Tone Factor - Woods

I was just wondering what are the real factors that affect tone. For instance, a pieced-together guitar vs a factory made one, assuming everything down to the screws are the same. Technically if the body is made of the same material, then there shouldn't be much difference in tone right? Or how about a Ibanez GRG that has modded pickups and hardware to match a similar RG. Would these sounds close to each other?

Every tree sounds different. That short answer is yes if you build a guitar to factory specs then they are gonna sound very close. When you start swaping things out its gonna sound differnt. Now the questio. Is how close and how different are they gonna be. If you swap out a trem for a hard tail bridge your gonna notice quite a bit of difference but say a set of locking tuners probably won't do much. Wood tone is tricky I will say different woods do effect tone but you can sub some woods without changing much.

Just don't use brass screws...those things will kill your tone.I also don't like plastic inlay dots because they make me play funny.

And whatever you do make sure you have the wood blessed by a priest...bad spirits can invade your guitar and then it will only play Silverchair...and one band playing Silverchair is enough.

Just don't use brass screws...those things will kill your tone.I also don't like plastic inlay dots because they make me play funny.

And whatever you do make sure you have the wood blessed by a priest...bad spirits can invade your guitar and then it will only play Silverchair...and one band playing Silverchair is enough.

But remember that you have to have the right kind of priest for the music you are playing. If you use the wrong priest all you solos will come off like the do re mi song from the sounds of music.

But remember that you have to have the right kind of priest for the music you are playing. If you use the wrong priest all you solos will come off like the do re mi song from the sounds of music.

This is true, unless it is blessed by Judas Priest, then it will rock, but only after midnight.

I was just wondering what are the real factors that affect tone. For instance, a pieced-together guitar vs a factory made one, assuming everything down to the screws are the same. Technically if the body is made of the same material, then there shouldn't be much difference in tone right? Or how about a Ibanez GRG that has modded pickups and hardware to match a similar RG. Would these sounds close to each other?

It's easier to figure out the things that don't affect tone from the smallest item upwards. Start at the pickup selector switch cap and work backwards. :D

I'm sure there are many many 'micro' factors that affect tone, but how many of these subtle nuances can actually pass a blind test? I read the basswoods of different grades produce different tones. But since wood grades are generally determined by their color and grain (correct me if I'm wrong), how accurate a gauge is this? Kinda like racism, no?

I'm sure there are many many 'micro' factors that affect tone, but how many of these subtle nuances can actually pass a blind test? I read the basswoods of different grades produce different tones. But since wood grades are generally determined by their color and grain (correct me if I'm wrong), how accurate a gauge is this? Kinda like racism, no?

It's tough to say. I think it depends on whose ears are listening. But I would say that most guitarists couldn't tell the difference between, Basswood, Alder, Mahogany, and Rosewood...at least in terms of sound. Did you ever see the movie, "The Red Violin?" There's a scene where they have violinists play a bunch of old violins, and while the artists are all quite sure they're correct, they're almost always wrong. It plays out in real life with guitars too.

The tone conversation usually goes like this:

OP: What is tonewood then?

First poster brings something about wood type and other things based on years of experience of good wood and historical examples.

Second poster brings science to the table and quantifies things that are verifiable and repeatable based on observation.

Third poster crosses his chest and talks about voodoo for ages whilst vacillating between whether it is real or not and that you just have to take it on faith.

First poster laughs this all off amiably and moves gently back and forth on the rocking chair, secretly laughing at the debate.

Third poster points out that Jimi's guitars were all imbued with some strange moonbeam powered harmonic spackulators.

Moderators simultaneously doe facepalms.

Second poster asks for citations.

Fourth poster jumps in and says "nice 1, ROFLLOLARSE" adding nothing to the conversation.

Third poster pours more fuel on the fire with anecdotes and circumstantial "evidence".

First poster grumbles something about running out of whisky and buggers off back into the house.

All conversations about guitar tone are merely variations on this theme. Always have and always will. :D