Drak - Coco-loco

Drak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they were taken afterwards.

The problems were:

1. A bit of overspray onto the face where the tape lifted a little bit that had to be scraped back to a clean line

2. A small piece of paint wasn't 100% dry when I pulled tape and it 'drooped' onto the black, which cleaned up quick.

These pics were taken from about 4 inches away, very up close and personal.

At normal viewing distance, I can't see any issues I would have a problem with, YMMV. :D

I meant absolutely no harm from the last post

I didn't remotely think you did.

I have a great respect for people who repair guitars for a living.

It's an entirely different ballgame than building guitars as a hobby

and calls for talents I don't have and maybe never will.

So there. :D

• 3 months later...

I call this the 'Shinedown' phase, as the lacquer that looked great

is now getting the process that will take it to perfect mirror-flat shine.

In the third (last) pic, you can see the shiny/flat areas where the Micro-Mesh is starting to perfectly level out the finish.

I did chip those damn TOM holes a bit, but nothing the lips of the stud won't cover.

Coco-Loco100.jpg

Coco-Loco101.jpg

Coco-Loco103.jpg

Thanks Chris :D .

The original pickup layout was going to be an EMG job, 2 SA's and an 85 in the bridge, and you will see that in a few pics, but I decided the white just didn't cut it and have since swapped them out.

Anyway, here's another cool little trick. I CYA glue the springs to the bottoms of the pickups.

No biggie either, as when I removed the SA's, I also removed the springs for use on the next pickups.

Gluing the springs on sure makes it a hella lot easier to get them installed, and it really just a drop, maybe not even a full drop of glue holding them on there...

Anyway, on with the show...

Coco-Loco116.jpg

Coco-Loco118.jpg

Coco-Loco122.jpg

So we went from this...to the next try. Different pickups, different bridge, different knobs, different look!

Still not happy yet.

Those were two lace Hot Golds with a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the bridge.

Interesting, but still not there yet.

Coco-Loco129.jpg

Coco-Loco130.jpg

Coco-Loco132.jpg

Coco-Loco133.jpg

Very cool Drak! That top reminds me of mine but richer colours. I like the black S/C's but the gold isn't quite there...what about a black cover h/b bridge p/up with gold slugs? Can ya even get gold slugs? hmmmm.....Looking good anyway!

Chad.

Well, money's tight right now, and I have a drawer overflowing with pickups, so my deal to myself is that I have to find something here that I already have that will satisfy the requirement.

I'm not done yet, and actually, the damn thing looks much nicer in person than it does in the pics, I'll try to get a shot of it in the sun if the sun should so cooperate in the next few days.

I was dissapointed in the EMG thing, I really wanted that to do the trick, and yes, I also thought that Creme would be the ticket, but alas, no Creme pickups to be found in the pickup drawer. :D

I have several Bardens that would work, and they would most likely sound fabulous in this guitar (softer woods) but from a design standpoint, I wanted to stay away from any Blade style pickups as the Rosewood sort of goes up and down, and blades go across, sort of a design clash I think I want to avoid.

I was considering a black cover HB like a Drop and Gain or a Hemi or something Lace-oriented, but damn, no Lace HB's in the drawer! Haha!

Thanks!

Haven't you mentioned painting pickups or pickup covers before?

That is so hilarious you mentioned that.

I did a quick thread on spraying a Telecaster baseplate a few months ago, and last night right before I went to bed, the same thought hit me, to airbrush the covers.

Now I'm just thinking of different designs and what I would like best, but yes, that's the direction I might be headed with the EMG's.

Funny you brought that up!