Yes Its Buggered... But Its A F**cking John Birch!

WezV

gretsch pickups do sound pretty good, especially the TV jones variety.

the look would certainly be close - especially a supertron in the bridge

i dunno though, i dont think the look or sounds would be quite right for this.

Most filtertrons and the variants used 42 or 43 gauge depending on how hot they were wired. They are pretty standard fare (i have very detailed construction notes if you are interested) with ceramic, alnico 4, or 5 magnets.

Not the right application here IMHO. Maybe if we took one and jacked it up with a SmCo or A8 mag and rewired it with 44 or 45 to be about 18K+ then we would get close. I think the vintage dimarzios are better suited this project.

An hot (20K) HB with dual wound coils and 8 leads is what he is after... or just find a set of Magnums and call it a day.

Wez,

Did they route the HB holes bigger to accommodated the Dimarzios?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they route the HB holes bigger to accommodated the Dimarzios?

yeah, ever so slightly. i think it would still look fine with original pickups and slightly widened rings.

I was speaking to one of my customers yesterday who had one restored after it had been routed for humbuckers. He had a maple plug put between neck and bridge so it could be refinished and look stock. but the routes in mine are no more than 3mm wider than stock so i wouldnt be surprised if normal john birch rings just covered it, the new rings may not need to be that much wider than stock

still waiting to hear from john diggins about some hyperflux replicas. He is most likely the guy that did all the actual woodwork on this guitar. If that isnt feasable the dimarzios can stay

starting to prep for the reglue. Since i had to remove the controls to make the fix easy i decided to completely strip all parts off to see is there were any surprises to be had. took a load of photos too - all here:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV...ch%20singlecut/

but some highlights:

jb21.jpg

jb22.jpg

jb23.jpg

jb24.jpg

the splits open up nicely, fit back together well and are nice clean maple inside - the best situation for a reglue.

Notice the finish is really thick. its really going to highlight the location of the splits even when re-glued. making me lean towards the refinish, should be able to get the splits invisible!

bridge pickup is 13.23k, neck is 7.89k - pretty much confirming they are an old Dimarzio super distortion/Paf set with rectangular feet

that can happen - but i doubt its the case here because the guitar is probably just over 30 years old (best i can pin down is late 70's)... and if it split as drying it would have happened in the first few years the inside of the splits owuld be much dirtier

also, Birch made a big deal about using kiln dried rock maple in his advertising... what he didnt say was that he got his wood from the local joiners bannister stock and they happened to have a kiln for drying wood.

all signs point towards massive impact and the shock followed the grain. this is why i was amazed when i strung it up and it was playable. the fact it played well with a really low buzz free action practically floored me

the large cavity definately helped the split travel further through the body - but i see no evidence of any tension/humidity related splitting. clearly a split will follow the weakest point, which is why they normally end up going down grainlines... but if that split releases internal tension in the wood they wont go back together cleanly without a little force

7even X² - thx. its been linked to twice in the thread already though :D I was tempted but i think it went for a bit too much, definately more than i can afford to be paying for each pickup - at that price i would rather keeep the old dimarzios in it!

Maybe it cracked when the previous owner while in his VIntage Mick Ronson platform boots tripped on his vintage dallas arbiter, stumbled and fell into his vintage real to real tape loop and almost dropped his vintage John Birch guitar. Setting it on his vintage stand happy he did not drop the guitar it fell off the stand when he turned around and his vintage Sparkly cape caught one of the many superfluous vintage tweaking knobs and yanked the axe onto its cable jack, splitting it right through its overly large electronics cavity.

I am just saying.... :D

i am now pondering on the curly lead thing.

Is it coincidence that these guitars were most popular in the age of the curly lead... leads that are known for their treble roll off effect.

Now i dont find the solid maple too bright with the current pickups, but i do worry that it could be with an (expensive) original set - maybe a curly lead would be a solution ???

also it has 250k pots with the humbuckers - so that would have a slight taming affect on the highs.