Osorio - War Beast 4 String Bass

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not a big fan of the spiral, but I do like several of the "very metal" BC Rich shapes. Got to say that I preferred the bevels also, but of course this is not my bass. I'd love to make a nice Mockingbird one day, for example. Is the new owner really into it yet? Always a good time.

Here's a quick tip for your tuner fitting....go one size up (16mm > 17mm) and put a run of masking tape on the inside and outer bearing faces. It's saved me from marring tuner bushings plenty a time. Or is that a trick of the light? :D

tunerbushingsafe.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

NP. I really enjoy your build threads Alessander. I noted that you use the Bosch GKF-600 laminate trimmer. Is that your main router? I am trying to build my toolset back up again and a new router is top of the list. Any complaints about it? I presume it is big enough to manage 12.7mm/0.5" roundovers.

Thinking about it, that spiral reminds me a lot of Rob Zombie's artwork back in his old White Zombie days. The big ol' spinning hypnotic go-go spiral-o-rama. :D

I noted that you use the Bosch GKF-600 laminate trimmer. Is that your main router? Any complaints about it?

I would like to know as well.

I love mine. It's been reliable. Can't beat'em for the price. It doesn't replace a good heavy plunge router with a big base for serious removal but can handle moderate removal and is nimble enough to one hand. For guitars, it can get you thru complete builds.

Edited by masterblastor

Thanks! Sounds like the ticket. I never think of routers as stock removal tools. A router is a shaper after all. The most arduous task I can think of for my current routing requirements is that 12.7mm roundover since there is a reasonable diameter and mass on that bit.

If I can afford it I'll go for that for definite. Its been on the cards for many a year since I had my last workshop. I think it is possible to source 6mm and 8mm Metric collets for it is also, meaning it is the best of both worlds.

It's a good tool in general.

I love mine too but There some things that could be better, the axis lock system to change the bit router, have a plastic cover that breaks faster, and the table lock system that if you are using a big router bit you'll have to adjust the lock pressure manualy. Router Bit vibration makes you lose the depth adjusts.

Today I din't bougth it, bougth an column router.

Someting like this:

5027c179c28b5e8e170f73796db51e94.jpg

I noted that you use the Bosch GKF-600 laminate trimmer. Is that your main router? Any complaints about it?

I have that same router..it is strong and light,but you can't see what you are routing,so you have to be careful not to push too hard into your templates,it wanders around too easily,and it is really easy for it to chatter and throw itself into a bind,which can get real scary real quick.It works best for small routs in light woods and it can really save a lot of trouble in tight spots,but the larger double handle models are much more comfortable..I like the big ryobi..I have one similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-ZRR163K-Peak-Horsepower-Router/dp/B0015GBIPO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320356089&sr=8-3

But depth changes are much easier and faster with the small Bosch.If I could find a router as comfy as the ryobi with a better depth change I would like it very much.

I have that same router..it is strong and light,but you can't see what you are routing,so you have to be careful not to push too hard into your templates,it wanders around too easily,and it is really easy for it to chatter and throw itself into a bind,which can get real scary real quick.It works best for small routs in light woods and it can really save a lot of trouble in tight spots,but the larger double handle models are much more comfortable..I like the big ryobi..I have one similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-ZRR163K-Peak-Horsepower-Router/dp/B0015GBIPO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320356089&sr=8-3

But depth changes are much easier and faster with the small Bosch.If I could find a router as comfy as the ryobi with a better depth change I would like it very much.

For sure, you have to make sure you are routing in the proper direction or it can get very scarey! :D If you get a chance try making a slightly larger "round" base out of some acrylic. It will calm down the wandering a bit.