Yes Its Buggered... But Its A F**cking John Birch!

WezV

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thx - i will keep an eye on that!

edit:

this line of teh auction made me laugh

"JB Pickups are pretty rare" - yes

"but finding one hand-engraved and 'hand-signed' by John is a real find!" - no harder than finding one in the first place. finding an un-engraved one from john birch would be much rarer!

John apparently liked to put his name on everything - he even used to put his own name on stuff he modified or repaired.

Its here... and it sounds pretty damn sweet - a lot better than i expected actually. the pickups are old dimarzios with no model codes stamped on the back like i think they have now

Splits are rather serious as they go all the way through and its basically just the jack and back plate holding it together - but i dont mind that as it makes for an easier reglue

pics:

JB8.jpg

JB6.jpg

JB5.jpg

JB4.jpg

JB3.jpg

JB2.jpg

Jb1.jpg

also, its all maple. john claimed to be using rock maple but i am sure i remember suggestions that it was more likely sycamore. The wood was all sourced from bannister material and john did not believe wood was tonally important - all about his pickups as far as he was concerned.

The all maple construction is why i was unsure this would work for me tonally.... but its actually pretty well balanced. I would describe it as lively and responsive, but i wouldnt call it bright

the wiring has officially got me confused!

looks like the rotary is not doing any mono/stereo operation as would be normal.

Seems to me like it gives

1. Bridge wired normal, neck wired in reverse (out of phase)

2. Bridge wired in reverse, neck wired normal (out of phase)

3. Bridge and neck wired normally (in phase)

God knows whats going on with those tone pots!

Seems like the mini toggle is supposed to be doing the mono/stereo bit

I have contacted Alan Exley but he hasnt got any pickups available, does have original routing patterns for them though if i manage to get a set and need to plug and re-route cavities.

he also explained the thinking with the tone controls:

"the idea was, one way was treble cut & the other way was bass cut. so you could get a good tonal sweep, but in my way of thinking, I think this is a bad idea, cause it made the pick ups sound slightly dull & with less power, but the tone controls seem to be wired up incorrectly anyway. "

i have just had a little play with the wiring and it does seem to be all working. although as alan points out, the tone controls may be wired incorrectly. To me they are oddly placed in the circuit with the signal having to go through them before reaching the volume