dye sequence - all feathered together

black & brown / brown / brown & orange

1 coat of amber shellac over the top

wip39.jpg

dye sequence -

brown & orange / plain

1 coat of amber shellac over the top

wip40.jpg

This was my second attempt at finding the right combos for a traditional sunburst. I think I nailed it. :D

Wait...I just looked through the thread and that is the top of the guitar,isn't it?Why did you put a cavity cover on the top?Either that or this guitar has two backs?Isn't the thing with the F holes the top?

I am really confused as to what you have going on here...if you are running a cavity cover on the back,why put one on the top?

Something is missing from this thread

I'm making two at the same time. The birdseye one was done correctly.

This one is the back of the one with the f-holes. I carved the back as well to emulate a traditional arch-top acoustic.

Yes, with the back carved it's impossible to flip it over and use it anyway.

All I can do is make another back. Honestly, I'm more upset about wasting the wood than the lost time put into it.

I'm making two at the same time. The birdseye one was done correctly.

This one is the back of the one with the f-holes. I carved the back as well to emulate a traditional arch-top acoustic.

Yes, with the back carved it's impossible to flip it over and use it anyway.

All I can do is make another back. Honestly, I'm more upset about wasting the wood than the lost time put into it.

Oh okay...maybe you could soak it in water for a while and try to push the carve through to the other side?

I am only half joking...I think I might try it in your position...no guts no glory? :D

Oh okay...maybe you could soak it in water for a while and try to push the carve through to the other side?

I am only half joking...I think I might try it in your position...no guts no glory? :D

I only carved the outside, not the inside. I only wanted it to look like an archtop. :D

Oh well. It's only one piece of three that had to be scraped this week, and not the most expensive of the bunch either. I had to tear apart a cherry neck and a 1-piece cocobolo neck as well. The coco really hurt me, but ya do what ya gotta do.

I didn't leave myself much room there! The line after the end of the t/r is the 20th fret. About 1/4" past that is the end of the fretboard.

wip49.jpg

So I'm seeing how it would work out to do an acoustic bridge with archtop-like height adjustments. I'm thinkiing about trying to carve my own archtop bridge from wenge also. The big reason for the acoustic bridge is for the piezo. Should I go with a traditional archtop style, I'll have to affix the piezo to the bottom of the bridge, and I don't really like the idea of that.

wip50.jpg

wip51.jpg

Should all else fail, I have a Peavey hard tail bridge that's is really good condition that I can fall back on. It'll match up well visually with the older Teisco HBs I'll be putting into it.