Interesting Idea

WezV

i dunno. it doesnt sound like they tracked down the reasons for its tuning being so poor to me... would there have been a simpler solution that also kept the guitar in more original condition?

i have lost count of the number of 'unusable' guitars that involved a few simple (or not so simple) fixes. If i was asked to do something like this to a valuable guitar i generally refuse

but they say the 335 was deemed 'unusable' by the owner until the installation. Now its his go-to guitar. sounds like a win.

yeah an unusable 60's 335 is still unusable... although I guess you could sell it for millions and get a solid workhorse guitar and a house instead.

You know its a very cool idea and I really would like to possibly try this system but a guitar can NOT be perfectly intonated, its virtually impossible unless you install a true temperament neck, stick to the same guages and tuning... :D

http://www.truetemperament.com

Unless this system actually moves and tunes the strings when you play chords for compensation.....

You know its a very cool idea and I really would like to possibly try this system but a guitar can NOT be perfectly intonated, its virtually impossible unless you install a true temperament neck, stick to the same guages and tuning... :D

http://www.truetemperament.com

Unless this system actually moves and tunes the strings when you play chords for compensation.....

I think the idea is that it holds whatever pitch the open string is tuned to. I don't think it has anything to do with intonation, just the mechanical stability of the string.

So you could intonate the guitar poorly and leave it out of tune and this system would keep it like that, against changing weather conditions, string bends, playing like an animal, etc.

Hmmm...hmmm...there's always a catch, always. Until i get to try one out for myself, i ain't singing no praise. I still feel that major improvement in e-guitar world is the Alumitone, the (almost) no-winding pickups, so simple a solution it makes you laugh, but i do agree they tend to sound bit character-less.

I wanna try one of these Evertune thingies, thats for sure. Bends (judging from videos) sound too precise, like sorta Autotune where you can't hit wrong note...

Anybody checked that guitar that was made by 30-or-so designers and was supposedly the best thing since sliced bread? It has strange half hollowed body with strange open body-wings and what not...I forgot its name, and that's saying something...

Edited by Moriarty

but they say the 335 was deemed 'unusable' by the owner until the installation. Now its his go-to guitar. sounds like a win.

yeah an unusable 60's 335 is still unusable... although I guess you could sell it for millions and get a solid workhorse guitar and a house instead.

a 335 deemed 'unusable' by the owner is a 335 that needs work from a professional. it is not suddenly a guiatr to chop to bits

a 335 deemed 'unusable' by the owner is a 335 that needs work from a professional. it is not suddenly a guiatr to chop to bits

+1

David Levita, guitarist for Alanis Morissette, had a problem. His beloved ’62 Gibson 335 was on her last legs. With decaying tuners, she couldn’t stay in tune more than 30 minutes

maybe they should have just tried new tuners i know it would decress the value of teh guitar but probably not nearly as bad as cutting a huge whole in it.

btw my guess would be that it holes a set amount of tension on each string keeping it in tune.

I'm always very, very iffy when I see new guitar inventions and innovations. They're generally just trying to make a buck with a gimmick and usually aren't doing anything new (don't get me started on those guys).

This, however, is f***ing brilliant! An idea that mechanically simple that can pull that off is a stroke of genius. Of course, until I see it work, I can't say for sure, but huge props for just the idea.

Edited by NotYou

Yeah, i did sound maybe a bit negative, i love seeing people being inventive and come up with stuff (like evertune) that is actually useful! Its just -- I just saw ad in one guitar magazine, advertising sorta MIDI guitar with plastic string that "needs no tuning and gives you no blisters on fingers!" - I'm mean, its like taking the salt and pepper off it! You know, "let us wrap you in cotton wool and download all knowledge into your brain". Sorry, but no pain, no gain...

Edited by Moriarty