUEyslgtZyeBMvTUTCuHw_12.jpg

yes, the body is split. yes, its rather messed up.... but nothing that isnt a rather easy repair

best case:

fix structural issues and its playable

worst case:

fix structural issues ans refinish and make it playable.. and maybe need some original pickups too ( or modern jaydee remakes of JB pickups)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's a UK vs USA thing, but what's so special about John Birch?

the first custom guitar maker in the UK. (+1). lived in the midlands of the uk (+1). made Tony Iommi's early guitars with John Diggins ( from Jaydee guitars). Made guitars for every british guitar hero in the70's & 80's (+1)

basically when i was learning to make guitars the stories of john birch and john diggins making super famous guitars on their kitchen table gave me a bit of hope. I have actually fixed a few JB's along the way... and built an SG that stole a lot of influence from JB.

you could just say john birch was THE guitar builder in the 70's... adn one of two massively influencly guitar builders i focus on... zemaitis being the other (why have i been playing with ageing metal if not for a complete metal top)

it doesnt mean i dont want o push guitar design forward - but i love the past

so john, whats your feellings on black sabbath?

They're good. After Dio they weren't worth a crap though. Paranoid is a classic album that should be in everyone's collection. They're a band that I like, but not enough to get all of the albums. I'd rather cherry-pick their catalog.

Iommi isn't very much of a technical player, but he's very under-rated for what he's good at. He came up with hook after hook. A complete riff-master.

Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?

just because john birch and john diggins are responsible for a lot of Iommi's tone. john birch SG's are impossible to get... so i had to settle for a messed up LP style

in the short term i may add RAD's diablo set to this but longer term i really need to find some of those original pickups

That's one huge plastic backplate and a ton of controls for a 2 pickup guitar. That neck joint is pretty sick looking though. I love Sycamore guitars. Would've bought a flame sycamore acoustic but the acoustics were extremely outdated. Sounded great unplugged though. How much did this thing cost?

£385. which i think is reasonable compared to the price gibsons in a similar condition go for

john birches always have a lot of controls. its basic les paul wiring with a master volume added near the bridge. the other pot is a rotary for selecting mono/stereo operation and phase... not sure what the extra switch will be - not all of them had it

Maybe it's a UK vs USA thing, but what's so special about John Birch?

the first custom guitar maker in the UK. (+1). lived in the midlands of the uk (+1). made Tony Iommi's early guitars with John Diggins ( from Jaydee guitars). Made guitars for every british guitar hero in the70's & 80's (+1)

basically when i was learning to make guitars the stories of john birch and john diggins making super famous guitars on their kitchen table gave me a bit of hope. I have actually fixed a few JB's along the way... and built an SG that stole a lot of influence from JB.

you could just say john birch was THE guitar builder in the 70's... adn one of two massively influencly guitar builders i focus on... zemaitis being the other (why have i been playing with ageing metal if not for a complete metal top)

it doesnt mean i dont want o push guitar design forward - but i love the past

John also made a Red Special copy for Brian May, which didn't actually look very much like the RS. Brian "smashed it in an uncharacteristic fit of pique" as he didn't like the sound of it.

Wez that is one huge resto job. Did you get it?

I would love to see this one fixed up and sport a set of Diablos. Birch is a hero of mine... it would be so cool to own one of his guitars.

You are probably going to have to score a real set of Birch pickups for it. If you score a broken set I can try to fix them but if I am not mistaken most of his pickups are epoxy potted making them very difficult to repair.

yeah, should be with me in a week or so

I am going to look for some original pickups (have a few sources)... but it will come down to price

John diggins still makes pickups like the originals for his oldboy replicas so i may be able to get a set from him

jaydee-1-1.jpg

page13.jpg

but I was referring to the guitarist as much as the guitar.

I must admit when you first said it doesn't get much more glam I took that as a challenge so I went searching.I knew tyou meant the guy...but I must admit defeat..

Back then even Satriani was fairly glam

satriani-surfing.jpg

Just take a look at Kerry King then VS now

mdimage_1_98_0_5.jpg

MAMLH2203KK-1.jpg

But I must admit..I have found nothing more glam than that dude

but I was referring to the guitarist as much as the guitar.

I must admit when you first said it doesn't get much more glam I took that as a challenge so I went searching.I knew tyou meant the guy...but I must admit defeat..

But I must admit..I have found nothing more glam than that dude

ok thats a challenge

Mick was pretty glam

Glam-Rock_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Glen Buxton and Michael Bruce were there

Alice-Cooper-the-king-of-Shock-Rock.jpg

Brian said 'I've just discovered a new constellation, but I'm still pretty f**king glam

3285805.jpg

ok no idea who these guys are

kennyfancypants.jpg

woah we might have a winner

jh_pic_090405_GlamRock.jpg

nah, remember seeing an interview with Dave, said he had to do something to compete with noddy's voice

slade.jpg

yeah, should be with me in a week or so

I am going to look for some original pickups (have a few sources)... but it will come down to price

John diggins still makes pickups like the originals for his oldboy replicas so i may be able to get a set from him

Diggins would be the best source.

The problem I have doing exact copies of the Birch pickups are the magnets and the covers. It would take a lot of work to find a source for the covers. It is not like my suppliers have them. As for the Samarium Cobalt magnets... that is a serious investment as I would have to order them custom in a quantity I couldn't use in 20 years.

On a last note Birch uses really thin wire (AFAIK it was 46 awg) that is very difficult to work with.

That being said I have had some success with substitute parts. Gibson's Iommi pickup is not a physical copy of a Birch/Diggins but a tonal clone and that I can manage for less investment.