Bubinga Mini Lp-ish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh,I guess I should mention in case someone doesn't know.I am gluing with epoxy and I just shift the body towards the edge of the table until the neck reaches the correct angle(using the bridge and a straight edge to make sure),then I apply the glue and push in the neck,double checking the angle and pushing the neck down by hand to get the right squeeze out,then I just set the radius block and kettlebell on it to hold it in place and keep it from lifting...just in case someone thought I just set the weight on and hoped for the best... :D

i am not sure about the mini Lp shape yet* - but that side view looks pretty sleek

* i think its because the shape is pretty retro, almost like some of the early LP copies. actually its probably more of a small gretch singlecut than a les paul - maybe more hagstrom like... anyway - its making me think of some of my favorite quirky retro designs - which doesnt yet match with the rest of the spec for me

Slow down there, fella. Rewind just a bit.

This neck setting technique of yours, can you try rewording it so my feeble mind can understand it, please?

As near as I can tell you're using epoxy as an adhesive and using it to form a wedge to give you the exact angle you want. Am I correct?

I'm seeing how this can work, and liking it. Please go over the moving the body nearer the table edge to give you the angle you want as that is the part that is slightly confusing me. Does adding the weight not throw everything out of whack and give you a mis-set neck? Neck angle clamping jig... Classic!

I normally only make neck through guitars but, as you all know, you end up with a massive offcut. I've got loads of offcuts that need to become guitar necks (and one that is going to become another neck through for playing while I'm in my office). In fact, in the pup ring thread, the LP I posted has a neck made from the offcut of the other guitar I posted.

Cheers

Buter

Slow down there, fella. Rewind just a bit.

This neck setting technique of yours, can you try rewording it so my feeble mind can understand it, please?

As near as I can tell you're using epoxy as an adhesive and using it to form a wedge to give you the exact angle you want. Am I correct?

No..actually I guess I mis-worded it..the pocket is routed at an angle(already preset to get the bridge height right),I just move the body the correct distance away from the edge of the table to hold the neck flat against the bottom of the pocket so that the thick epoxy won't cause me to get off on the angle.I put a towel down to keep the edge of the table from marking the neck where it touches.The weight of the kettlebell doesn't move it because the table top is very rigid underneath the body.

I don't think it is the best way,but it works for me because it allows me to run a straightedge up both sides of the neck into the bridge so that I can be sure that it is pointed in the right direction.

What you mention though would work,and to be honest I believe alot of guitar makers do that...I have done it before when I messed up a neck pocket,but unless the back of the pocket is straight it will be visible..

I normally only make neck through guitars but, as you all know, you end up with a massive offcut. I've got loads of offcuts that need to become guitar necks (and one that is going to become another neck through for playing while I'm in my office). In fact, in the pup ring thread, the LP I posted has a neck made from the offcut of the other guitar I posted.

That is why I started making set necks to begin with,and now I love them.

which doesnt yet match with the rest of the spec for me

I know exactly what you mean...I hope it pulls together visually at the end though...I think it will.

OK. I got ya now. Not what I was originally thinking, but certainly viable.

Since I posted the questions I've been out in my new utility room and wetroom putting a coat of primer on the new plaster (loads of fun at 1 am) and thinking about using a thickened epoxy to form a perfect pocket for a set neck. I think that if you use a high density filler you would get a join that was only second to a through neck (trying not to start the bolt vs. set vs. through argument).

unless the back of the pocket is straight it will be visible..

I dunno. If the front of the neck pocket is perpendicular to the centerline and used as a pivot point you could be on to a winner. You would just need to ensure that your neck angle was equal to or greater than the angle routed in the body for the neck join (if only I could find some kind of formula to calculate a required neck angle...).

As you said, though, you've got the tools out to do the job, may as well just rout the correct angle in the neck pocket in the first place. Definitely a good technique for fine tuning/fook up fixing, though.

Cheers

Buter

That is why I started making set necks to begin with,and now I love them.

+1 Love Set necks (hate screws... unless you are a working musician then they make sense). Long live the set neck. All the fun of a neck-through without a large piece of maple in the middle of your mahogany!

As an aside,I used the entire .7 oz bottle of medium CA so I ordered more,but I thought to check Amazon,and found 4 oz bottles of CA from Rockler at $11...to get the same amount from stewmac would cost me $30...so yeah..I ordered the Rockler... :D

I realize for most guys 4 oz would be a lot,but if you use it for sealing you run through it pretty quick...between this one,the explorer coming up,and the ash lp,I expect to use it all. :D

As an aside,I used the entire .7 oz bottle of medium CA so I ordered more,but I thought to check Amazon,and found 4 oz bottles of CA from Rockler at $11...to get the same amount from stewmac would cost me $30...so yeah..I ordered the Rockler... :D

I realize for most guys 4 oz would be a lot,but if you use it for sealing you run through it pretty quick...between this one,the explorer coming up,and the ash lp,I expect to use it all. :D

Rockler huh? Thanks for posting that. I went through nearly 10 oz on the bear. I needs some more.

SR

Rockler huh? Thanks for posting that. I went through nearly 10 oz on the bear. I needs some more.

SR

yeah, but that bear was awesome!

That pink paper is throwing it for me I think. If you have any off cuts of that bubinga, you might consider a test run. Make your inlay and carve the topknot but don't glue in the MOP. Oil the bubinga so it looks like it would finished and then see what you think. You could even band saw your off cut to your head stock shape and then slice it thin and lay it on your HS to get a better idea. I think I would bring it down closer to your TR cover though.

SR

As an aside,I used the entire .7 oz bottle of medium CA so I ordered more,but I thought to check Amazon,and found 4 oz bottles of CA from Rockler at $11...to get the same amount from stewmac would cost me $30...so yeah..I ordered the Rockler... B)

SR

10oz huh? So thats why the bear looked so happy, He was STONED OUTA HIS MIND !!!!!! :D

CA fumes are great fun, even in decent ventilation B)

It took 6 months to go through that. Some of those cracks were 20 inches deep; they took a bit of filling.

So thats why the bear looked so happy, He was STONED OUTA HIS MIND !!!!!!

Well.....yeah, plus the blues and the beer. It doesna do to keep an unhappy bear in your garage. :D

SR

....back to the mini LP-ish masterpiece....

i dont like it but didnt want to say anything. It would work on a themed guitar of some sort but would throw of the aesthetics of this

if you want something that isnt a logo but fills space where one would be have a look at pukko's recent V build... little more than a simple elegant swirl - but it works