Figured Olive Ash Bass

jaycee

Another Bass build for me. As soon as my mate saw the Bass that I had built for my brother he wanted one built for himself.

34" Scale length, Black hardware

Figured Olive Ash top

Cocobolo Fretboard

Cocobolo headstock plate.............All 3 from Andy at Prime Timbers

Maple/Walnut 6 laminate neck

3 piece Ash body

BodyShape.jpg

TopFretboardNeckblanks2.jpg

Backblank2.jpg

• 5 months later...

Found it hard to get anything done over the winter, but got back into the swing of it recently.

DSCF32091.jpg

Going to give this a try so that the fretboard is held in place when gluing.

Fretboardguides.jpg

6 pieces of spruce glued to the waste side of the neck tight up to the fretboard side.

Once the fretboard is clamped I will tap the pieces off.

Very simple should work a treat...... :-\

It worked a treat.

I had a bit of a mishap whilst routering the headstock down to thickness.

Anyway by the time I sorted it out, I have ended up with a 12.5mm thick headstock. I'm not to concerned with the machine head bushings, as I can take these down to the required thickness.

But I am thinking of strength issues with a headstock this thin, it does however have a 3mm Cocobolo veneer on it.

My gut feeling is that it should be alright. If it isn't then I will try and put a veneer on it which will be a little tricky as I have already shaped the volute

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a bit more work done on the neck.

After I carve the profile at the headstock and heel I use the spokeshave to remove most of the stock, then mark the neck with a pencil and sand with the sanding stick. This will get the neck nice and flat, taking out any high spots. If any more profiling needs to be done, which by this time is minimal I use the sanding stick like a rasp so not much comes off, then finish off with the sanding belt shoeshine fashion, and along the length.

NeckCarvefinishish.jpg

Love the body shape. It seems like one can get away with more interesting shapes for basses without it looking strange.

So far everything looks very clean and precise. It's a shame you couldn't get that knot in the fingerboard to be at the 12th fret though :peace

Thanks.

The closest I could get it was at the 13th, it would have been great if it was at the 12th.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got this build completed!!!

Bodyfront.jpg

Jacksckt.jpg

Fullfront.jpg

FullBack.jpg

Sounds great, the Entwistle (neck pickup) punches well above it's weight considering it's price and is nice and crisp with clear tones, whilst the Wilkinson MM is not dissimilar but more of a full bodied sound.
This is the second time I have used the Entwistle and Wilkinson in my Bass builds albeit the previous Wilkinson was a P90 style and they don't disappoint.